Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2020

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Just seen The Gentlemen at Brighton Odeon. Limitless card holder so thought I’d give it a spin even though I wasn’t expecting much. The promise of a good comic turn from Colin Farrell urged me along.

It’s story is rather similar to that of Layer Cake but not quite as sophisticated.

It has the slapstick bumbling mobsters favoured by Guy Ritchie. A good cast, Farrell is outstanding. It’s something of a throwback to the late 90’s early 00’s and no bad thing for it.
It could do without the casual, dated racism, though.

It’s throwaway stuff. Past it’s heyday? Certainly. Contrived and full of exposition? Without a doubt. But I rather enjoyed been “taken back” to the 90’s. I think a lot of you would too.

It’s a jolly good romp.

7/10

Last edited:

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
I saw Jojo Rabbit at the Worthing Dome yesterday.

I thought the first fifteen minutes or so were merely fine, but then it really hit its stride and was excellent from then on. Casting was spot-on. If I had to choose a star it’d be Sam Rockwell, but everyone was terrific and Stephen Merchant got the biggest laughs. Rebel Wilson did very well with a limited screen-time too.

Visually it looked amazing with the era beautifully recreated.

A good, solid 8/10 from me.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton

I thought the first fifteen minutes or so were merely fine, but then it really hit its stride and was excellent from then on. Casting was spot-on. If I had to choose a star it’d be Sam Rockwell, but everyone was terrific and Stephen Merchant got the biggest laughs. Rebel Wilson did very well with a limited screen-time too.

Agree with this. Appears to be a very divisive film and not for everyone but I thought it was great. Funny, tragic, thought provoking and very different.

jabba

Jul 15, 2009
York
I'm curious how 1917 won a Golden Globe when hardly anyone has had a chance to see it?

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
The voters saw it. It got a limited release last month so it would qualify for all the big awards.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Saw 1917 earlier this afternoon.

A film that lives up to the glowing reviews from the critics, and a film that doesn't sugar coat WW1.

The tracking of the messengers giving the illusion of real time is well done. Stand by to be spooked by the shelling, as there is no warning as you don't see the guns being fired, just the boom and bang when it lands.

An emotional final scene also.

I wouldn't be surprised if this remains my favourite film of the year.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington

A film that lives up to the glowing reviews from the critics, and a film that doesn't sugar coat WW1.

The tracking of the messengers giving the illusion of real time is well done. Stand by to be spooked by the shelling, as there is no warning as you don't see the guns being fired, just the boom and bang when it lands.

Seeing at Horsham Everyman tomorrow, hope the dialogue is better than most 'period' films I have seen recently and no-one is reaching out to be inclusive in the Trench..

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

I was surprised this beat Joker in the Golden Globes, also a tad surprised that it was released first in the US. Sounds like an amazing piece of direction from Mendes so I will deffo be catching this one.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
...also a tad surprised that it was released first in the US. Sounds like an amazing piece of direction from Mendes so I will deffo be catching this one.

The general releases in the US and UK open on the same date, although it had a limited release (fewer than ten screens I believe) in America so it would qualify for Golden Globes, Oscars etc...

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Went to see 1917 last night at the Odeon 7pm. It was really busy and everyone was totally gripped, not a phone light to be seen. Absolutely fantastic. My wife and teenager both had tears. It was great and everyone was really positive about it as they left the cinema. Mendes really gets the feel of it right and it isn't too gloomy for a WW1 movie.

Cracking stuff and highly recommend.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Just seen The Gentlemen at Brighton Odeon. Limitless card holder so thought I’d give it a spin even though I wasn’t expecting much. The promise of a good comic turn from Colin Farrell urged me along.

It’s story is rather similar to that of Layer Cake but not quite as sophisticated.

It has the slapstick bumbling mobsters favoured by Guy Ritchie. A good cast, Farrell is outstanding. It’s something of a throwback to the late 90’s early 00’s and no bad thing for it.

It’s throwaway stuff. Past it’s heyday? Certainly. Contrived and full of exposition? Without a doubt. But I rather enjoyed been “taken back” to the 90’s. I think a lot of you would too.

It’s a jolly good romp.

7/10
Was my first cinema outing of the year (second film of the year) and agree with the above. I thought Hugh Grant was worth the price of admission on his own, and thought his interaction with Raymond was a real joy - wasn't sure from the trailer what an extended experience of that accent would be like, but thoroughly enjoyed it!

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS

Saw this yesterday at the newly refurbished screen 8 at Cineworld Brighton, and really have to agree with this review too. Just watched the trailer again and it reminded me just how fun and enjoyable it was.

A separate note about screen 8's refurb - MAJOR change/improvement, with raked seating (the top of the heads of the people in front of me, were below my knees!) unlike the old, almost flat seating there. My wife hated how it was and would rarely go there, preferring Crawley despite us living in Patcham and therefore the Marina quicker to get to/from. The seats are leather, and recline a short way. You enter down a corridor now from the double doors, and emerge at the foot of the screen, unlike the pre-refurb where you went through the doors and arrived at the back of the seating. Less seats now I think, but roomier which is nice.

I was gobsmacked though at the picture quality. I've never seen such a clear picture at the cinema.

They're doing a great job down there (they're doing all eight screens, some of which are closed for this work) as well as the rest of the public areas (hopefully the toilets are included as they've been manky for YEARS). I'm presuming the delay to Burgess Hill's Cineworld is one reason why they've gone for a long-overdue refurb of Brighton. I've been wondering for a while if they were trying to run it down so they could close it, but clearly that's not on the cards now. Hopefully once all done, they will increase the number of screenings too, with some earlier in the day. With the cinema built into the car park, there are restrictions as to how much they can do to change/improve things, but hats off for the current work and hope every screen ends in the same fashion.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Seeing at Horsham Everyman tomorrow, hope the dialogue is better than most 'period' films I have seen recently and no-one is reaching out to be inclusive in the Trench..

Just got back, magnificent film visually and the dialogue howlers are fairly minimal (Officers and Other Ranks didn't trade f-words with each other, same ranks certainly would have done but these were only just Post Edwardian times).

One or two other dramatic plot devices which I feel were highly unlikely to have really happened but I am not going to expand upon them for those that haven't seen the film.

Final thought is that if the Actor playing the Central Character doesn't walk an Oscar there is no justice.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Saw this yesterday at the newly refurbished screen 8 at Cineworld Brighton, and really have to agree with this review too. Just watched the trailer again and it reminded me just how fun and enjoyable it was.

A separate note about screen 8's refurb - MAJOR change/improvement, with raked seating (the top of the heads of the people in front of me, were below my knees!) unlike the old, almost flat seating there. My wife hated how it was and would rarely go there, preferring Crawley despite us living in Patcham and therefore the Marina quicker to get to/from. The seats are leather, and recline a short way. You enter down a corridor now from the double doors, and emerge at the foot of the screen, unlike the pre-refurb where you went through the doors and arrived at the back of the seating. Less seats now I think, but roomier which is nice.

I was gobsmacked though at the picture quality. I've never seen such a clear picture at the cinema.

They're doing a great job down there (they're doing all eight screens, some of which are closed for this work) as well as the rest of the public areas (hopefully the toilets are included as they've been manky for YEARS). I'm presuming the delay to Burgess Hill's Cineworld is one reason why they've gone for a long-overdue refurb of Brighton. I've been wondering for a while if they were trying to run it down so they could close it, but clearly that's not on the cards now. Hopefully once all done, they will increase the number of screenings too, with some earlier in the day. With the cinema built into the car park, there are restrictions as to how much they can do to change/improve things, but hats off for the current work and hope every screen ends in the same fashion.

For the amount of money you pay for a seat in Cineworld its about time they had a decent refurb. I rarely go now when I can go to either of the two Worthing cinemas and have a much cheaper and less crammed evening.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
For the amount of money you pay for a seat in Cineworld its about time they had a decent refurb. I rarely go now when I can go to either of the two Worthing cinemas and have a much cheaper and less crammed evening.
It's very, very long overdue but pleased that it is a decent job they are doing. I've had an Unlimited card from its introduction when the cinemas went under the Virgin name, then the French UGC chain took over from Virgin, and UGC eventually was bought by Cineworld. So going to Cineworld is habit for me but for a long time I've preferred Crawley for the facilities and the much bigger range of screening times.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

It’s a jolly good romp.

7/10

seen it , liked it , the dated racism was meant to underline the unity of the toddlers or that how i took it....didn't see it as racism , dated , casual or otherwise.

loved the wardrobe for the toddlers.....standard Guy Ritchie affair , Hugh Grant was a revelation expanding on the sordid side of Scandal...7.5 from me.

Busy **** made i giggle i must admit and the weed plants were just not convincing.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here