Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Robert Sánchez

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Thought the boy looked good today for Rochdale, can see him having a good future in the game.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
He made some very good saves keeping Rochdale in the game. With him and Christian Walton on our books, it looks like the keeper's gloves are on good hands.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
He made some very good saves in a very unflustered manner, he did everything you'd expect and bar a kamikaze wave at a few crosses into the box, he was cool and composed. He looks a real prospect, but my concern is that his path into our team is very tough. Even if he gets a Championship loan next season, I find it hard to believe he'd ever get into our team barring relegation.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
He made some very good saves in a very unflustered manner, he did everything you'd expect and bar a kamikaze wave at a few crosses into the box, he was cool and composed. He looks a real prospect, but my concern is that his path into our team is very tough. Even if he gets a Championship loan next season, I find it hard to believe he'd ever get into our team barring relegation.

I think he might just edge ahead of Walton, whose career seems to have stood still the last 18 months or so.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
He’s got 2 years on Walton, so wouldn’t surprise me if we sell Walton, Sanchez steps up to championship with a view of coming back to us - 21/22 season.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Sanchez and Walton are both able young stoppers.

I believe we well sell them both in the summer, for relatively modest fees with a decent sell on.

It's ball playing that our incoming keepers will have to prove they can do and when they were recruited the criteria was very different.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Sanchez and Walton are both able young stoppers.

I believe we well sell them both in the summer, for relatively modest fees with a decent sell on.

It's ball playing that our incoming keepers will have to prove they can do and when they were recruited the criteria was very different.
He's young, and realistically he would have had the importance of kicking rammed down his throat for at least two years. I believe his kicking is supposed to be pretty good.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I think he might just edge ahead of Walton, whose career seems to have stood still the last 18 months or so.

Are we both being a bit hard on Walton though? He played a lot of football for Wigan in the Championship last season, albeit a bit in and out, and has played every game for Blackburn this season. He didn't fill me with any confidence at all at Crawley, but I haven't seen much of him for Blackburn. He looks like being the man to step up next season, assuming Button or Steele fancy playing football again at some point in their careers. Steele probably less likely to want to leave though, based on the Netflix documentary on Sunderland.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Are we both being a bit hard on Walton though? He played a lot of football for Wigan in the Championship last season, albeit a bit in and out, and has played every game for Blackburn this season. He didn't fill me with any confidence at all at Crawley, but I haven't seen much of him for Blackburn. He looks like being the man to step up next season, assuming Button or Steele fancy playing football again at some point in their careers. Steele probably less likely to want to leave though, based on the Netflix documentary on Sunderland.
I don't know. I do get the impression that Blackburn (fans at least) aren't over-enthusiastic about him. If he's found his level, and Championship is that level, it's not a bad career. Besides, it is often the case that GKs don't mature until their mid to late twenties, so maybe it is best for everyone if we let him go - for a fair price, of course - to get a stable job somewhere, with a substantial sell on clause so that if he does develop into a world beater in five years time, we won't have lost out.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Walton I've seen a few times and he is absolutely glued to the goal line, very hard to imagine him in Potterball. Sanchez I haven't seen but he got a couple of insane Whoscored ratings in Rochdale.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Just signed new 3 year contract which will take him up to 25. Ashworth says he’ll be assessed at end of season and in pre-season as to what we do with him next season.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
Just signed new 3 year contract which will take him up to 25. Ashworth says he’ll be assessed at end of season and in pre-season as to what we do with him next season.

I suspect we will see Walton moving to be Ryan’s backup and Sanchez out on loan in the championship (if we can find a club). Button or Steele to be moved on.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I suspect we will see Walton moving to be Ryan’s backup and Sanchez out on loan in the championship (if we can find a club). Button or Steele to be moved on.

I think we should move on Button, because he has some resale value. Also, I think it would be cruel to sell Steele to another club, knowing he's only really fit to be a training goalkeeper. Based solely on the Sunderland documentary, he seems like a good bloke and I'm sure he works hard in training to get Maty Ran right. I think we've taken up enough of Button's time now, he's had a few Premier League games last season, we should allow him to resume his playing career in the Championship next season.

Walton is an able deputy and we'll see how Sanchez gets on in the Championship next season.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
If Steele is happy to be third choice, and play the odd game for the u23's and the VERY occasional game for the 1st team then I don't see a problem with keeping him around

I'm not really sure why Button is still here to be honest? a handful of games in a season and a half and he could surely get first team football at a number of championship sides

I say let Button go, promote Walton to second choice, keep Steele and loan out Sanchez- this is providing we stay up of course

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
If Steele is happy to be third choice, and play the odd game for the u23's and the VERY occasional game for the 1st team then I don't see a problem with keeping him around

I'm not really sure why Button is still here to be honest? a handful of games in a season and a half and he could surely get first team football at a number of championship sides

I say let Button go, promote Walton to second choice, keep Steele and loan out Sanchez- this is providing we stay up of course

Also both HGPs so important for the numbers..............

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Agreed. To be honest l think Walton will make a much better deputy than either Button or Steele next season.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Would like to see Walton back with us, though he may not want to be no. 2 when he’s been used to playing regularly for the past 2 seasons or so, albeit at a lower level.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
No point in having Walton back unless he’s going to be number 1.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Really think Walton should come back next season and put pressure on Ryan for first choice - let’s face it GK is the one position that picks itself week in week out, Ryan needs genuine competition

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here