Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Sussex Sunday League Football 80s to Today

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Just wondering if I ever played with or against anyone from NSC without ever knowing that our paths have already crossed before this virtual life.

I started playing Sundays and Wednesdays around the age of 19, pretty low standard I think the highest I ever got in a team was Division 8 of 13 in the Sunday league.

So I think from memory as its a long time ago I played for Brighton Hospitals, Post Office Sunday and The Dockers, on Wednesdays Royal Mail Brighton.

I would guesstimate I played from 1981 until 1997 then just the odd ringer turn out after that.

So who did you play for in days gone by?

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
AFC George premier champions about 3 years on the trot In the late 80’s, plus Sunday senior cup winners 4 years in a row.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

milliepops

Nov 8, 2011
at home
I played for Knowles for about 8 seasons until I retired in 2012.
Our home games were played at Palatine Park in Worthing.
Used to be 10+ divisions back then as well.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Played one Friendly game for the Dinkum in Polegate.

I was then signed up as was planning to visit my Dad there (travelling from Reading) every weekend. It never happened.

Must have been about 2008

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Edit: scrub that. I went completely off topic. Must be the altitude :ffsparr:

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Market Traders on a Wednesday. Won Morris cup final played at Whitehawk, won league 2 same year. Runners up in final year after which was played at the Goldstone, but won league 1. This was late 80's early 90's. Played for Golden Cannon on Sundays for 4 years.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
AFC George premier champions about 3 years on the trot In the late 80’s, plus Sunday senior cup winners 4 years in a row.

Possibly played against you for Durrington (now disbanded), around 1983/84, I was 15 then.
We had some good players from Steyning who were County League champions around then, Littlehampton and Arundel.

I think there was some sort of issue one of those years you won, as a team withdrew in the final week of the season, and instead of awarding a victory to their final opponents (as only one game remaining), all the results were expunged......

To be honest I can't remember the exact facts.....

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water

I played against AFC George several times.

I played for Gold Star/Kayel Gold Star based in Horsham Park throughout the 80s

Went through the North Divisions and into the Premier League where we played for several years.

There were some good players playing in that league then, including Mark (Lewis's Dad) Dunk who played for Melford (they played at Whitehawk's ground)

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Unused sub for Seabeach in Div 9 in one game, away at the Woolpack in Herstmonceux. Match was broken up by police following threats against the referee over a disputed goal to the home team. 1987?

MTSeagulls

Sep 18, 2019
I played for The Green Jacket pub in Shoreham from around 83 to 85, Then Patcham North End in 86. I finished in 88 for Churchill Rovers after a knee injury at Stanmer Park against Brighton Hospitals.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I played for The Green Jacket pub in Shoreham from around 83 to 85, Then Patcham North End in 86. I finished in 88 for Churchill Rovers after a knee injury at Stanmer Park against Brighton Hospitals.

I also played for the Green Jacket, but that was late 70's.

40 years later I play walking football, and have a better idea of what I'm doing.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Corals F.C. (home pitch at the dog track) 86-90
Westbourne Hove

I think I have mentioned to you before about playing Corals.
Robert Eaton was in our team and I seem to remember it was boys against men and we got well beat.
My 22 years from the early eighties of Sunday League teams were:

Brighton Co-op (London Road)
Station Hotel (Hampstead Road)
Walmer Castle (Queens Park)
Farm Tavern (Western Road)
The Grenadier (Hangleton)

I may have missed one out :rolleyes:
11 years at centre forward and 11 years centre half - 111 goals (I was more of a provider)

It was generally the same core of blokes just a different pub :drink:

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Just wondering if I ever played with or against anyone from NSC without ever knowing that our paths have already crossed before this virtual life.

I started playing Sundays and Wednesdays around the age of 19, pretty low standard I think the highest I ever got in a team was Division 8 of 13 in the Sunday league.

So I think from memory as its a long time ago I played for Brighton Hospitals, Post Office Sunday and The Dockers, on Wednesdays Royal Mail Brighton.

I would guesstimate I played from 1981 until 1997 then just the odd ringer turn out after that.

So who did you play for in days gone by?

Did you have a perm when you played for The Dockers ? never saw so many men/boys with curly hair in one team :D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here