Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2020

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Just Mercy with Jamie Foxx and Michael B Jordan.
True story of the volunteer legal team founded in the 80’s who still fight for justice for impoverished people in the Southern US who are on death row. So penniless black people, essentially.

Yes, it’s cliched at times but a hell of a story. What an amazing group of people.
The real footage of the victims of racism and injustice being released from death row, some as much as thirty years after being sentenced had me in bits. Not a dry eye in the house from what I could tell. Very moving.

I don’t feel like scoring it because the cliches let it down but it’s an important, moving story that I think people should watch.

For those in favour of the death sentence it has some eye opening facts. For instance for every 9 people executed in the States, 1 person is found innocent and set free. That is a shocking error factor in anyones books .

Or that the main character in this film was actually sent to death row A YEAR BEFORE his trial. So he could “get used to it”. I mean, ****ing hell!

Last edited:

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I thought 1917 was decent but not as good as Dunkirk. The one shot gimmick was pretty pointless, dreadful CGI at the trenches in the begining and the run at the end and some very unbelievable moments destracted from what could have been an excellent film. The Andrew Scott cameo felt as anachronistic as Oddball in Kelly's Heroes

colonies man

Jul 30, 2011
Just Mercy with Jamie Foxx and Michael B Jordan.
True story of the volunteer legal team founded in the 80’s who still fight for justice for impoverished people in the Southern US who are on death row. So penniless black people, essentially.

Yes, it’s cliched at times but a hell of a story. What an amazing group of people.
The real footage of the victims of racism and injustice being released from death row, some as much as thirty years after being sentenced had me in bits. Not a dry eye in the house from what I could tell. Very moving.

I don’t feel like scoring it because the cliches let it down but it’s an important, moving story that I think people should watch.

For those in favour of the death sentence it has some eye opening facts. For instance for every 9 people executed in the States, 1 person is found innocent and set free. That is a shocking error factor in anyones books .

Or that the main character in this film was actually sent to death row A YEAR BEFORE his trial. So he could “get used to it”. I mean, ****ing hell!

Not quite as true as you might think.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
Seeing 1917 on IMAX on Monday - looking forward to it, particularly with the NSCCC (Critics Corner) giving it high praise indeed.

Been on a bit of a film bash this week, a mix of old and new. Finally saw Taxi Driver (yeah, I know!) and was struck by how cheesy the music was in it! Good film though, but not sure how well it would play to a young audience these days.

Of more contemporary fare, I saw JoJo (great!) and a second watching of Knives Out (my wife wanted to see it this time) which was fun once you know the various twists and stuff. Yesterday, saw Bombshell and was a really interesting, if quite sobering, look at the Fox News sexual harassment case. Charlize Theron looked virtually like an identical twin to Megyn Kelly, more so than Nicole Kidman's Gretchen Carlson. I must admit to not knowing too much about the case, but Theron, Kidman and Margot Robbie each put in great performances.

Wow! You thought Bernard Herrmann's score for Taxi Driver was cheesy?!! Ignoring the fact it was nominated for an Oscar and won the BAFTA, I have to say it is regarded (along with numerous other works by him) as in the list of all time greatest film scores.

Each to his own....

Last edited:

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
saw 1917 after our game on Saturday at Duke of Yorks. Well made and enjoyable BUT really didn't live up to the hype for me. Whole story line was weak and I thought many scenes were just not realistic enough for me.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
A Hidden Life;

Terry M’s new picture.
Unless you’re into lingering shots of fields of grass or you enjoy campanology, this is boring as feck. Very, very long, ponderous and grim. Three hours. Avoid.

0.5/10

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
Richard Jewell

Clint's decent enough account of a well known tale from 1996 and beyond.

Characters didn't truly grab me and encourage empathy or disgust, but a decent enough 'documentary'.

Worth it if you've forgotten the story, or fancy a rant about US Police/FBI procedures.

16 / 23.5

Just seen this and was very impressed...

Clint really is a fine director, and the lead was very impressive.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The Man Who Killed Don Quixote
I think it was good. It was a bit 'is this bit real, or not?' so I might be mistaken.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I finally managed to get to the cinema to watch 1917. I liked it. It was very impressive on a technical level. These long take movies always seem more of a technical achievement to me than an acting one. I like George Mackay, so was probably predisposed to sympathise with his character. I thought Andrew Scott was the least Andrew Scott he's ever been, which is good inasmuch as you're not thinking 'hey, it's Moriarty!'. I don't think I'm likely to watch it again, but can see why it's getting a lot of award recognition.

I then watched The Personal Life of David Copperfield. The trailer had quite excited me for this, suggesting it was a slapstick, joke-a-minute farce. It ended up being a regular Dickens story, there was some flashy segues/cutting between scenes, and some modern so there was a mild disappointment there, but there were some laughs, and a good level of talent seemingly enjoying themselves, so I enjoyed it enough, despite it not living up to the promise of the trailer.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
A bad day for the cut. On Netflix. 7/10. definitely worth the watch.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The Grudge.

This is not a good film.

1/10

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I thought "The person history of David Copperfield" was a complete load of absolute crap from start to finish. The trailer made it look like humourless but the actual film is even less funny than the trailer is. I love The Death of Stalin, it's a genius film packed with hilarity and pathos - this is a complete load of absolute tosh. The cast is extraordinary, but the content is awful. For me, it's the first real stinker of the year and I'm including the film [MENTION=33848]The Clamp[/MENTION] dished out a pretty reasonable 0.5/10 for (A Hidden Life) in that. I thought that story at least had merit, Copperfield was defenceless in my humble opinion.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
As an aside, a heads up if anyone is interested, there is an interview with Sam Mendes on BBC4, 9pm this Thursday. I expect they'll discuss his directing career in general, but his 1917 project is bound to feature.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I made a partial ass of myself when going to see Waves on Saturday eve. Yes, you guessed it, i'd bought a ticket for the Sunday screening, so when sat there, with a young couple looking to take my seat and the one next to it, i smugly made out it was clearly mine, unearthing my mobile to dig out the ticket. I noticed the wrong day, hung my head briefly in shame, and skedaddled. Perhaps the punishment for this mishappery was going the next day, as was booked, and others in the screening being incredibly annoying - a mature female couple in the front row seemed to think they were filming an episode of Gogglebox, as was their constant commentary, and then exaggerated burst into tears. Anywho, it was quite a drama, dizzying and varyingly intense, as the camera floating and spun at a differing pace, fittingly, as a teenager's life of this family was frantic and hasty whilst life in the family home was more staid and orthodox and the imagery more reserved.

The story is of an upper middle class black family in Florida, and mostly the son, who has messages drilled into him of success and survival. What unfolds is a building of pressure from various avenues, and watching this pressure, and exhaustion, take effect. The acting was excellent, and even in some scenes which felt over-scripted, it was rife with emotion and movement. The music in the film had such a striking effect too, with it not nudging you along but sometimes shouting of inner thoughts and tensions - i heard a rap version of Elliott Smith at one point.
Anyway, i thought it a rather good film, and i'll keep an eye out for the director's next.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Saw The Personal History of David Copperfield this arvo with Mrs V. as [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] says above, disappointing. I thought it was too crash bang wallop and so many of the characters were caricatures rather than characters. fatally, I lost sympathy or understanding for the characters quite early on and it then became a case of thinking " How much longer did the film have to run ? " . There were some good moments and some good scenes but most of the film was tedious. If it is as brilliant as they say it is, it certainly passed me by.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Accompanied the wife to the Duke of York’s to see Little Women - well she had come with me to see 1917! Must admit was not looking forward to it and had not read the book which happens to be the wife’s favourite.
Took me a little while to adjust to the story, as there is a lot of timeline jumping, but by the end I realised what a strong, engaging and still in today’s age a relevant story. Great acting and editing, well worth watching.

Wife probably enjoyed 1917 more than I did, good film but strangely un-engaging for me.

Booked to see Parasite in a few weeks. Want to see The Lighthouse if I get some free time over the next week.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Saw 1917 at the imax last night. Well worth the watch but not quite as good as i'd been led to believe it was. 7/10

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here