Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Geneva

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The alps aside, Switzerland is one of the dullest places there is. And shortly, I am going to be stuck there for one evening. I will need to eat, and drink, and probably drink some more to relieve the tedium of my stop over. Does anyone have any personal recommendations for me? As your probably know, I like beer, I am getting into wine, and am happy to eat from burgers (gourmet of course) to fine dining. As you also probably know, I’m very fair and open minded, so I’m happy to have my prejudices challenged.

PS I have tried the internet machine but nothing interesting arose; I have had a couple of very good tips from here before.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
Why start a new thread? Surely you could have used the Sun £9.50 holiday thread. BG will probably sort you out some cheap plonk that could degrease an engine and kill a horse.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Why start a new thread? Surely you could have used the Sun £9.50 holiday thread. BG will probably sort you out some cheap plonk that could degrease an engine and kill a horse.

Fair points.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Mrs Mahone's sister lives in Switzerland, in a small and uninteresting town, surrounded by absolutely stunning scenery, called Stans.

We visited her last year, spending a long weekend there. That was long enough.

We spent an evening in Lucerne, a beautiful town, but nothing happens there. Despite this, we found an excellent craft place that brewed its own beers, right next to the river. A fabulous location.

I hope this helps.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
The alps aside, Switzerland is one of the dullest places there is. And shortly, I am going to be stuck there for one evening. I will need to eat, and drink, and probably drink some more to relieve the tedium of my stop over. Does anyone have any personal recommendations for me? As your probably know, I like beer, I am getting into wine, and am happy to eat from burgers (gourmet of course) to fine dining. As you also probably know, I’m very fair and open minded, so I’m happy to have my prejudices challenged.

PS I have tried the internet machine but nothing interesting arose; I have had a couple of very good tips from here before.

Well, if you just want to drown your sorrows just go into Brasseurs opposite the station, pretty packed with locals and they brew their own beers, food is pretty good as well, or you could crawl next door to holy cow burger which is damn tasty but bloody expensive for a burger.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Geneva is indeed very, very dull........spent bloody weeks and weeks there due to various work issues over the years but not so much recently. Staple places I can recall as always being good to eat were :

-Les Armures (fondue, traditional Swiss)
-Le Relais de L’Entrecote (simple but you know what you’re going to get and a bit of a Geneva institution)
-Da Paulo (very good homely Italian fare)

.....none of which probably meet you exacting 1901 Club style requirements [emoji23][emoji23]

Sure you know anyway but Geneva is horrifically expensive. If you want anything specific let me know as I have know someone living locally who will be able to recommend something (a devout foodie whose wife was also a masterchef finalist)

I’d also go for a run beside the lake to work up an appetite [emoji16]

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Head to Geneva Old Town. I can’t recommend any particular place as haven’t been for 10 years but we found no shortage of decent places to eat.

Last edited:

Leosayer

Aug 25, 2011
Kent
Agree with you totally Switzerland is pretty but completely dead. I have to go to Geneva each month - awful place on your on own.
Cafe Jules Verne is a pleasant enough place for a beer and food if your staying near there, there are a couple of bars showing football in the old town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 7, 2003
Mrs Mahone's sister lives in Switzerland, in a small and uninteresting town, surrounded by absolutely stunning scenery, called Stans.

We visited her last year, spending a long weekend there. That was long enough.

We spent an evening in Lucerne, a beautiful town, but nothing happens there. Despite this, we found an excellent craft place that brewed its own beers, right next to the river. A fabulous location.

I hope this helps.

Go back next month when it is carnival. Luzern is transformed into a giant street party with loads of bands playing in the little squares, drinking in the streets (they love a JaegerTea) and a fantastic parade where people dress up in weird and wonderful outfits. I spent a while the other year watching a band playing modern rock classics in the style of a Russian band.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014

Don't buy any of their cheese - it's a total ripoff. I bought some and was riddled
with holes :)

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch

Where are you in Switzerland? I spent several months working in Interlaken a few years back. If it’s there I could possibly help.

Not sure I’d describe my experiences of the place as dull.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Go back next month when it is carnival. Luzern is transformed into a giant street party with loads of bands playing in the little squares, drinking in the streets (they love a JaegerTea) and a fantastic parade where people dress up in weird and wonderful outfits. I spent a while the other year watching a band playing modern rock classics in the style of a Russian band.

Well, my sister in law never told us that when she invited us over...in January.

Bloody typical.

:annoyed:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Never understood how the Swiss Army pen knife came about. They never fight! The Swiss Army fondue set I could understand but...

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Don’t mess with the Swiss Navy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Indeed, always read the instructions first

51yFR4kMqWL._SY355_.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here