Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant 2020 Thread

Falmer Wizard

Jun 23, 2020
Yo. Last night we finally got round to trying the Little Fish & Chip Shop on Upper Hollingdean Road. Started up by the guy from Baby Bao at the Pond it offers up regular chippy stuff with some amazing sounding specials. Being our first visit we went straight up cod and chips with some salt and pepper squid. It was all really good and decent value at 30 quid all in which included a completely unnecessary portions of chips (1 large is plenty for three people) and a pot of some of the best tartare sauce I’ve ever had, but I still felt a bit flat about it. I think fish and chips really needs to be eaten straight away and not have to travel at all. Anyway, I will visit again for the specials which included southern friend tofu, slaw and chips and loaded chips with crab. Also available proper jumbo sausages and a fiendish sounding deep fried frankfurter with cheese. I give it 8/10 as it was definitely high quality gear but if you want proper fish and chips just go to Wolfies innit as they are unbeatable. Will review again as I think the specials good tip them up to an 8.5.

Bye now.

Have you tried Bankers in Western RD??

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Can anybody provide a recommendation for a good-value pub/restaurant for a quick spot of brunch: just off the A27 or M27, eastbound between Southampton and Brighton? We don't want this to break the bank, but for the food to be of decent quality.

Visting Brighton for a couple of days with a friend, we're driving and looking for a better alternative to your average service stations en-route.
Crown and Anchor, Dell Quay. Best to book. https://www.crownandanchorchichester.com/

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Yamu Yamu in Worthing

Run by a couple of fairly young girls, Japanese food but all cooked - gyozas, rice bowls, Katsu currys etc. Good range of canned craft beer too and excellent cocktails.

Went in at 2 and place was full, excellent food as always and good atmosphere. Worth checking out for a relaxed lunch / dinner. Fourth visit and always good

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Wild Flor
Not sure if anyone has featured this before, but it's very, very good at wine, whereas the food is somewhat disappointing. The name intimates its strength, and they really do have some interesting, good quality, relatively well priced wines. We spent far too much money, in drinking plenty: Equipos Navazos Fino; an Etna Bianco; a Mondeuse; a Xinomaravo, which was the wine of the night; a cheeky Baden Syrah (never knew it was planted there); and then some Jurancon and Tokaji to finish.
The food was well executed and was decent enough, but only one dish really shone (pollack with leeks), whereas others were disappointing. It's difficult to identify precisely what the problem is but it might be that the head chef's palate isn't up to much, or has a vastly different one to mine. Both my starter and main had too much vinegar/acidity, and I'm tolerant of -- and often welcome -- high acid foods. These were peppers, lardo and aioli on toast, and pork loin with squash and bergamot, with the bergamot too high and of the various types of squash on the plate, the pickled one was also dominant. As with their wine, their sourcing is very good: we had some great olives, and cheeses, and the only dessert we had was a triumph: cold rice pudding with cardamom and blackberry.
So, plenty to cheer about in so many areas with the exception of probably where things matter the most in a restaurant.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Have you tried Bankers in Western RD??

Yep, Bankers is right up there too.

Should mention I went back to the Little Fish & Chip Shop and was underwhelmed for a second time.

Also made it to Five Star Kebabs who had a pop up at Platf9rm. Posh kebabs at high end prices. Basically all of the food was great, though I thought the duck kebab was a misstep. The gunpowder quail was superb. 60 quid for a couple of kebabs, two sides and three drinks if ****ing keen as you like though so left a bit bemused by it all. Oh yeah, the breads was incredible. Popping up at Trenchmore Farm next weekend I think. Worth a go but just get something simple and the chicken shish was really good. 6/10 (Too pricey otherwise 7/10)

Last edited:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Off to Fourth & Church tonight, which is nice.

Fourth & Church is ****ing good. Can't be bothered to write a review but there was a steak tartare served with cured galician beef which was proper nice and some tomatoes with a ridiculously nice goats cheese too. Wine on point as usual.

9/10 second best restaurant in town (that I've been to).

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Fourth & Church is ****ing good. Can't be bothered to write a review but there was a steak tartare served with cured galician beef which was proper nice and some tomatoes with a ridiculously nice goats cheese too. Wine on point as usual.

9/10 second best restaurant in town (that I've been to).

Oh, agreed, my current top three are:
1 LFM
2 4&C
3 CinCin (although I haven't been to 64 Degrees for a while)

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Surprise trip to Paco in Bristol tonight. Holds 1 Michelin star, rocked up and soundtrack to the restaurant is Drum & Bass. Wish us luck

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
2dc67f63b8e5a6c32995e355d554ca52.jpg

Leek Romesco. Leeks stuck in charcoal and roasted. Burnt outside and soft inside. Served with an incredible romesco sauce. Good scene setter (forgot photos of the bread and croquettes)

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
dc040d89f0be980f6b49cf9de015ad1b.jpg

Gambas Al Ajillo. Banging. And messy.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
628c43a4ce929d76df9b9ec54d3d9c20.jpg

Duroc Pork Ribs. 17 hours slow cooked then quick finish under the grill. Amazing.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Oh, agreed, my current top three are:
1 LFM
2 4&C
3 CinCin (although I haven't been to 64 Degrees for a while)

Can’t argue with that top 3. After umpteen visits to Vine Street I finally made my debut at Hove Cin Cin last weekend. Excellent as usual and the Frau and myself had a lovely evening.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
55fbd35ed906f2c28a1cde303b14d562.jpg

Lamb stew - preserved lemon, medjool dates, olives. Banging intense gravy but meat that melts in the mouth

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Anyone doing any Octoberbest ?

Seems to be getting tougher each year (although understandable this year)

I'm off to Lucky Khao this weekend, I like it there, the missus likes it and it looks like a good deal..

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Field & Fork in Chi have closed the restaurant since March but are doing a superior level of ready meal. They send you a menu on Saturday - choice of 5 from each course - you order and then collect (or they can deliver) dishes that you can heat up at home.

You have to give 48 hours notice so not really spur of the moment but the food is really good.

I had shrimp dahl and game lasagne. The dahl had an incredible depth and subtlety of flavour and four big juicy king prawns and the lasagne was a proper slab with big chunks of venison and a rich sauce Both worked very well for the heat-it-at-home model.

Mrs McT had parmesan arancini - crisp on the outside, moist in the middle and a seatrout and crab "Wellington" which was also top notch.

Total cost was £36.00 so not cheap for a takeaway but as a treat I thought it was VGFM and it was good to be able to support a local business who must be having a difficult time.

If you want the menu drop them a line here: reservations@fieldandfork.co.uk

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Anyone doing any Octoberbest ?

Seems to be getting tougher each year (although understandable this year)

I'm off to Lucky Khao this weekend, I like it there, the missus likes it and it looks like a good deal..

Booked Salt Room for Monday lunch - posh fish and chips with mushy peas :)sick:) carafe of wine and desserts -£20 so it’d better be significantly better than Sky High’s cod and chips and a pineapple fritter.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Went to Pitch (finally)

Pretty impressive as well, excellent setting, extremely good food and not as pricey as I was expecting.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
The ever excellent Fourth and Church last night. Good to see they were really busy. Menu has changed a bit with more eastern flavours appearing - chicken thighs with kimchi, aubergine/miso - these were great but I prefer the Spanish/ North African stuff. The duck beignets with piquillo ketchup were a highlight. The cauliflower dish seems to have gone as well. They also now have a charcoal grill so larger dishes featured steak, octopus, trout, duck hearts and aubergine available.
A well known restaurant critic was in there so maybe we’ll see a review in one of the papers in the near future.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here