Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Stuart Meaker joins Sussex

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Any views on this?

I am looking at the likes of Moshe Gariani who speaks in depth on Sussex Cricket and also Gwylan.

I mean Gwylan speaks well on Sussex not Moshe Gariani speaking well on Gwylan.

With Mitch Claydon also on the books, will this hamper the progress of younger players such as George Garton?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Sussex CCC signing.jpg

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I think this could be a great signing. Once again Sussex sign a player, who has fallen down the pecking order of his club for whatever reason, with the hopes of helping him refind his form. I know he's a bit older now, but there was a time when Meaker was FAST. I remember people getting stupidly excited about him when he first appeared on the scene. If a change of scenery, can help him recharge his batteries and get some of that potential back, he could be really decent.

Last edited:

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
In his day he was one of the quickest bowlers on the county circuit. His development was hindered by injury, as a Rey supporter it's sad to see him go but his opportunities were getting fewer. I hope he's a good signing for Sussex and he finally shows his true potential.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I assume this is a "at least he'll be here for the whole season" signing.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I asked my boss if he was any relation to Mr Meaker and he did`nt have a clue who i was talking about.

I have been calling someone at work Timothy Claypole as he has a similar surname and got a similar response from most people around me! Nice to see Stephen Dobbie the pantomime horse as well.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I'm friends with his ex. That's all I can add to this really.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Interesting signing. Obviously a high class performer at his best and there is an element of a punt about taking him on at this stage. By all accounts a very good bloke if that matters.

I wouldn't worry about the hampering progress of other players angle. Players have so much opportunity to work on their game these days (especially playing and training through the Winter) so there is no real prospect of someone who shows good potential not getting a fair chance to progress. James Kirtley is apparently doing a very good job coaching and developing a group of promising young fast bowlers at the moment - we wouldn't have signed Meaker if it was going to block opportunity for lads that are ready.

On a related note, the anniversary of the passing of Matthew Hobden was last week. Now, he was a massive talent... every possibility he would have had a great career with Sussex and England. RIP.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Remember Murray Goodwin ripping into him when he got a ton in the T20.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Interesting signing. Obviously a high class performer at his best and there is an element of a punt about taking him on at this stage. By all accounts a very good bloke if that matters.

I wouldn't worry about the hampering progress of other players angle. Players have so much opportunity to work on their game these days (especially playing and training through the Winter) so there is no real prospect of someone who shows good potential not getting a fair chance to progress. James Kirtley is apparently doing a very good job coaching and developing a group of promising young fast bowlers at the moment - we wouldn't have signed Meaker if it was going to block opportunity for lads that are ready.

On a related note, the anniversary of the passing of Matthew Hobden was last week. Now, he was a massive talent... every possibility he would have had a great career with Sussex and England. RIP.

Thanks for this. It is all good to read. From my point of view your comments 'very good bloke' are key. He should add to what we have and not make waves. He seems a worthwhile punt.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here