Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2020

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I really think the Spahn Ranch scene is a pointless waste of time which builds to absolutely no climax whatsoever.

Disagree. Builds the suspense re the old bloke in much the same way as the suspense builds in the magnificent opening scene of Inglourious Basterds. Also breaks through the sloppy hippy dippy BS narrative earlydoors to reveal something much darker that tees up the finale nicely

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I'm in the didn't rate 'Once...'

I saw Parasite on Monday. I really enjoyed it. I agree that it is best viewed with little knowledge of what to expect. I don't know that I think it is so great that it deserves all the awards it is getting, but I certainly preferred it to several of the other oscar nominees.

Last night I saw Kinky Boots, it's a recording of the live show (based on the movie) from a little bit over a year ago. I've seen the show live, so knew I'd like it, it's one that builds. These sorts of things often patch together two or more performances. This one did that, but also stitched in some shots that were filmed in an empty theatre (so they can cameras on stage to record angles you wouldn't otherwise see, without ruining the live audience's view with cameramen), which for close ups were fine, but there was one song where they filmed the view out from the stage and despite the darkness, it looked like the balcony was completely empty. All the more pointed as there were times where they showed the audience applauding at the end of big numbers. There's another showing in select cinemas on Sunday.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Disagree. Builds the suspense re the old bloke in much the same way as the suspense builds in the magnificent opening scene of Inglourious Basterds. Also breaks through the sloppy hippy dippy BS narrative earlydoors to reveal something much darker that tees up the finale nicely

:thumbsup:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Just seen Richard Jewell. Clint Eastwood’s latest directorial effort feeling the story of the security guard accused of planting the a Olympic Park bomb back in Atlanta 96.

I thought this was superb. The acting of the guy who plays Jewell is quite astonishing. The usually grating, one trick pony that is Sam Rockwell is great in this. Hamm is a nasty FBI agent and does this excellently and Kathy Bates puts in a great turn.

Intriguing story, and very interesting how they tried to pin this on an innocent man until Sam Rockwell’s lawyer character step it to help him out.

I really rated this and had a tear in my eye at the end (diner scene got me).

I watched in a near empty screen. Not a lot of buzz around this but it’s very good.

7/10. I recommend highly.

Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Funny isn’t it, I really don’t rate Tarantino that highly but I loved Once... except for the movie within a movie part. I loved the story of their relationship bobbling around LA.
Pitt is superb.

Pitt is superb in everything he does. I thought his performance in Ad Astra was just sublime. It was magnificent. He surely has to be one of the greatest actors of the last couple of decades. He simply has too much going for him and looks like a greek god at 56 as well, to boot. Not that I am jealous, lol

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
So far this year

1917 - 98 out of 100 - the best film for years, imo
Little Women - 85 out of 100 - anything with ronan in is always worth a watch
The Personal History of David Copperfield - 74 out of 100 - same as above re dev patel

Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Want to see the lighthouse, defoe and pattinson are both great actors

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Just seen Richard Jewell. Clint Eastwood’s latest directorial effort feeling the story of the security guard accused of planting the a Olympic Park bomb back in Atlanta 96.

I thought this was superb. The acting of the guy who plays Jewell is quite astonishing. The usually grating, one trick pony that is Sam Rockwell is great in this. Hamm is a nasty FBI agent and does this excellently and Kathy Bates puts in a great turn.

Intriguing story, and very interesting how they tried to pin this on an innocent man until Sam Rockwell’s lawyer character step it to help him out.

I really rated this and had a tear in my eye at the end (diner scene got me).

I watched in a near empty screen. Not a lot of buzz around this but it’s very good.

7/10. I recommend highly.

Much my thoughts about it too - I went along and saw it last night, also a near empty screening, but it had everyone gripped. Not a word was spoken once it had properly begun. It's easy to understand why they thought it was Jewell. It's incredibly lucky he happened to know the lawyer because otherwise he'd easily have been convicted and then executed before anyone took a proper look at the case and realised how flimsy it was.

I have to say though, I disagree about Sam Rockwell. I'm yet to see him in anything I didn't think he was excellent in.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Much my thoughts about it too - I went along and saw it last night, also a near empty screening, but it had everyone gripped. Not a word was spoken once it had properly begun. It's easy to understand why they thought it was Jewell. It's incredibly lucky he happened to know the lawyer because otherwise he'd easily have been convicted and then executed before anyone took a proper look at the case and realised how flimsy it was.

I have to say though, I disagree about Sam Rockwell. I'm yet to see him in anything I didn't think he was excellent in.

******POSSIBLE SPOILERS*******

Rockwell is just an actor I’ve never much liked but I can’t deny his talent.

There’s a lot to recommend in this film. I get the impression Jewell was on some kind of Spectrum but luckily for him, his ignorance of boundaries leads him to getting to know the lawyer.
I did chuckle when the lawyer says to Jewell “before they come in here is there any more weird shit about you I need to know” :)

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
******POSSIBLE SPOILERS*******

Rockwell is just an actor I’ve never much liked but I can’t deny his talent.

There’s a lot to recommend in this film. I get the impression Jewell was on some kind of Spectrum but luckily for him, his ignorance of boundaries leads him to getting to know the lawyer.
I did chuckle when the lawyer says to Jewell “before they come in here is there any more weird shit about you I need to know” :)

Oh yeah, there's no question at all that he has his issues. There was a lot of comedy hidden in there really, I enjoyed the gun collection and the justification, "this is Georgia". One thing that did bother me, but not massively, weren't Snickers bars still Marathon in 1986 when he first met Watson Bryant? In the UK the change was apparently in 1990, maybe this is a small gaffe and it's rare I notice these things but it did get to me a little bit!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Oh yeah, there's no question at all that he has his issues. There was a lot of comedy hidden in there really, I enjoyed the gun collection and the justification, "this is Georgia". One thing that did bother me, but not massively, weren't Snickers bars still Marathon in 1986 when he first met Watson Bryant? In the UK the change was apparently in 1990, maybe this is a small gaffe and it's rare I notice these things but it did get to me a little bit!

I believe they have always been called Snickers in the US?

Yes, some funny stuff in there amongst all the tragedy. And touching when he kind of reveals he knows the FBI are mocking him all along but he didn’t know anything else but to respect them. Just a very good film on many levels. I hope it gets seen. The lead actor is up for a few awards and deservedly so, it’s a great performance.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Yes, Snickers bars launched in the USA in 1930.

I’ve always assumed they were renamed here as it sounded too much like knickers. Nice Snickers, etc...

But global brands started to unify their brand names around 1990. Local quirks were gone so they could advertise the same product at things like World Cup Finals.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

I’ve always assumed they were renamed here as it sounded too much like knickers. Nice Snickers, etc...

But global brands started to unify their brand names around 1990. Local quirks were gone so they could advertise the same product at things like World Cup Finals.

Cheers! Makes sense.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I believe they have always been called Snickers in the US?

Yes, some funny stuff in there amongst all the tragedy. And touching when he kind of reveals he knows the FBI are mocking him all along but he didn’t know anything else but to respect them. Just a very good film on many levels. I hope it gets seen. The lead actor is up for a few awards and deservedly so, it’s a great performance.

Cheers! Makes sense.

I stand well corrected, I shan't be reporting my suspicions to IMDb! :lolol:

I'm yet to be really blown away by a film this year so far though - good as though Jewell is, and it's up there 8/10 with The Gentlemen, Just Mercy and Jojo Rabbit - there hasn't been a massive standout for me just yet.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I stand well corrected, I shan't be reporting my suspicions to IMDb! :lolol:

I'm yet to be really blown away by a film this year so far though - good as though Jewell is, and it's up there 8/10 with The Gentlemen, Just Mercy and Jojo Rabbit - there hasn't been a massive standout for me just yet.

Yeah, Just Mercy was very good. But as you say, nothing extraordinary just yet. Still, early days. Queen & Slim is next up for me, tomorrow. Would like to see The Lighthouse and Parasite too.
I like this time of year though, lots of decent films made for adults that don’t feature superheroes or tonnes of franchise stuff.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Yeah, Just Mercy was very good. But as you say, nothing extraordinary just yet. Still, early days. Queen & Slim is next up for me, tomorrow. Would like to see The Lighthouse and Parasite too.
I like this time of year though, lots of decent films made for adults that don’t feature superheroes or tonnes of franchise stuff.

That post could basically have been written by me! Those are the next on my list too, The Lighthouse isn't available at Odeon Brighton though so I'd need to branch out or drive to Tunbridge Wells. Parasite should be good, and I am quite excited for Birds of Prey - much as I love a proper film, a good movie isn't a bad thing either. Dress up Mary Elizabeth Winstead and I'll show up, whatever it is. Put Margot Robbie in there as well and I'm sold.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
That post could basically have been written by me! Those are the next on my list too, The Lighthouse isn't available at Odeon Brighton though so I'd need to branch out or drive to Tunbridge Wells. Parasite should be good, and I am quite excited for Birds of Prey - much as I love a proper film, a good movie isn't a bad thing either. Dress up Mary Elizabeth Winstead and I'll show up, whatever it is. Put Margot Robbie in there as well and I'm sold.

Ha! Very similar. I have a limitless odeon card so I pretty much stick to that, hence having trouble seeing The Lighthouse.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Although I have just seen that Bait is screening tonight. I’m curious so I may well pop along.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Ha! Very similar. I have a limitless odeon card so I pretty much stick to that, hence having trouble seeing The Lighthouse.

Although I have just seen that Bait is screening tonight. I’m curious so I may well pop along.

Assuming you go to the Brighton Odeon, there's a good chance we've been at multiple screenings at the same time. I try and get the full value from my Limitless Card, 106 films last year and only one which wasn't at Odeon (Brighton, Tunbridge Wells, Bournemouth). The exception was Endgame, which I saw in Albuquerque!

I'm annoyed they're only showing Bait once, and it clashes with the darts league! Do they not think about these things?! It doesn't look brilliant, but it all goes toward justifying the cost of Limitless.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Assuming you go to the Brighton Odeon, there's a good chance we've been at multiple screenings at the same time. I try and get the full value from my Limitless Card, 106 films last year and only one which wasn't at Odeon (Brighton, Tunbridge Wells, Bournemouth). The exception was Endgame, which I saw in Albuquerque!

I'm annoyed they're only showing Bait once, and it clashes with the darts league! Do they not think about these things?! It doesn't look brilliant, but it all goes toward justifying the cost of Limitless.

I’m sure we have. I work shifts so enjoy going to midweek daytime screenings. The limitless card pays for itself most months. It enables one to see films you are not sure about so end up seeing some gems I would otherwise miss out on.
In the whole I am glad I got the membership. Definitely worth itself over the year, I reckon I save a fortune. Even if you only see two films a month it’s worth it. Though I go easily twice a week.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here