Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Ricky Gervais.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I loved the US version of The Office but the original is an stone cold classic. It nails British work culture like nothing before or since. Genius.

I haven't really enjoyed anything by Gervais for a while. I thought After Life was overrated and mostly a bit crap. I enjoyed Derek, actually. I watched his new standup. Meh.

Agree, I think if you've worked in an office then you can appreciate it even more.

Absolutely nailed it.

No it doesn't. Comedy is fast becoming a very crappy place where you can't say anything or speak about anyone without being called out by some f**king gimp for offending. The whole point of going is knowing you might wince a little but wet yourself laughing at the same time.

It's true what the good comedians say, they feel scared now to say things.

That Acaster is a c**t.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Is it just me who finds it a touch ironic that a very rich person is using his platform to tell other very rich people not to get all political?

you're missing the point , it's not all about the money .......i loved the look on Tom Hanks's face , like, "does he mean me ...?? me..?" had to be done and no better person to do it.I didn't like Gervaise until Afterlife and have now back tracked to his stand up stuff and Derek ...still can't watch the office though , it reminds me of too many people.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
No it doesn't. Comedy is fast becoming a very crappy place where you can't say anything or speak about anyone without being called out by some f**king gimp for offending. The whole point of going is knowing you might wince a little but wet yourself laughing at the same time.

That Acaster is a c**t.

I agree that Acaster is rubbish. Very annoying personality. However, the rest of your post is simply untrue.

Any comedian can say anything they want. As long as they can find a venue to host them and they don’t wander in to the realms of hate-speak.

If you go on telly with an edgy act, you’ll likely offend someone but that has been the case since telly started broadcasting. Mary Whitehouse founded her Clean Up Television group in 1964, almost 60 years ago.

I think we are living through particularly sensitive times but the laws remain the same and people are still allowed to be as offensive as they wish.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
The stand up persona he uses is not very likeable, even if the material is decent. The Office, Extras, Afterlife all show he has more empathy and feeling than is on display as a stand up or presenter. I suspect that like a lot of us, he grew up taking the piss and having it taken to the extent that would be called bullying today, and uses that kind of humour for stand up.

i think he comes across as disliking the current world in general , which for a middle aged guy is about par for the course.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I agree that Acaster is rubbish. Very annoying personality. However, the rest of your post is simply untrue.

Any comedian can say anything they want. As long as they can find a venue to host them and they don’t wander in to the realms of hate-speak.

If you go on telly with an edgy act, you’ll likely offend someone but that has been the case since telly started broadcasting. Mary Whitehouse founded her Clean Up Television group in 1964, almost 60 years ago.

I think we are living through particularly sensitive times but the laws remain the same and people are still allowed to be as offensive as they wish.

Acaster along with the rest of the current crop is bang average , the crew that revolves through various series of Taskmaster is to a man/ woman bang average Gregg Davies must be ashamed.

I was gutted when Sean Lock passed away , that guy was a bloody comic genius.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

That Acaster is a c**t.
What are we struggling to hear? Ricky Gervais stand up is on the biggest streaming provider in the world.

Sent from my M2010J19CG using Tapatalk

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Acaster along with the rest of the current crop is bang average , the crew that revolves through various series of Taskmaster is to a man/ woman bang average Gregg Davies must be ashamed.

I was gutted when Sean Lock passed away , that guy was a bloody comic genius.

I think there has been some great comics on TM

Bob Mortimer
Alan Davies
Wozniak
Tim Key
Frank Skinner
Joe Wilkinson
Ardal O’Hanlan
Al Murray
Marc Watson
Tim Vine
Johnny Vegas
Lee Mack

To name a few off the top of my head.

Some funny folks in there, no?

But yes largely, the current comedians getting lots of airtime are not to my taste.

Acaster is simply not funny.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I think there has been some great comics on TM

Bob Mortimer
Alan Davies
Wozniak
Tim Key
Frank Skinner
Joe Wilkinson
Ardal O’Hanlan
Al Murray
Marc Watson
Tim Vine
Johnny Vegas
Lee Mack

To name a few off the top of my head.

Some funny folks in there, no?

But yes largely, the current comedians getting lots of airtime are not to my taste.

Acaster is simply not funny.

I have to disagree here but for me, James Acaster is one of the top stand-ups doing the rounds at them moment. Cold Lasagna and Repertoire are some of the best routines I have seen. Quirky and awkward hilarious, a clever pleasure to watch for me. Still, we don't all need to agree.

I struggle to get into Taskmaster though, not sure why but it doesn't do it for me.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I have to disagree here but for me, James Acaster is one of the top stand-ups doing the rounds at them moment. Cold Lasagna and Repertoire are some of the best routines I have seen. Quirky and awkward hilarious, a clever pleasure to watch for me. Still, we don't all need to agree.

I struggle to get into Taskmaster though, not sure why but it doesn't do it for me.

People’s different tastes are what have produced such variety in the arts and that can only be a good thing!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
People’s different tastes are what have produced such variety in the arts and that can only be a good thing!

Totally agree, It is a shame to me that an earlier poster chose to call a comedian he doesn't like a ****.

To me this is in the same vein as people wishing to 'cancel' comedians because they don't like their content.

Vive Le Difference as the French say.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
One trick pony, although his one trick (The Office) is up there with greatest British Television ever made.

It's difficult when the first kick of your professional career wins The World Cup.

Very much this.

I watched a lot of Extras, thought it was great at first, but with every episode, the joke template became ever more obvious and I don't think I watched all of it in the end. (Although the scene where the woman is telling a black woman to 'Get off the bus!' in view of a male black actor she fancies is brilliant)

Find his telling actors to shut up about causes or whatever a bit rich seeing as he often uses his platform to talk about animal rights issues.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Totally agree, It is a shame to me that an earlier poster chose to call a comedian he doesn't like a ****.

To me this is in the same vein as people wishing to 'cancel' comedians because they don't like their content.

The modus operandi of every student union and debating society in the UK... if the subject matter drifts into controversial territory, the cancel card has shown and the debate becomes one dimensional.... "ooooo... you have a different opinion to me, you dont have the right to express it"

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
The modus operandi of every student union and debating society in the UK... if the subject matter drifts into controversial territory, the cancel card has shown and the debate becomes one dimensional.... "ooooo... you have a different opinion to me, you dont have the right to express it"

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

So they say. Well those that want to push this narrative.

I am going to need a bit of convincing that what you say is accurate. I am sure that some stuff has happened in some places but 'every student union and debating society?' I highly doubt it. Most? Probably not some? Maybe.

From the examples I have seen, most of the time there is a bit more to it that simply a different opinion also.

Sent from my M2010J19CG using Tapatalk

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

They are vastly different though. not liking someone or thinking they're a **** is perfectly normal human response, whether it's justified or not. It's in no way the same as demanding something or someone as "cancelled'if that really exists.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Ooh look at the brave, edgy comedians. Kicking down against a much maligned and persecuted minority. Then having to cower in fear in their massive ****-off LA mansions with nothing to do but count their millions. Hiding from all the woke mobs saying things like “maybe being cruel to a group you haven’t bothered trying to understand and instead make cheap, lurid jokes about isn’t cool, y’know?”

Last edited:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Ooh look at the brave, edgy comedians. Kicking down against a much maligned and persecuted minority. Then having to cower in fear in their massive ****-off LA mansions with nothing to do but count their millions. Hiding from all the woke mobs saying things like “maybe being cruel to a group you haven’t bothered trying to understand and instead make cheap, lurid jokes about isn’t cool, y’know?”

Frankie Boyle ..? Kevin Bridges..? you can't say it ain't funny just because you don't like it .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here