Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Going to Brighton in April or May and need some advice..

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
As it looks like my economy possibly wont be entirely terrible this spring I'm planning to go to Brighton in April or May.

I'm planning to stay for two or three weeks and if the right opportunities come I might just stay all summer.

Whenever I go somewhere I usually end up in pretty... Bohemian environments. Maybe there is a student association of slackers, hippies, stoners and culturally creative people. Or maybe a neighborhood with the same clientel.

I've understood that Brighton is quite gentrified though so there might not be much of that, but maybe in the surrounding villages? What about Falmer?

Also you people, young or old, grumpy or wise, are going to the pub with me.

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
Whenever I go somewhere I usually end up in pretty... Bohemian environments. Maybe there is a student association of slackers, hippies, stoners and culturally creative people. Or maybe a neighborhood with the same clientel.

You've just described Brighton.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Falmer itself is tiny and a genteel village full of people who didn't want the stadium building.

Next to it is Moulscoombe which is, er, lovely and certainly full of students (ok it's an old school housing scheme with some dodgy characters, the accomodation there is cheap for a reason, but there are a lot of students there as its next to the two universities, however they will all be at home over Easter and the summer and you will be left with some large and interesting familes for company).

The most bohemian bits are in the City Centre but they are also the most expensive. Kemp Town is very arty but very, very gay. The centre and bits of Kemp Town will be where most of the action is however and where all the good pubs are. An Air BnB for two weeks should be doable but you'll want to do a lot of research before you find accomodation for a longer stay.

The further west you go the more families you will encounter. Mum, Dad, two kids, a shaggy dog, a vinyl record player and craft beer in the fridge in Hove, Mum, Mum, three uncontrollable kids and a fridge full of prosecco in Portslade.

The above is, of course, completely stereotypical but not completely untrue. Basically be careful staying near the ground as it's right out of town and does have some very dodgy parts.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
As it looks like my economy possibly wont be entirely terrible this spring I'm planning to go to Brighton in April or May.

I'm planning to stay for two or three weeks and if the right opportunities come I might just stay all summer.

I've understood that Brighton is quite gentrified though so there might not be much of that, but maybe in the surrounding villages? What about Falmer?

Also you people, young or old, grumpy or wise, are going to the pub with me.

Brighton is shit, Hastings is much better !

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
In my experience the best place to find a bohemian, multicultural gathering in Brighton during the summer is on a Thursday of a County Championship game at Hove, especially early season.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
If you're in the Preston Park area watch out for a fat bloke in a union jack waistcoat, especially if you're cycling.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
My advice stay in central Hove near the sea and all the restaurants, much nicer and quieter than Brighton and not full of tourists or students like central Brighton.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here