Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Handball Euro 2020

Mexican Seagull

Jan 16, 2013
Mexico City
And to Swanssamn - Hope that Denmark win the World Championship!!!! Ideally thrashing Sweden along the way!!!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
That's a silly analogy - you've gone to a ridiculous end of a spectrum to try to make an irrelevant point.

Running along with a ball gripped in your hand before chucking it towards a goal is INFINITELY easier than trying to dribble along with a ball at your feet before shooting. The ball is gripped in your hand FFS, its not out in the open. Are you going to dispute that ?

I'm not even a massive cricket fan, but I can certainly recognise that its a game that involves FAR more multitudes of refined skillsets than handball. Which is why nobody watches handball, its just one of those niche little minority sports. Easy to pick up and play - a doddle - which is why its popular in some quarters as a participation sport. But very few people give a shit about it, because nothing about it is ever spectacular or interesting.

If anyone gave a toss about handball, it would get some decent coverage. It doesn't. That should tell you all you need to know. Its about on a par with archery.

Yes I'm going to dispute that, just like in basketball you're not allowed to take more than three steps with the ball without bouncing it meaning its more out in the open than its not.

Its interesting that you see handball as a "small minority sport" when it is one of the most popular sports in Europe, far more popular than cricket. Its the second biggest sport in the biggest country in Europe (Germany), its the third most popular team sport in France after football and basket, in former Yugoslavia its the number 1-3 sport in every country, same in the Nordic countries.

Since handball is the far more popular sport on our continent, it does got decent coverage pretty much everywhere in Europe, just not in the UK.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Well that´s an unwinnable discussion trying to say cricket is better more skillfull than handball or vice versa. Having played cricket as a boy in Brighton and then learning handball when I moved to Copenhagen, I can vouch to Swannsman & Easy Boy that they are both great but very different sports. And both much much better than my two pet hates as "sports" American Football and Synchronised Swimming.....

Fair enough, I believe you. As I said in a previous post, its pretty ****ing difficult to compare these sports..

It does across Europe, millions. I find it completely unwatchable, but it's massive.

Also fair enough. Not liking handball is very subjective, but at least acknowleding that it is (in Europe, and in the world if India didnt have a billion people) a very popular sport.

And to Swanssamn - Hope that Denmark win the World Championship!!!! Ideally thrashing Sweden along the way!!!

Hah. Wouldnt surprise me one bit. Sweden got a poor team currently, been doing surprisingly well so far. Denmark look strong.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It does across Europe, millions. I find it completely unwatchable, but it's massive.

Yes I'm going to dispute that, just like in basketball you're not allowed to take more than three steps with the ball without bouncing it meaning its more out in the open than its not.

Its interesting that you see handball as a "small minority sport" when it is one of the most popular sports in Europe, far more popular than cricket. Its the second biggest sport in the biggest country in Europe (Germany), its the third most popular team sport in France after football and basket, in former Yugoslavia its the number 1-3 sport in every country, same in the Nordic countries.

Since handball is the far more popular sport on our continent, it does got decent coverage pretty much everywhere in Europe, just not in the UK.

Fair enough, my incorrect assumption was that the zero coverage in this country was largely equated across the rest of the world. I didn't realise that it was actually quite popular, thats surprising.

I'm still not having it that its a more skilful sport than cricket though, but maybe we're comparing apples with oranges.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks

Back in 2012 the only tickets I got for the Olympics were for 2 Handball Q/F's - Spain vs France & Sweden vs Demark. They were brilliant. I'd never seen the game before at all but was instantly hooked. It was quick & skilful and the atmosphere was amazing, loads of fans from the 4 countries involved and it really was like being at the football with all the singing & cheering. Both games were won in the last few seconds which helped I guess.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
For the 0,23% of you who care, Sweden beat France in the semi final. Other game is onging but will be Spain or Denmark in the fiinal.

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
There was a commemorative 50p piece produced for the 2012 Olympics. Who knew?

220px-UK_Pound_50_pence_London_2012_Handball_coin.jpg

Confess the design reminds me of the board game 'Escape from Colditz' when your mate playing as the German security officer played the 'Shoot to kill' card.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
That's a silly analogy - you've gone to a ridiculous end of a spectrum to try to make an irrelevant point.

Running along with a ball gripped in your hand before chucking it towards a goal is INFINITELY easier than trying to dribble along with a ball at your feet before shooting. The ball is gripped in your hand FFS, its not out in the open. Are you going to dispute that ?

I'm not even a massive cricket fan, but I can certainly recognise that its a game that involves FAR more multitudes of refined skillsets than handball. Which is why nobody watches handball, its just one of those niche little minority sports. Easy to pick up and play - a doddle - which is why its popular in some quarters as a participation sport. But very few people give a shit about it, because nothing about it is ever spectacular or interesting.

If anyone gave a toss about handball, it would get some decent coverage. It doesn't. That should tell you all you need to know. Its about on a par with archery.

I love NFL, as you seem to as well, but it's hardly a global sport.

Why so harsh on handball? It's huge on the continent. Just because it's not here there's no reason to belittle it. I quite like cricket too but can certainly see why it's not a global sport. Handball's a lot more fast pace for a start. Of course its extremely skillful too if you play at top level.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
For the 0,23% of you who care, Sweden beat France in the semi final. Other game is onging but will be Spain or Denmark in the fiinal.

Out of interest, how big is handball in Sweden? Are we talking national sport kind of level? Congrats on making the final, anyway. Intriguing sport, all the more so for us as it's never taken off here

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
I love NFL, as you seem to as well, but it's hardly a global sport.

Why so harsh on handball? It's huge on the continent. Just because it's not here there's no reason to belittle it. I quite like cricket too but can certainly see why it's not a global sport. Handball's a lot more fast pace for a start. Of course its extremely skillful too if you play at top level.

Apart from football, I don't think there are any genuinely global sports. Everything else is either popular in specific countries or regions (like handball or american sports) or only in former colonies or similar like cricket or rugby.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Out of interest, how big is handball in Sweden? Are we talking national sport kind of level? Congrats on making the final, anyway. Intriguing sport, all the more so for us as it's never taken off here

In team sports among the common public.. 1 . football 2. floorball 3. ice hockey 4. handball

So not reallly "national sport". Only country where it is equal to football is Slovenia I think.

Too bad for the sports that its not big in the UK, UK may be the dead empire of Europe but when it comes to sport its very influental. To me its the best TV sport, very exciting, doesnt get the attention it deserves in the English speaking part however as its not very popular in England and the US (reasonable in Australia)l

Thanks - used to be our national pride, we kept pretty much the same team between 1988-2001 and won a bunch of titles but since then its been all France, Denmark and Germany,

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Apart from football, I don't think there are any genuinely global sports. Everything else is either popular in specific countries or regions (like handball or american sports) or only in former colonies or similar like cricket or rugby.

Yeah, you're right. There really aren't any other genuinely global sports. Football really is the common language!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Open your notebooks: First Swedish gold in 20 years after beating Spain 27-26 in the final. Get in!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here