Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Taking kids to their first football match - any tips?

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Hi All

Am taking my boys [6 and 4] to their first match at the Amex tomorrow. Any tips on things do do /things to avoid doing, and how to ensure the kids remain entertained/focused for the 90 mins would be appreciated.

thanks in advance

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Get some sweets, if in the East Lower engage in the children's activities pre match and don't expect them to sit and watch the warm up and then sit through the whole match

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
4? Good luck!! Mine were both 6 for their first game.
Don’t expect them to stay focused for the whole match, take something for them to do, the match program will keep them entertained for approximately 30 seconds so unless you want a first match souvenir I wouldn’t waste your money.
Be prepared for adults who do not give a shit about swearing profusely in front of kids.
Gully and friends are normally outside an hour or so before KO for photos.
Avoid the club shop at all costs!!!!

Enjoy it, I still remember taking mine for the their first matches.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Seek out Gully and get photo of the kids with Gully. Go to club shop before hand, you might get sucked into buying something but kills a few minutes and gets them excited.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Bring lots of money!!!

Take them to where you will be sitting whilst the ground is relatively empty, it's a lot less intimidating when the seats are mostly empty.

Dont be too down hearted if they aren't overly interested, it's a long time for young kids to retain interest.

I suggest you bring an alternative entertainment method if you plan on staying till the end.

Jan 30, 2008
Wouldn't it be better to wait until they were of an age where their attention span was less limited , you can only put up with I'm bored for so long and before anyone gets on their high horse I was 14 when I went to my first Albion game
Regards
DF

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
My son was 6 when he went to his first game at the Amex. He didn't pay attention to the game much, but noticed bits and pieces. We arrived fairly close to kick off so he wasn't hanging around and went down to the relative warmth of the concourse at half time. Made sure he had a wee before the game and at HT so I didn't have to take him during the game and kept him well topped up with sweets and a hotdog. He's now 13 and has been a STH for 4 seasons so clearly enjoyed it but, to this day, he cannot remember anything about his first game.

The biggest giveaway (it was the Watford home game where we lost 3-1) was that our goal was a penalty. Me - "make sure you watch, we could score". Him - stares at me. Me - "gooooall Did you see it?". Him "what Daddy?"

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Charge up your phone and fill it with games :wink:

I still remember my son entertaining the North Stand at Withdean, by loudly announcing HOW LONG ? 45 MINUTES ? I'M GONNA DIE OF STARVATION :smile:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Good luck....

I took junior to his first game (local non-league, and a short walk from home which made an escape much easier if it was needed) when he was about 6 and he loved it - was interested in the whole game. You might need to explain some footballing terms to them so be prepared for that. One of the first games we went to included 'Dad, what is a w*****r and why are those men singing that the referee is one ?' :lolol::lolol::lolol:

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Wouldn't it be better to wait until they were of an age where their attention span was less limited , you can only put up with I'm bored for so long and before anyone gets on their high horse I was 14 when I went to my first Albion game
Regards
DF

So you have only been an Albion fan for a year ? Wow.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I took my son to his one and only live football match, when we played Darlington away in January 1998 - we lost 1-0 and I seem to recall it was a pretty shit match!

Fortunately I had the foresight to take a Thomas the Tank Engine colouring book with me, which he enjoyed immensely...!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Yep, make sure you teach them the “whoooooooa you’re shit aaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrgggggghhhhh” chant, kids love that.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Both of mine (boy and girl) were about 6, neither is an ardent fan and have little interest even now :down:

We were at Gillingham when I took my daughter and they let her take her pram with a doll in and she ran up and down the deserted front of the Gordon Road stand with it. Wouldn’t happen at the Amex :lolol:

I took my 6 year old grandson to the Wigan promotion game, he was bored stiff for most of the game and fecking terrified at the promotion celebrations. He is vaguely interested these days and wears his Albion shirt to the games he plays in his home county of Kent.

I wish you better luck!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Hi All

Am taking my boys [6 and 4] to their first match at the Amex tomorrow. Any tips on things do do /things to avoid doing, and how to ensure the kids remain entertained/focused for the 90 mins would be appreciated.

thanks in advance

Kids have good minds to keep themselves occupied, but it you offer them a device, they'll take, so my advice, don't offer them phones or ipads. Think about playing games to do with the game, so we might have a card (or anything) and you passed it to the next person every time there was a set piece, i.e. corner, free kick etc. whoever was holding the card at a certain time point, say HT or 20mins or whatever you decide wins a prize - likely sweets. This next one does sound geeky, but I'd also sometimes have a sheet where they could mark down corners, and other stats (that only worked once or twice though) so they follow the game through noticing specific things.

Other things like adding up shirt numbers, counting passes in a move, etc. etc. can give them interest in a spectacle that might otherwise be a bit bewildering. Saying all that, took my son at 5 and he'd fall asleep 2nd half so that was quite easy - probably as a result of the stat sheets! :lolol:

In the US, given American Football is long and boring (for younger fans...) they do a lot more stuff like football bingo:
fc045dcb04132a38b59163a6978c466c.jpg

Last edited:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Just take them something to do (after about 8-10min) and they'll be FINE.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Pray for goals - took mine and a few of their friends to the 0-0 Cup game last year (West Brom maybe?), tough keeping them going through that. Peak final months of Hughton didn't do much for primary aged kids.

Best bit is the pre-match build up, my two (5 and 7 at the time i think) were really gee'd up by that and got into it. Sweets at half time, don't be shy about leaving before the end.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Be unrelenting in your mickey taking of the opposition fans, make funny noises, perhaps pretend to be the referee when he’s talking to the opposition players and say the reason he gave a free kick to Brighton was because Sheffield smell like poo.

Have fun.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here