Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Thread: Film 2020

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MattBackHome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why not 100/100 US? Genuine question.
    No film has ever got and will never get 100 as that would mean the end of the search for the ultimate film. I have 5 on 98 plus. Probably see abour 2000. I think my worst scores were 27 for Detroit and 28 for Hereditary
    Spielberg is GOD.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      A small taster of this amazing film. Trying to get the message through. I regard it very highly
      Last edited by Uncle Spielberg; 13-01-2020 at 21:13.
      Spielberg is GOD.

4 Not allowed!
      Just back from 1917. Harrowing, captivating and hugely immersive. Right from the opening scene, the way the film plays out almost as one long panning shot is something I've never seen before. Basically think the nightclub / kitchen scene in Goodfellas, but played out over the entire 2 hours. No editing, no cutting from one scene to the next, or even one person to the next. Aside from a couple of pauses in complete darkness, the camera never leaves the heroes of the story, you're constantly behind them, sweeping round them or seeing them running towards you - you're just along for the ride. Its unique, and a quite astonishing achievement.

The landscapes are hellish, the close-combat viscerally brutal, the sounds of gunfire, sniper fire and explosions utterly jarring - this is definitely one of those films you need to see in a theatre. Its relentless and exhausting, and its worth mentioning the score too, which for long spells isn't even music as such, just an ominous background hum that ratchets up the tension and sense of fear and dread.

This movie will clearly be dripping with Oscars, its probably the most dynamic war film I've seen since Saving Private Ryan.

94%.
      "But you accept that there is an increased risk of vehicle/bat collision"

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Easy 10 View Post
      Just back from 1917. Harrowing, captivating and hugely immersive. Right from the opening scene, the way the film plays out almost as one long panning shot is something I've never seen before. Basically think the nightclub / kitchen scene in Goodfellas, but played out over the entire 2 hours. No editing, no cutting from one scene to the next, or even one person to the next. Aside from a couple of pauses in complete darkness, the camera never leaves the heroes of the story, you're constantly behind them, sweeping round them or seeing them running towards you - you're just along for the ride. Its unique, and a quite astonishing achievement.

The landscapes are hellish, the close-combat viscerally brutal, the sounds of gunfire, sniper fire and explosions utterly jarring - this is definitely one of those films you need to see in a theatre. Its relentless and exhausting, and its worth mentioning the score too, which for long spells isn't even music as such, just an ominous background hum that ratchets up the tension and sense of fear and dread.

This movie will clearly be dripping with Oscars, its probably the most dynamic war film I've seen since Saving Private Ryan.

94%.
      Absolutely spot on Easy. I am truly baffled by some people saying they were " disappointed " but human beings baffle me daily. Opinions, opinions
      Spielberg is GOD.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Spielberg View Post
      Absolutely spot on Easy. I am truly baffled by some people saying they were " disappointed " but human beings baffle me daily. Opinions, opinions
      People just have different expectations I suppose, almost nothing is ever universally received. It did lag for me a little when he hides out with the french woman, but other than that, I thought it was terrific. I might actually buy the blueray when it comes out, I'll be very interested to see the "making of" in the extras to see the production.

One thing that bothered me though - the bit everyone's seen in the trailer where he's running towards camera, colliding with soldiers, shells going off all over the place behind him as the 1st battalion go over the top....

...why didn't he just run along the OTHER side of the trench ?
      Take me Home Falmer Road Dick Knights Mumm's Avatar

0 Not allowed!

...why didn't he just run along the OTHER side of the trench ?
      lateral trenches ?
      Take me Home Falmer Road Dick Knights Mumm's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      £5.20 at Worthing Dome off peak (£6.70 on peak). £3.50 on Mondays.

Ooh...I might pop along there tonight then.
      We went to the Connaught. Excellent value. Once we went to the Dome and a bus spent 10 mins revving its engine next door. Worthing is great for the cinema. Cheaper, easy to park.

0 Not allowed!
      I've seen 7 films in the cinema this year (Cats; Frozen 2; Jojo Rabbit; The Gentleman; Just Mercy; Seberg; 1917) and for me, Jojo Rabbit, The Gentlemen and Just Mercy are all level at 8/10 for me. Just Mercy was Screen Unseen last week at Odeon, where you don't know the film you're going to see. I thought it had brilliant performances across the cast but it was just missing something in the writing. Jojo Rabbit is a brilliant concept which was well done, but missing an X Factor. It felt like it was trying to toe the line a little bit too much. Seberg didn't really do anything at all - I am always captivated by Kristen Stewart, but the film itself was fairly tame.

Bombshell, Bad Boys for Life and Waves all hitting the cinema on friday - I wish every month had the depth of releases as January does every year.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Dick Knights Mumm View Post
      lateral trenches ?
      He could probably HURDLE them

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by The Clamp View Post
      Just seen The Gentlemen at Brighton Odeon. Limitless card holder so thought Iíd give it a spin even though I wasnít expecting much. The promise of a good comic turn from Colin Farrell urged me along.

Itís story is rather similar to that of Layer Cake but not quite as sophisticated.

It has the slapstick bumbling mobsters favoured by Guy Ritchie. A good cast, Farrell is outstanding. Itís something of a throwback to the late 90ís early 00ís and no bad thing for it.
      It could do without the casual, dated racism, though.

Itís throwaway stuff. Past itís heyday? Certainly. Contrived and full of exposition? Without a doubt. But I rather enjoyed been ďtaken backĒ to the 90ís. I think a lot of you would too.

Itís a jolly good romp.

7/10
      I hope you got permission to start this thread.

Anyway, when I saw the trailer and the cast I thought 'I'm seeing that.' Then I saw the director identity and I thought 'fukk that, I ain't going to see a clichť laden live action cartoon with swearing'.