Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2020

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Accompanied the wife to the Duke of York’s to see Little Women - well she had come with me to see 1917! Must admit was not looking forward to it and had not read the book which happens to be the wife’s favourite.
Took me a little while to adjust to the story, as there is a lot of timeline jumping, but by the end I realised what a strong, engaging and still in today’s age a relevant story. Great acting and editing, well worth watching.

Wife probably enjoyed 1917 more than I did, good film but strangely un-engaging for me.

Booked to see Parasite in a few weeks. Want to see The Lighthouse if I get some free time over the next week.

I'm getting a bit depressed by the upcoming film fare being offered up. Yesterday the trailers before Copperfield ( re-make ish) were Emma ( yet another re-make ) Doolittle ( re-make) The Call of The Wild ( re-make ). I think The Lighthouse is the only thing on the near horizon, Mrs V still wants to catch Little Women ( re-make) before its run ends. Movie making is becoming very predictable sadly.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I'm getting a bit depressed by the upcoming film fare being offered up. Yesterday the trailers before Copperfield ( re-make ish) were Emma ( yet another re-make ) Doolittle ( re-make) The Call of The Wild ( re-make ). I think The Lighthouse is the only thing on the near horizon, Mrs V still wants to catch Little Women ( re-make) before its run ends. Movie making is becoming very predictable sadly.

There some good stuff out there, just bouts look further afield. At least we have been given a break from superhero films for a while!

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I found the Lighthouse visually arresting, but might wait for it to be on the telly, with subtitles on so i can fully grasp the archaic and characterful waffle.
I'm looking forward to Parasite. Kept missing previews of it, and i don't think i will pay £15 for one this week considering it is out on Friday.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I found the Lighthouse visually arresting, but might wait for it to be on the telly, with subtitles on so i can fully grasp the archaic and characterful waffle.
I'm looking forward to Parasite. Kept missing previews of it, and i don't think i will pay £15 for one this week considering it is out on Friday.

The Lighthouse isn’t on at my regular cinema so I’m gonna wait for a stream. I’m off to see The Rythm Section shortly. I’m in the mood for some whizz bangery.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

I saw the lighthouse as part of the cinecity brighton film festival late last year. It was weird. But I think I liked it. Parasite was showing as part of the festival but at a time I was unable to make it. I have booked for the Q&A version on monday, because I didn't know when it was out. The cineworld made it one of their unlimited screenings. I thought about cancelling my booking, but would have struggled to make the cineworld showing, too.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Saw The Lighthouse at the DOY's yesterday after finally becoming a member.

Weird, but I liked it a lot. There's an excellent review in the Picture House magazine thing .... I'm not articulate enough!

I always imagined living in a lighthouse to be quiet and peaceful .... silly me

Eraserhead and Papillon in a Nutribullet

I highly recommend seeing it, but possibly not a Valentine's Date Night film

SEAGULLS!!!!!!!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The Rythm Section.

Blake Lively and Jude Law in a sub- Bourne assassin thriller.

I wanted to like this. It has tropes I enjoy; kick ass female lead, training scenes in the Scottish Highlands, assassin scenes, car chases and a bigger, underlying story. But....It’s preposterous. I couldn’t suspend my disbelief for any of it. Her back story, her transformation into an assassin or the world she enters as a newbie.
And it’s all a bit dull really. There are some exciting moments but are so few and far between, I just got bored.
They clearly set up for a franchise, the ending may as well have just been the words “give us a series, you shit”
But I have a feeling this is going to disappear without a trace.

Also viewed in screen 8 at the Odeon so accompanied by the sounds of traffic and people ordering coffee in Costa. And some bloke just randomly wandering in and watching 5 mins of it with the door held open. He decided it wasn’t for him.
And it wasn’t for me either.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

The upcoming True History of the Kelly Gang looks highly promising, judging by the trailer. Far more leftfield than might be expected given the subject matter

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
The upcoming True History of the Kelly Gang looks highly promising, judging by the trailer. Far more leftfield than might be expected given the subject matter

It’s based on a great novel (inspired by reality, of course) by Peter Carey. Unfortunately, it’s from the director of the recent Macbeth, which I thought was quite poor, and the trailer is full of annoying shaky-cam: a fad from a decade ago which I thought (and hoped) had completely died away.

Still tempted by the subject matter, but the trailer dented most of my enthusiasm.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
It’s based on a great novel (inspired by reality, of course) by Peter Carey. Unfortunately, it’s from the director of the recent Macbeth, which I thought was quite poor, and the trailer is full of annoying shaky-cam: a fad from a decade ago which I thought (and hoped) had completely died away.

Still tempted by the subject matter, but the trailer dented most of my enthusiasm.

Agree, Peter Carey's book is a great read so I'm really looking forward to this film. I liked the trailer.
I haven't seen their other film (yet), but The Scottish Play is my favourite Shakespeare so maybe I should

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Just Mercy. Decent enough. Worth the trip to the cinema 7/10
Once upon a time in hollywood. Bored me shitless. 3/10.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Once upon a time in hollywood. Bored me shitless. 3/10.

I'm a massive Tarantino fan, but I'm siding with you on this. It was one of his that I don't think I really "got" from the beginning. There's some good performances (Pitt was superb as usual), and a couple of stand-out scenes, primarily the one with Bruce Lee and the ending. But there's no discernible plot, the whole thing just kind of meanders along aimlessly to its conclusion, and left me with a feeling that I was missing something. Maybe I need to revisit it some time, but it won't be for a while.

41%.

[edit]

Tarantino's curious / tedious obsession with womens feet makes its usual appearance as well I noticed. What is it with that bloke.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I absolutely loved One Upon a Time in Hollywood - with the exception of the needless scene on George's farm and the old fella is cooped up in bed. There really isn't any need for that at all and you could easily cut it and nobody would care or even notice. I found it a refreshing change on the usual, "everyone is going to die at the end" climax to a Tarantino film. Leonardo Di Caprio is such a genius actor he could carry a film on his own, Brad Pitt is brilliantly cast as his stunt double.

I think Margot Robbie is only in it for her feet and to tease the Sharon Tate finale, which the film doesn't really need - I think it could easily have been a story about Di Caprio and Brad Pitt's characters - their careers and their private lives. Twisting the Tate ending was clever and gets the usual Tarantino insane violence in, I thought it all wrapped up quite nicely all things considered.

UNLIKE A Beautiful Day in the Neighbourhood which I thought was a massive swing and a miss, it doesn't do anything particularly well in my opinion. Not being American, I didn't grow up watching Mr Rogers but I think even if you had and knew all his characters, you wouldn't really enjoy the film because he features but it's not really about him or his career or anything like that. It's a fairly muddled awards-bait film which had very little merit in my opinion. Good as Tom Hanks is, this wasn't a film which needed making.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
I'm a massive Tarantino fan, but I'm siding with you on this. It was one of his that I don't think I really "got" from the beginning. There's some good performances (Pitt was superb as usual), and a couple of stand-out scenes, primarily the one with Bruce Lee and the ending. But there's no discernible plot, the whole thing just kind of meanders along aimlessly to its conclusion, and left me with a feeling that I was missing something. Maybe I need to revisit it some time, but it won't be for a while.

41%.

[edit]

Tarantino's curious / tedious obsession with womens feet makes its usual appearance as well I noticed. What is it with that bloke.

I too like many of tarantino's film. I don't think you missed anything, it just seemed pointless.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Funny isn’t it, I really don’t rate Tarantino that highly but I loved Once... except for the movie within a movie part. I loved the story of their relationship bobbling around LA.
Pitt is superb.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
I thought Once Upon a Time in Hollywood was a masterpiece.

It does assume that you have prior knowledge of the Manson Family and what happened in Cielo Drive that terrible night, though. Without this knowledge, it might well be confusing at times.

I think the old man on the Spahn Ranch scene was there to show that something odd was happening there. It also showed that Pitt wasn't intimidated by it and could hold his own against these young punks.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I thought Once Upon a Time in Hollywood was a masterpiece.

It does assume that you have prior knowledge of the Manson Family and what happened in Cielo Drive that terrible night, though. Without this knowledge, it might well be confusing at times.

I think the old man on the Spahn Ranch scene was there to show that something odd was happening there. It also showed that Pitt wasn't intimidated by it and could hold his own against these young punks.

I really think the Spahn Ranch scene is a pointless waste of time which builds to absolutely no climax whatsoever. It felt like something was missing or consequentially was missing, maybe there was meant to be a payoff but it was cut. Tarantino has said that there's a 4 hour version of the film which is the full work and personally, I'd love to see it in that sort of length!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

41%.

[edit]

I have to agree with this. I thought the last 15 minutes was brilliantly entertaining and classic Tarantino. The rest of it though, I just didn't really get it. :shrug: I kept waiting for something interesting to happen but it didn't come until right at the end.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
I'm another who didn't think much about Once... Thought it was just me, when it came out, that was heavily underwhelmed. (Has anyone ever said that they are whelmed about something? Just struck me as I typed that).

Just caught up with Hidden Figures from 2016, which I missed at the time. Thought it superb.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here