Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Rail Engineering Works, Sat Jan 18...Villa game

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
Firstly, for anyone travelling North after the game, Southern website is showing that there will be replacement busses from Brighton to Three Bridges and from Lewes to Haywards Heath on Jan 18, when we are home to Villa.

I have to be at Gatwick by 7 pm. Probably just ok if I leave the game right at the final whistle but it might be a bit touch and go if there are a lot of folks queuing for the replacement busses.

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether it would be better to go via Brighton or Lewes ? Or, any other possible ways to make this trip ?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Firstly, for anyone travelling North after the game, Southern website is showing that there will be replacement busses from Brighton to Three Bridges and from Lewes to Haywards Heath on Jan 18, when we are home to Villa.

I have to be at Gatwick by 7 pm. Probably just ok if I leave the game right at the final whistle but it might be a bit touch and go if there are a lot of folks queuing for the replacement busses.

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether it would be better to go via Brighton or Lewes ? Or, any other possible ways to make this trip ?

I have previously chosen Lewes as the slight lesser of two evils.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill

Didnt know, so thanks for this. Car to Lewes for us i think..

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

Personally I'd get a cab from Falmer to Gatwick. Get them to pick you up outside the train station ticket office and you'll have a stress free journey.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007

According to Southern and National Rail sites is says bus service Haywards Heath- Brighton and back, not Three Bridges. Where did you see Three Bridges?

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
According to Southern and National Rail sites is says bus service Haywards Heath- Brighton and back, not Three Bridges. Where did you see Three Bridges?

This Southern site says Three Bridges...https://www.southernrailway.com/tra...k?date=2020-01-18#engineering-departure-board

But I saw another one which says Three Bridges from Brighton and Haywards Heath from Lewes.

Thanks everyone for your advice. A taxi from Falmer to Gatwick looks like about 70 quid. But from Lewes to Haywards Heath it is about 35 quid.

I think my plan is to leave right at the final whistle and leg it to the station. Get a train to Lewes. Then, get the replacement bus to HH or TB, whichever it is, unless this seems too slow. Backup would be taxi from Lewes to HH or TB.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
This Southern site says Three Bridges...https://www.southernrailway.com/tra...k?date=2020-01-18#engineering-departure-board

But I saw another one which says Three Bridges from Brighton and Haywards Heath from Lewes.

Thanks everyone for your advice. A taxi from Falmer to Gatwick looks like about 70 quid. But from Lewes to Haywards Heath it is about 35 quid.

I think my plan is to leave right at the final whistle and leg it to the station. Get a train to Lewes. Then, get the replacement bus to HH or TB, whichever it is, unless this seems too slow. Backup would be taxi from Lewes to HH or TB.

I'd respectfully suggest the opposite to your plan. In a numbers game, always go with the route with the most transport options. Brighton has far more replacement bus options than Lewes. Some of them are sometimes non-stoppers that go directly to where the train re-starts. There may well be a Gatwick Express replacement bus that goes direct from Brighton to Gatwick. Brighton also has far more taxi options, including Uber.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This is a pain. I am meeting a friend in Lewes after the game and need to get back to Gatwick last thing. Looking at the revised timetable I will need a taxi from Lewes to Gatwick.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
This is a pain. I am meeting a friend in Lewes after the game and need to get back to Gatwick last thing. Looking at the revised timetable I will need a taxi from Lewes to Gatwick.

See post above yours. Do you REALLY want to be stuck in a county town with about a dozen randomly functioning taxis when you could get the train back to Brighton after your Lewes session and be relatively spoilt for transport options? How many times does it need repeating? Brighton is set up for mass transit to LGW. Lewes? Not so much.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
See post above yours. Do you REALLY want to be stuck in a county town with about a dozen randomly functioning taxis when you could get the train back to Brighton after your Lewes session and be relatively spoilt for transport options? How many times does it need repeating? Brighton is set up for mass transit to LGW. Lewes? Not so much.

You have a point. Is the Lewes taxi scene really this bad?

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
I'd respectfully suggest the opposite to your plan. In a numbers game, always go with the route with the most transport options. Brighton has far more replacement bus options than Lewes. Some of them are sometimes non-stoppers that go directly to where the train re-starts. There may well be a Gatwick Express replacement bus that goes direct from Brighton to Gatwick. Brighton also has far more taxi options, including Uber.

Good points, although in the past there has been no Gatwick Express replacement bus.

I've had to face very long queues for replacement busses at Brighton before and hoped it would be better at Lewes. But it certainly would be so much better at Brighton if I need a taxi. And, of course there will be a more constant stream of busses from Brighton.

Plan officially reversed.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
You have a point. Is the Lewes taxi scene really this bad?

I can only speak for the very few times I've been forced to use them. There's space for about three or four cabs outside the station, and a ramshackle taxi office across the road. Personally I wouldn't risk being snookered there, either with or without a prior booking. Others with greater faith in the Lewes transport infrastructure may have other views obviously.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I can only speak for the very few times I've been forced to use them. There's space for about three or four cabs outside the station, and a ramshackle taxi office across the road. Personally I wouldn't risk being snookered, with or without a prior booking. Others may think otherwise.

I guess I’ll go for the last train and pop into the taxi office. If there’s a taxi take it, if not train to Brighton and taxi to Gatwick.

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
I guess I’ll go for the last train and pop into the taxi office. If there’s a taxi take it, if not train to Brighton and taxi to Gatwick.

You must be very late if you are travelling when there would have been no trains and hence there will not be replacement busses.

There is a National Express coach from Brighton to Gatwick at 22.55 and they start again in the small hours.

Jul 7, 2003

Why not just pre-book a cab with a Lewes taxi company? Means you can enjoy your evening without worrying about your onward travel.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You must be very late if you are travelling when there would have been no trains and hence there will not be replacement busses.

There is a National Express coach from Brighton to Gatwick at 22.55 and they start again in the small hours.

There are trains, via Littlehampton, and replacement buses, but these take forever. I plan to leave Lewes around 23:30 and prefer to get into bed at a decent hour.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Why not just pre-book a cab with a Lewes taxi company? Means you can enjoy your evening without worrying about your onward travel.

Good point. But I prefer the flexibility of going home when I’m finished with the pub crawl and curry as opposed to a pre-determined time. Whilst I’ve booked the curry house, if we finish early I’ll be hanging around. If the curry takes time I’ll be rushing my vindaloo.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Oh bollox. Arriving at Gatwick at 11.30 tomorrow morning. Wish me luck.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here