Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Builders hard hats on car rear parcel shelf, late 80s/early 90’s

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Does anyone around in the late 80’s / early 90’s remember a fad of people placing different coloured builders hard hats on the rear parcel shelf or dashboard to act as a code for being open to differing nefarious activities?

Came up in a conversation the other day and I vaguely remembered it going on.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Does anyone around in the late 80’s / early 90’s remember a fad of people placing different coloured builders hard hats on the rear parcel shelf or dashboard to act as a code for being open to differing nefarious activities?

No. Never heard anything of the kind. Sounds like a very niche market

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Sounds similar to the Navy wives of Plymouth and Portsmouth..........a carton of washing powder in the kitchen window signifying the old man was away at sea apparently........

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Sounds similar to the Navy wives of Plymouth and Portsmouth..........a carton of washing powder in the kitchen window signifying the old man was away at sea apparently........

OMO washing powder, Old Man Out :smile:
I worked on a building site in Selsey back in the mid 90s, the carpenters were from Pompey and one of them told me about this.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
OMO washing powder, Old Man Out :smile:
I worked on a building site in Selsey back in the mid 90s, the carpenters were from Pompey and one of them told me about this.

This was a bit of an urban legend around Pompey. I used to visit Rowner, the big naval married patch in Gosport a fair bit and never saw it, and never heard of it really being a thing. That doesn't mean there wasn't a few of the wives on the estate going over the side ,though.

I wonder if there were brown hard hats left on the parcel shelves of cars.
The ex Matelots on here will know what I mean.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
There was of course the handkerchief code, which had a similar signalling purpose. Depends what the builders were into, I guess.

I was aware of that, was it a handkerchief hanging from the back pocket of jeans?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not sure that a baseball cap is a handkerchief in the context alluded to.

Oh, my mistake. Makes sense. I did wonder why a man called The Boss is fisted passively.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Pampas grass in your front garden.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here