Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Clash - 40 years on from London Calling, do you agree with this list?

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Definitely the Correct one for Number one, surprised that White Riot was so far down the list though.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Having Train In Vain in the top 10, gives the list enough credibility for me.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Sophie's choice really.

I could argue the toss on the order, but I can't be arsed. Just shows how brilliant they were.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Sophie's choice really.

I could argue the toss on the order, but I can't be arsed. Just shows how brilliant they were.

This line says so much about the frequency and quality of their output

“So many great songs poured out of the Clash that this Mikey Dread-produced gem was almost thrown away as an import-only 45, which didn’t stop it making it No 12 in the UK charts. ”

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Definitely the Correct one for Number one, surprised that White Riot was so far down the list though.

Would have to be London Calling for me. Guns of Brixton and Gates of the West should be higher too. But 40 years on, what the list shows is just how many brilliant songs they made.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Yeah I could dick about with the order all day long, dependison my mood as to which is the greatest Clash song.

Charlie don't surf should be much higher in my opinion, but Straight to Hell at number 2 makes me happy. Incredibly good song.

Dinner with Gotsmanov

NSC Patron
May 30, 2014
Worthing
A reminder about how good they were and the spectrum of music thye covered.

Probably agree with top 5, except for Straight to Hell. A great song butwould probably have Safe European Home in there instead.

Re Train in Vain being Pete Townsend's favourite Clash song - In January 1980, they did (two?) gigs at the The Top Rank, and Townsend got up an played with them on one night. I was due to go but was not allowed in as I was under 18. Anyone here see this gig?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

Probably agree with top 5, except for Straight to Hell. A great song butwould probably have Safe European Home in there instead.

Re Train in Vain being Pete Townsend's favourite Clash song - In January 1980, they did (two?) gigs at the The Top Rank, and Townsend got up an played with them on one night. I was due to go but was not allowed in as I was under 18. Anyone here see this gig?

Yes, I was there. one the two best gigs I saw the Top Rank (U2 was the other one)

From memory Pete came on for the encore and looked like he had been enjoying a drink or 20 during the gig.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I was at that gig. Townshend was warmly received, which shows how the times had changed. Scritti Politti were the (brilliant) support.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yes, I was there. one the two best gigs I saw the Top Rank (U2 was the other one)

From memory Pete came on for the encore and looked like he had been enjoying a drink or 20 during the gig.

U2 at Top Rank or Jenkinsons? I saw them at Jenkinsons (which was up stars at the Top rank wasn't it?). Also so the Comsat Angels, Echo and the Bunnymen, Ten Pole Tudor and Athletico Spizz 80 there. Utterly fabtastic :cheers:

In yer actual Top Rank at that time I saw the Stiff tour (Costello, Dury, Larry Wallis, Wreckless Eric and someone else), the Stranglers (with Dutch bikers in the audience), Doctors of Madness....

Back to The Clash, I lost interest after London's Calling. Boy, what a mistake. I liked the odd track I'd heard, so bought all the missing CDs about six months ago. I absolutely love Sandinista, so varied, and with amazing guest singers. This has to be in my Clash top five:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtWdVX6LS8w

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
U2 at Top Rank or Jenkinsons? I saw them at Jenkinsons (which was up stars at the Top rank wasn't it?). Also so the Comsat Angels, Echo and the Bunnymen, Ten Pole Tudor and Athletico Spizz 80 there. Utterly fabtastic :cheers:

In yer actual Top Rank at that time I saw the Stiff tour (Costello, Dury, Larry Wallis, Wreckless Eric and someone else), the Stranglers (with Dutch bikers in the audience), Doctors of Madness....

Back to The Clash, I lost interest after London's Calling. Boy, what a mistake. I liked the odd track I'd heard, so bought all the missing CDs about six months ago. I absolutely love Sandinista, so varied, and with amazing guest singers. This has to be in my Clash top five:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtWdVX6LS8w

yeah a much maligned album in my youth - I was one of the few that swore by it.
Has actually got better with age.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm sure I can come up with better but my knee-jerk reaction to 'Best Gig at Top Rank' currently stands at:-

Pre-fame Transvision Vamp.

(Worst gig being Post-fame TVV)

Best Brighton gig is easier:-

Birdland @ The Zapp.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I'm sure I can come up with better but my knee-jerk reaction to 'Best Gig at Top Rank' currently stands at:-

Pre-fame Transvision Vamp.

(Worst gig being Post-fame TVV)

Best Brighton gig is easier:-

Birdland @ The Zapp.

Saw Ride with Mercury Rev supporting at the top rank... and also saw Psychedelic Furs with Bleach supporting at the Top Rank
Both were pretty good gigs.

Never saw the Clash.. but did see BAD at the Zap Club I think.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here