Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Handball Euro 2020

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
So just one week to go before the tournament we've all been waiting for.

Difficult to predict this year. Spain looks strong, but most of their key players are now 35+. France still aren't done swapping out their golden generation, but with good reason as Karabatic, Abalo and Guigou are still world class players. Denmark looking really good as well.

As for Sweden we reached the final, somehow, two years ago but got stomped by Spain in the second half as seen below. Would be very surprised if we make it that far but at least I hope we play some good handball, entertainment wise it's been so-so for quite a while.

So... anybody in here have any interest in handball?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Anyone else open this thread thinking was going to be about a new handball rule being trialled at Euro 2020 this summer?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Any sport where it is THAT piss-easy to score is utter gubbins, imo. No craft or guile to it, just run up the court and FUZZ it in. Yawn.

Its even worse than basketball, and thats saying something.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Any sport where it is THAT piss-easy to score is utter gubbins, imo. No craft or guile to it, just run up the court and FUZZ it in. Yawn.

Try it... get a handball, a goal and tell six 200 centimetre guys to try and stop you - nearly any means are allowed - and you'll see how easy it is.

Meanwhile, cricket...

Mexican Seagull

Jan 16, 2013
Mexico City
A lot more to it than, that agree with Swansman, my years living in Denmark warmed me to the game especially in the 70s and 80s when Denmark battled against the huge Eastern Europeans, especially on the womens side and the danes had to beat the brutes with guile and technique + a bit of Viking force when needed.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Try it... get a handball, a goal and tell six 200 centimetre guys to try and stop you - nearly any means are allowed - and you'll see how easy it is.

Meanwhile, cricket...

I'm a middle aged man with a paunch, so i'm not saying that I personally would cream it with the pro's. But I'm sorry, for sport to have any value, it at least has to LOOK difficult to score. And hurling a mini-football into a net is a piece of piss for anyone.

Scoring a goal with a volley, striking a 90mph cricket ball to the boundary, returning a 100mph serve with topspin to the back of the court - now THAT takes immense skill, guile and timing. Running up a court and chucking a little ball into a net ? Do me a lemon.

What's the Handball equivalent of Ali J's bicycle kick the other day ?Would you EVER see anything as captivating and spectacular as that ? If not - thats why no-one watches it. Its a 5 line paragraph during the Olympics, tucked away behind rock-climbing and canoeing.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I'm a middle aged man with a paunch, so i'm not saying that I personally would cream it with the pro's. But I'm sorry, for sport to have any value, it at least has to LOOK difficult to score. And hurling a mini-football into a net is a piece of piss for anyone.

Scoring a goal with a volley, striking a 90mph cricket ball to the boundary, returning a 100mph serve with topspin to the back of the court - now THAT takes immense skill, guile and timing. Running up a court and chucking a little ball into a net ? Do me a lemon.

What's the Handball equivalent of Ali J's bicycle kick the other day ?Would you EVER see anything as captivating and spectacular as that ? If not - thats why no-one watches it. Its a 5 line paragraph during the Olympics, tucked away behind rock-climbing and canoeing.

No-one watches it in the UK no, but it's one of the biggest sports in Europe. Far more popular than in example cricket (in Europe).

Handball equivalent of Ali Is goal? Hmm. Maybe the first one in this video:

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
I was at 2 of the Q/F’s at London 2012 and they were great. Denmark vs Sweden & France vs Spain. Both were really noisy with loads of fans for all teams creating a superb atmosphere. And I think both matches were decided in last few seconds.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
We went to the copper box in the Olympics to watch Handball. It was basically what we got in the ballot, but we all enjoyed it. It wasn't our first choice of what to watch if I'm honest, but knew we would enjoy it. Fast paced game and so quite exciting to watch.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
We went to the copper box in the Olympics to watch Handball. It was basically what we got in the ballot, but we all enjoyed it. It wasn't our first choice of what to watch if I'm honest, but knew we would enjoy it. Fast paced game and so quite exciting to watch.

Seems like the Olympics boosted it's popularity in the UK a little bit as your national team has steadily grown stronger since. If I remember correctly I even think you recently qualified to take part in the qualification for next tournament.

Doubt it will ever be a major sport over there but for the size and attention around the sport it would be great if the UK and the US at least got good enough to participate in tournaments.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Handball, my only claim to fame. I was the most expensive goalkeeper in the history of the St Luke's School bidding auctions. I cost 40 of the 60 available bidding points. Naturally, 'Voyager de bleu' won the league on the back of my heroic performances.

I've never played or watched it since.

A wasted vocation.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Seems like the Olympics boosted it's popularity in the UK a little bit as your national team has steadily grown stronger since. If I remember correctly I even think you recently qualified to take part in the qualification for next tournament.

Doubt it will ever be a major sport over there but for the size and attention around the sport it would be great if the UK and the US at least got good enough to participate in tournaments.

I suspect outside of big cities here, kids will struggle to get into it.

One of my daughters plays Korfball. There are no local leagues at all. I suspect the same goes for handball.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
No-one watches it in the UK no, but it's one of the biggest sports in Europe. Far more popular than in example cricket (in Europe).

Handball equivalent of Ali Is goal? Hmm. Maybe the first one in this video:

Mmmnah. Not even close. Its just not difficult enough. Jumping up in the air holding a ball in your hand and chucking it into the net, vs an overhead bicycle kick volley ? DO behave.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Handball World Championship going on at the moment.

Sweden vs Russia in the second round, winner of the game goes to the quarter final. Sweden up 10-4 at the moment, 15 minutes played.

I know you all care A LOT

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

I’m with you Easy, don’t get this sport at all.

People obviously having fun with it though so each to their own.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here