• NO

Votes: 129 49.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Once Elizabeth II has passed and finished her fine reign as our Monarch, should she be the last of this country's Royals? It would certainly be ending on a high note.

We then look to reforming the House of Lords, and an elected ceremonial President along with an elected 2nd house. Prime Minister and the commons to remain unchanged. Royal property to be given over to the state, National Trust, English Heritage etc.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
In, with changes:

4D9745A400000578-5883459-image-a-19_1529937658816.jpg

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
OUT - I disagree fundamentally with the concept of a Royal Family, but I don't agree with a lot of the vitriol aimed at the individual people.

'cept Andrew obviously. He's a wrong'un.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Out. I’m just not comfortable with the whole idea of individuals being put on pedestals to be bowed to by others; smacks of false idolatry to me. This goes for other types of celebrity to an extent.

I don’t think it does either side any good. Man should not worship man.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I can see how a monarch works as a constant in a democracy but I'd challenge the breadth of the wider Royal Family and the privileges that that attracts. Can you imagine trying to redistribute the crowns assets across the wider population now? I'll go a one bedroo flat in Buck House if it's going for free?

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I can see how a monarch works as a constant in a democracy but I'd challenge the breadth of the wider Royal Family and the privileges that that attracts. Can you imagine trying to redistribute the crowns assets across the wider population now? I'll go a one bedroo flat in Buck House if it's going for free?

Everyone will be given a democratic equal opportunity to book a night in the Trump Palace London hotel.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Out. I’m just not comfortable with the whole idea of individuals being put on pedestals to be bowed to by others; smacks of false idolatry to me. This goes for other types of celebrity to an extent.

I don’t think it does either side any good. Man should not worship man.

Bruno? Caledron?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I voted yes keep but only if Prince Charles plans to strip down the royal family as suggested

"Prince Charles is planning to strip back the royal family to just him, William, Harry, their wives and children when he becomes king in wake of Prince Andrew's Jeffrey Epstein scandal.Charles, 71, wants to cut down on the number of working royals after the Duke of York was forced to step down over his links to the convicted US paedophile"

This would have to include money allotted to the family, I personally think the family are good for the country and tourism. Charles seems like his children and at the forefront of some great ideas including the environment. Having said that I can fully understand why people want rid of the royal family, but to replace a royal head of the country would throw our hooligans in to chaos abroad.....

"God save our our noble president Boris, God save the president" does not have the same ring to it....

Any takers on that one ?

The heir to the throne has long been reported to want to slim down the royal family, but Andrew's scandal is believed to have accelerated his plans

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Voted to keep. I'd much rather have an non-political head of state - even by the chance of birth - than President Thatcher, Blair, Cameron, May, Farage or Johnson. Politicians divide people - indeed they are ****s generally, now show me how her maj has divided people ?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I voted yes keep but only if Prince Charles plans to strip down the royal family as suggested

"Prince Charles is planning to strip back the royal family to just him, William, Harry, their wives and children when he becomes king in wake of Prince Andrew's Jeffrey Epstein scandal.Charles, 71, wants to cut down on the number of working royals after the Duke of York was forced to step down over his links to the convicted US paedophile"

This would have to include money allotted to the family, I personally think the family are good for the country and tourism. Charles seems like his children and at the forefront of some great ideas including the environment. Having said that I can fully understand why people want rid of the royal family, but to replace a royal head of the country would throw our hooligans in to chaos abroad.....

"God save our our noble president Boris, God save the president" does not have the same ring to it....

Any takers on that one ?

The heir to the throne has long been reported to want to slim down the royal family, but Andrew's scandal is believed to have accelerated his plans

I don't understand why people think that the removal of our symbolic monarchy would change our democratic constitution as it currently stands. The Queen only performs ceremonial duties, there is no reason we would need to replace the house of commons or our Prime Minister. The Germans operate with a Chancellor and an elected largely symbolic President.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Yes in principle but the current situation makes it hard to say yes in practice.

I do though - the thought of a superannuated politician being head of state is too awful to contemplate. President Nigel anyone?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Keep. I can see the role gradually becoming more presidential though and certainly a lot less "god save the"

In a society where we have youtubers, love islanders, Big brother wannabes, I can't get remotely worked up about the more modern royals who primarily do excellent charity work and visit good causes for their day to day roles. To me, that's the way the role should go.

Scrap the honours list for celebs and sportspeople. Just recognise amazing charity work each year.

In my mind it would be a huge shame to lose the monarchy. We happened to be staying near Buckingham Palace on Saturday night and walked over to it on the Sunday morning. Caught the changing of the guard. It was brilliant and the levels of excitement by tourists made me wonder why you would ever want to lose that.

It needs modernisation, sure. But certainly don't scrap it.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
When the Queen eventually dies, in line with today's society, a new 10 part TV show "I'm a Royal get me on the throne"

Each week the Royals undertake contests ranging from the Generation Game, It's a Knockout, Strictly, Family Fortunes...etc, with the public voting one off each week.

The winner would be announced at a special Royal Command Performance, and after the announcement be the sole Royal left in the Royal Box.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here