Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 3.01 pm kick-off. Time for some more preaching

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
A short film narrated by the Duke of Cambridge will be played at FA Cup matches to encourage football fans to look after their mental health.
The film will be played in stadiums just before kick-off at every FA Cup third round match this weekend.
Kick-off for all 32 fixtures will be delayed for 60 seconds to prompt fans to consider their well-being.

What a bunch of extreme bollocks. Is anyone REALLY going to consider their well-being for one minute before a football match because they're prompted to? We're football fans going to a football match. Stop assuming we all need help. And if we do, then a football match is not the time or place. Everyone's fecking virtue signalling. Oh, aren't we great, we're pretending to be interested in mental health … two weeks ago it was rainbow laces. Open a frigging church next door to the Amex so that folks who want to be preached at can go in there before the game. Rant over. Well, this one anyway … for the moment.

Just imagine if you can if this had been done before a game at the Goldstone. Everyone would have fallen about laughing … and this would be the correct reaction tomorrow.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Speaking of which, anyone know why the ref was dicking around on the touchline before the Chelsea match? Caused the game to start at 12.31. I sort of assumed it must have been the day they were doing the mental health thing. Either that or he was asking if anybody had any red and yellow cards he could borrow as he seemed to have mislaid his somewhere.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Speaking of which, why was the ref dicking around on the touchline before the Chelsea match? Caused the game to start at 12.31. I sort of assumed it must have been the day they were doing the mental health thing.

They were messing around with the Ref/lino comms thingies (not the first time this season). Not sure why they bothered.................

'Which way was that throw in ?'

'Dunno ref'

'I dunno either, I'll give it to Chelsea, they're a top 6 club'

'Good plan'

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
I doubt many people will be laughing at Mental Health issues tomorrow, maybe that shows how the majority of people and society have evolved since the seventies and eighties, however your post shows that there is still some way to go.

Shopes

Jan 3, 2018
I can't see the problem. If it will encourage more people to seek help, then it will all be worth it.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I doubt many people will be laughing at Mental Health issues tomorrow, maybe that shows how the majority of people and society have evolved since the seventies and eighties, however your post shows that there is still some way to go for some.

Guess the OP hasn't had to deal with mental illness impacting anyone close. If one single person is helped by it (maybe someone contemplating suicide who decides to speak to someone perhaps ? I dunno) then it'll have been worthwhile IMO. Football is arguably the IDEAL place for something like this - blokes are far less likely to face up to MH issues.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I doubt many people will be laughing at Mental Health issues tomorrow, maybe that shows how the majority of people and society have evolved since the seventies and eighties, however your post shows that there is still some way to go.

Well, they should. After all laughter is the best medicine.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
A short film narrated by the Duke of Cambridge will be played at FA Cup matches to encourage football fans to look after their mental health.
The film will be played in stadiums just before kick-off at every FA Cup third round match this weekend.
Kick-off for all 32 fixtures will be delayed for 60 seconds to prompt fans to consider their well-being.

What a bunch of extreme bollocks. Is anyone REALLY going to consider their well-being for one minute before a football match because they're prompted to? We're football fans going to a football match. Stop assuming we all need help. And if we do, then a football match is not the time or place. Everyone's fecking virtue signalling. Oh, aren't we great, we're pretending to be interested in mental health … two weeks ago it was rainbow laces. Open a frigging church next door to the Amex so that folks who want to be preached at can go in there before the game. Rant over. Well, this one anyway … for the moment.

Just imagine if you can if this had been done before a game at the Goldstone. Everyone would have fallen about laughing … and this would be the correct reaction tomorrow.

Two suggestions:

1) Stay in the bar and don't watch it
2) Seek out one of the many posters on NSC who have mental health issues and go and laugh in their faces. That'll teach 'em to be a bit stronger.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Suicide rates hit a 16 year high last year and continues to rise. Males continue to make up 75% of those statistics.

The only way to perhaps address it is to perhaps a) encourage those suffering to get help and b) those not suffering to maybe recognise or be aware when someone they know or love might be.

Or you could talk about laughing at the issue - they do say laughing is good for your mental wellbeing.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Two suggestions:

1) Stay in the bar and don't watch it
2) Seek out one of the many posters on NSC who have mental health issues and go and laugh in their faces. That'll teach 'em to be a bit stronger.

And how exactly is having a 3.01pm kick-off going to help them? Are we going to have a 3.01 pm kick-off at EVERY game and feature a different illness at every game? Cancer at the next game, lower back pain at the following one? We've got to be fair and treat everyone equally you know. That is now the way of the world. Brighton and Hove Albion is a FOOTBALL club, not a medical clinic.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Is this actually a serious post?

Yes, it's a football club, yes we're going to watch a match - but significant numbers of people in the crowd will either have a mental illness or know someone that does. If you can't take one minute out of your day to consider others, well...

Albion_Dave

Jul 4, 2011
Eastbourne
And how exactly is having a 3.01pm kick-off going to help them? Are we going to have a 3.01 pm kick-off at EVERY game and feature a different illness at every game? Cancer at the next game, lower back pain at the following one? We've got to be fair and treat everyone equally you know. That is now the way of the world. Brighton and Hove Albion is a FOOTBALL club, not a medical clinic.

It's 60 seconds out of your life. No drama really.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
The op would have been better off sending this in for the Daily Mail letters page, but I suppose obnoxious **** that he is he'll enjoy the attention he's getting on here more.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011

Any chance you can give us an up to date list of those people types you don't like as it is hard to keep track? From memory, we have a black woman being given the Sky at Night job as tokenism and box ticking, despite being massively qualified. Amputee weather presenters, obvs. Let's not forget anyone of the Islamic faith. People with mental health issues. Cuddly toy?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
They were messing around with the Ref/lino comms thingies (not the first time this season). Not sure why they bothered.................

'Which way was that throw in ?'

'Dunno ref'

'I dunno either, I'll give it to Chelsea, they're a top 6 club'

'Good plan'

I thought it was originally something to do with the kit their keeper was wearing that was the same as the bibs that the stewards were wearing.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As an acutely depressed sad pathetic lonely middle aged man (hence the post count) who can't even manage a manic high.
I hope the message gets through to someone, who feels like me but has enough left within themselves to be spurred on to seek change

Instead of resigning themselves to being a lost cause.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Actually Albion in the Community has done a massive campaign on cancer, including talks with survivors at halftime, specifically aimed at blokes, because, guess what, they have an audience of males in their thousands who are at risk. I don't remember one of your tedious bellend rants about that though because railing against cancer treatment is a step too far even for a thick, elderly, self obsessed troll like yourself. Personally if literally one father, brother, granddad or son survives cancer because they found out what to look for at half time at the match that's a win all round.

Same here. It's worth it if one person with issues opens up, seeks treatment or just talks to a friend. I literally couldn't care less if you feel a bit put out by it if it saves a life, And it might.

Still, at least you've made a stand against it by making yourself look like a **** on the internet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here