Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant 2020 Thread

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Little Meat Market has had some cancellations so if yOu do want to get there this week then you may still get a table.

In other news ex-Upper Gardner Street residents Silo just got a glowing review in the Times so the move looks to have been a good one. Fair play.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Wow. If I was in town I’d be bang up for this. Be interesting to read your review.

Will keep it short as hangover+remnants of a cold have combined to leave me fuzzy headed

Little Meat Market

Started in the Craft Beer Co which had Buxton Spa pale on the pumps which was a ****ing delight. Proper beer.

Anyway on to the LIttle Fish Market where the delightful front of house, Rob, has left. The two ladies that are FoH these days are alright, but there’s definitely a different feel to the service. One of them was only 5 days in and I found her less than subtle attempts at pushing the additionals (another bottle? So what about the cheese then etc) a little grating. Rob clearly hard act to follow. Anyhoo

Here’s the menu

LFM2.jpg

Snacks – great start, tartare amazing.
Egg – very clever cooking, warm and comforting and just a hint of the chorizo.
Foie gras – this was the misstep for me, though possibly because the wife is not an offal person and I had to eat nearly two portions. I think a pate would have been fine but at the levels he cooks at I suppose it had to be Foie. Quince was lost and the brioche was overly dry.
Veal – Again, two portions, but this time I was more than happy. Excellent.
Pigeon – Stand out #1. Incredibly light Indian flavours through it and the cocoa and pistachio crumb thing was so well done. Brilliant.
Lamb – Another very tight piece of cooking, the parsnip puree thing was possibly a bit rich for my taste and the two portions of Foie was kicking in now. But luckily…
Dessert - BOOM. Amazing. Beautiful ice cream and a great way to finish the whole shebang. Best dish. 5 stars, 10 out of 10.

Overall loads of flavour and skill as is to be expected of Duncan Ray, hope I didn’t offend when I told him the pudding was my favourite course.

So, a really good time was had and nice to see the place full in January.

8.5/10

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Wish we'd done this but both recovering from some flu / cold thing so wasn't 100% sure how much we would appreciate it but it looks spot on.

Also, who is creating the 2020 thread ? :)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Well in [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]

Was thinking about doing the same but not sure if I had the permissions.

Anyway - Rob leaving LFM? Arghh! He was brilliant.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
For some reason I've an urge to get a Chicago Style Pizza Pie after a visit to Paxti's in California...

Not heard of any authentic outlets in Brighton/Hove...there's Japes in Soho that looks good - drool

Anyone?

Yes I have religiously been watching The Pizza Show on Vice to whet my appetite - sorry is a bit below the usual culinary standards of these threads

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Just moved to Chichester. Already mourning the loss of proximity to 64 Degrees, Bincho Yakitori, LFM, The Urchin, Curry Leaf etc.

Any locals able to point me in the direction of anything interesting in the far West?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Just moved to Chichester. Already mourning the loss of proximity to 64 Degrees, Bincho Yakitori, LFM, The Urchin, Curry Leaf etc.

Any locals able to point me in the direction of anything interesting in the far West?

Farmer Butcher Chef at Goodwood is good. There is quite a few independent 'bistro' type places in Chichester that are pretty decent. I had lunch at Purchases a few months ago which was good

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Forgot to say - anyone in Worthing avoid Spice I Am on Goring Road.

I was subjected to 2 take aways over the festive period (not my choice) and 1 took 2 hours, then got food missing items. The second one was also missing food items and the food was appalling. Deep friend prawns still with the crunchy tails on, in a curry. Chicken with small quantity of chicken. Some of it was freezing cold. Absolute shite.

Go to Thai Chai Yo instead

monty uk

Sep 25, 2018
McTavish.....

Parsons Table in Arundel. The only restaurant we go to now in this area - We live even further to the dark side, and are the other side of Chichester to Brighton.. Richmond Arms in West Ashling is also very good, but we have tired of it - the menu doesn't change often enough. Or perhaps the style of it.

If you find anywhere as good, please let me know, we're always on the lookout in this area.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen

In the city there is a couple of really good tapas restaurants, one is called Arties Kitchen which I particularly like, and another called Viento de Levante slightly away from the centre.

The hinterland around Chi is your friend though, some excellent places including the aforementioned Farmer, Butcher, Chef. The Richmond Arms in West Ashling is somewhere I regularly plagarise from, The Horseguard's Inn in Tillington is a cosy country pub with interesting beer and high end cooking, and The Crab and Lobster in Sidlesham has a rosette or two and is the place to go to for seafood.
Honorable mentions go to The Fox and Hounds in Funtingdon for a decent carvery, The Fox Goes Free in Charlton and The Partridge in Singleton. You get the picture, rural West Sussex pubs with decent chefs.

I would add that if you're new to the city and you like beer then The Hornet Alehouse is a good place to start. Very friendly and huge variety of impeccably kept beer.

Welcome!

Jul 7, 2003

Not high end but can recommend The Pass street food café on Southgate. Guy has worked for loads of Brighton restaurants before initially having a food van and now a small café with very good burgers and interesting other lunchtime / early evening options.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Etch

9 course menu plus decent Burgundy and a cocktail each for two: £270

Nitpicks:
Slightly slow on the wine order
Lots of courses were marmitey; the bread, the meat sauces were all extremely umami-ey.

Positives:
Great to have a variety of servers
Informal and friendly
Great bogs

Standout items:
Mushroom doughnut 10/10
Granny Smith sorbet 10/10
Parsley Soup 10/10
Bread & Seaweed Butter 10/10

Overall I would recommend- it was a really really lovely meal - but I reckon they are somewhere short of * worthy. At that price they should probably do slightly better?

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Literally or metaphorically...?

One (the bread) had marmite in it, which I suppose is what switched my mind onto the idea. A few others had that strong savoury saltiness that you get when you add marmite to your chilli or somesuch. It's not necessarily bad, it's just that they were very dark and rich and, for want of a better word, marmitey.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
One (the bread) had marmite in it, which I suppose is what switched my mind onto the idea. A few others had that strong savoury saltiness that you get when you add marmite to your chilli or somesuch. It's not necessarily bad, it's just that they were very dark and rich and, for want of a better word, marmitey.

I suppose some will really love that in a meal, and others hate it.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Etch

9 course menu plus decent Burgundy and a cocktail each for two: £270

Nitpicks:
Slightly slow on the wine order
Lots of courses were marmitey; the bread, the meat sauces were all extremely umami-ey.

Positives:
Great to have a variety of servers
Informal and friendly
Great bogs

Standout items:
Mushroom doughnut 10/10
Granny Smith sorbet 10/10
Parsley Soup 10/10
Bread & Seaweed Butter 10/10

Overall I would recommend- it was a really really lovely meal - but I reckon they are somewhere short of * worthy. At that price they should probably do slightly better?

You're a'vin a larf methinks... £270 for 2 and you describe some courses as "marmitey"???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here