Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2020

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Not a great year for Cinema (or a lot of things, really, but as this thread 'Film 2020' forgive me for focusing on film). It is the year with my fewest cinema visits since my secondary school days. Lockdown and closed cinemas has led to me to find film solace in my own collection (the digital version of which has grown significantly this year thanks in no small part to the ever updating 'under £4' and weekly 'essential' on appleTV), and numerous streaming services.

Over the course of the year I have managed to watch over 400 films in their entirety (and 7 films that I started to watch and didn't finish because I they weren't grabbing me). This has included:
-All 24 official James Bond films
-All 58 disney animations studios 'classics'
-All 23 pixar films
-About a dozen best picture oscar winners that I hadn't seen (meaning I have now seen all 92 winners of the Best Picture Oscar)
-All 11 Star Wars cinematic movies (i.e. 9 skywalker films + Rogue One and Solo)
-All 6 Middle Earth movies (extended editions)
-Numerous recorded stage productions
-12 titles were watched more than once (391 unique, complete titles)

I've had a nice spread of movies; action, comedy, musical, drama, sci-fi, western, old films, new films, big films, small films, English, Australian, American, Japanese, Spanish, French, Korean, Indie, Studio, various animation styles, live action.

Of the cinema titles, I'd probably have to go with Tenet as the best, but it's a small sample size.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
I used the lockdown to build a home cinema - took over a converted garage attached to the house that had ended up as a dump for stuff around the house.

Painted the walls and ceiling, new dark red curtains and black-out blinds, ran an ethernet cable through the wall from the broadband box, built a platform for the rear chairs and then bought a lovely two seat recliner with a console between the seats. Have a sofa bed in front if we need it for visitors. Topped it off with a new 75inch Samsung 4K that I got at a really good price in a sale. I also have an old laptop for sports if I want to use it.

It is now a fantastic place to chill out and relax and a great way to spend a couple of hours in the evening.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I used the lockdown to build a home cinema - took over a converted garage attached to the house that had ended up as a dump for stuff around the house.

Painted the walls and ceiling, new dark red curtains and black-out blinds, ran an ethernet cable through the wall from the broadband box, built a platform for the rear chairs and then bought a lovely two seat recliner with a console between the seats. Have a sofa bed in front if we need it for visitors. Topped it off with a new 75inch Samsung 4K that I got at a really good price in a sale. I also have an old laptop for sports if I want to use it.

It is now a fantastic place to chill out and relax and a great way to spend a couple of hours in the evening.

A little jealous of that. :bowdown:

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
The Irishman - Never really been a fan of gangster or mob movies, I only really watched it because I like to see as many of the Oscar nominees as possible and it was all but guaranteed it would get nominated (I watched it on sunday before the nominees were announced). Eh. Didn't really do anything for me.
Saw this the other day, and wanted to give it 7/10 - struck me as a Scorcese vanity project, with hideous miscasting (an Irish Al Pacino? how many cast members of Boardwalk Empire?), terrible "de-aging" CGI ("oh the inhumanity", and you simply cannot de-age a 70 year old's gait) but quite the intriguing story. Hope it's not his last as it'd be a terrible bookend.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here