Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Clash - 40 years on from London Calling, do you agree with this list?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
A reminder about how good they were and the spectrum of music thye covered.

Probably agree with top 5, except for Straight to Hell. A great song butwould probably have Safe European Home in there instead.

Re Train in Vain being Pete Townsend's favourite Clash song - In January 1980, they did (two?) gigs at the The Top Rank, and Townsend got up an played with them on one night. I was due to go but was not allowed in as I was under 18. Anyone here see this gig?

I was there (and I was only 17).

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
U2 at Top Rank or Jenkinsons? I saw them at Jenkinsons (which was up stars at the Top rank wasn't it?). Also so the Comsat Angels, Echo and the Bunnymen, Ten Pole Tudor and Athletico Spizz 80 there. Utterly fabtastic :cheers:

In yer actual Top Rank at that time I saw the Stiff tour (Costello, Dury, Larry Wallis, Wreckless Eric and someone else), the Stranglers (with Dutch bikers in the audience), Doctors of Madness....

Back to The Clash, I lost interest after London's Calling. Boy, what a mistake. I liked the odd track I'd heard, so bought all the missing CDs about six months ago. I absolutely love Sandinista, so varied, and with amazing guest singers. This has to be in my Clash top five:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtWdVX6LS8w

I recall at Jenkinsons was under the Top Rank with entry on the sea front, seem to recall that most gigs there were on Sundays (when disco was closed).
At Jenkinsons I can recall seeing John Cooper Clark , Toyah, Bad Manners

Top Rank can recall in addition to the Clash and U2 - Squeeze, Stranglers, Wreckless Eric, John Cooper Clark, Pretenders, UB40, Elvis Costello, Steve Hillage and some others that I can't recall.
Also had tickets for the Specials/Madness but sold my ticket outside as the North London skinheads had come down, Seemed like a good move given the amount of violence inside.

Anyway back to The Clash, my personal favourite on Sandinista is The Call Up

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
I recall at Jenkinsons was under the Top Rank with entry on the sea front, seem to recall that most gigs there were on Sundays (when disco was closed).

Top Rank can recall in addition to the Clash and U2 - Squeeze, Stranglers, Wreckless Eric, John Cooper Clark, Pretenders, UB40, Elvis Costello, Steve Hillage and some others that I can't recall.
Also had tickets for the Specials/Madness but sold my ticket outside as the North London skinheads had come down, Seemed like a good move given the amount of violence inside."

Yes, there was a spell 1980-ish when Jenkinsons allowed up-and-coming bands to play on Sunday evenings- I saw UB40, U2, Toyah, and various posts-punk bands there. In those days, Sundays were really boring - shops closed all day, no computers, no social media, no Sky football, and only 3 channels on the telly (Channel 4 started in 1982). Plus it always rained on Sundays, so you were stuck indoors all-day, bored senseless. So going to a gig on a Sunday night was great; something to look forward to finish off the weekend.

Saw The Stranglers 2-3 times at The Top Rank, plus sundry other 'New Wave' bands who I can't remember now.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

…...

Yes, there was a spell 1980-ish when Jenkinsons allowed up-and-coming bands to play on Sunday evenings- I saw UB40, U2, Toyah, and various posts-punk bands there. In those days, Sundays were really boring - shops closed all day, no computers, no social media, no Sky football, and only 3 channels on the telly (Channel 4 started in 1982). Plus it always rained on Sundays, so you were stuck indoors all-day, bored senseless. So going to a gig on a Sunday night was great; something to look forward to finish off the weekend.

Saw The Stranglers 2-3 times at The Top Rank, plus sundry other 'New Wave' bands who I can't remember now.

I only ever saw one gig at Jenkinsons.
Black Uhuru, I reckon it was on the 'red' tour so probably '81?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Also had tickets for the Specials/Madness but sold my ticket outside as the North London skinheads had come down, Seemed like a good move given the amount of violence inside.

Yes, the call up is superb.

Yes, Sunday nights at Jenkinsons, entrance on the sea front.

I saw the Specials and Madness, now you mention it. Also I think I saw The Specials played at the Art College (or is it the Poly? Pool Valley). I seem to recall seeing The Ruts there too, although I also saw them in London.

You were right about the agro. It was mayhem at the Specials gig at the art school/poly.

I also have a pencil with 'Daddy Yum Yum Saved My Soul' engraved in it. That was from a gig at the same venue. But I digress...... :lolol:

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
Yes, the call up is superb.

Yes, Sunday nights at Jenkinsons, entrance on the sea front.

I saw the Specials and Madness, now you mention it. Also I think I saw The Specials played at the Art College (or is it the Poly? Pool Valley). I seem to recall seeing The Ruts there too, although I also saw them in London.

You were right about the agro. It was mayhem at the Specials gig at the art school/poly.

I also have a pencil with 'Daddy Yum Yum Saved My Soul' engraved in it. That was from a gig at the same venue. But I digress...... :lolol:

Yep Jenkinsons was on the seafront, which later turned into Coasters. It was Madness that played at the Art College the weekend before the first date on The Two Tone tour at The Top Rank. Probably more trouble at The Madness gig than there was at The Two Tone gig a week later. This was highlighted by the Nutty Skins confronting Leeds fans outside the King and Queen (we played Leeds that day). I also saw The Ruts at The Art College. had to be quick on that one as we played Charlton away as well.
Going back to Pete Townsend on stage with The Clash (which was 40 years ago today, by the way) my memory was Townsend was stuck firmly at the back by the monitors to avoid being drenched in gob.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Yes, I was there. one the two best gigs I saw the Top Rank (U2 was the other one)

From memory Pete came on for the encore and looked like he had been enjoying a drink or 20 during the gig.

Missed The Clash at the Top rank - sadly too young - but saw the U2 gig which, I agree, is right up there. Saw The Clash at the Centre which remains my favourite gig of all time.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Definitely the Correct one for Number one, surprised that White Riot was so far down the list though.

Agree on both points.

As others have said, this could be debated all day long - I'd definitely have Safe European Home, The Card Cheat and Police and Thieves in my top 10.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Very good 40 songs but in my top 40 at least 3 would be in the top ten.
32- Guns of Brixton.
28-Police & Thieves.
16-Safe European Home.
I like and play the above far more than Rock the Casbah ( number 11 )

Number 1 is the correct choice and I'm pleased to see Stay Free at number 9.

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
U2 at Top Rank or Jenkinsons? I saw them at Jenkinsons (which was up stars at the Top rank wasn't it?). Also so the Comsat Angels, Echo and the Bunnymen, Ten Pole Tudor and Athletico Spizz 80 there. Utterly fabtastic :cheers:

In yer actual Top Rank at that time I saw the Stiff tour (Costello, Dury, Larry Wallis, Wreckless Eric and someone else), the Stranglers (with Dutch bikers in the audience), Doctors of Madness....

Back to The Clash, I lost interest after London's Calling. Boy, what a mistake. I liked the odd track I'd heard, so bought all the missing CDs about six months ago. I absolutely love Sandinista, so varied, and with amazing guest singers. This has to be in my Clash top five:

Jenks was ground floor , entrance where costa coffee is now , kings road ,

Nick Lowe was the other Stiff ,

My Besestt gig at Top rank was Talking Heads , Dire straits supported , lol

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton

Jenks was ground floor , entrance where costa coffee is now , kings road ,

Nick Lowe was the other Stiff ,

My Besestt gig at Top rank was Talking Heads , Dire straits supported , lol

Last edited:

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010

Indeed jenkinsons was on the sea front. I believe it was the venue that became Coasters.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Indeed jenkinsons was on the sea front. I believe it was the venue that became Coasters.

Correct.
I saw lots of bands there on Suday evenings ( Jenkinsons) I never had a problem getting in aged 15, unlike to Top Rank Suite that had a very strict no under 18s.

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
I had Sandinista as a Xmas present after it was first released. I can still feel/smell that Xmas to this day via this album. Not in the top 40 but one of my favourites from it is One More Time / One More Dub (must be consumed together)

Complete Control probably my overall favourite

Card Cheat was.....my mums favourite

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=otfnvGOAuvU

Last edited:

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Pleased to see garageland in there however white riot should be much higher. I would have Remote Control in there as well but as the first album is my favourite it’s not surprising.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dinner with Gotsmanov

NSC Patron
May 30, 2014
Worthing
Missed The Clash at the Top rank - sadly too young - but saw the U2 gig which, I agree, is right up there. Saw The Clash at the Centre which remains my favourite gig of all time.

I went to the Centre gig (July 82), great gig and got backstage afterwards and met all of them briefly. Terry Chimes was back drumming for them by then and was a top bloke (others all a bit preoccupied). Sort of made up for missing the Top Rank gig 2 and a half years before.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here