Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Amex pitch

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
It looks bare in a lot of places. Not bad but compared to other premiership pitches not great

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Watching on BT in HD when you get a close shot of the pitch it is awful again this year, the goalmouth was quite churned up.
Compared to other PL pitches it is not good.
I was going to mention it during the match but didn't.
I know it has rained a lot but so has it everywhere.
The last thing it needed was watering.
Also I have said since The Amex opened that the pitch has never been as good as the pitches you see at most other grounds.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Watching on BT in HD when you get a close shot of the pitch it is awful again this year, the goalmouth was quite churned up.
Also I have said since The Amex opened that the pitch has never been as good as the pitches you see at most other grounds.

I agree

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
We need to think about this.

If we're going to be FANNYING around trying to play out from the back, the last thing we want are divots

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Seems very heavy and slow to me at the moment.

Must be tactical then, because they thoroughly water the pitch before every game, no matter how much its rained in the preceding hours and days leading up to the match - and despite Southern Water's expensive pitchside advertising asking people not to waste water :lol:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
It doesn’t help with all these knee slide celebrations. Mooy left tractor sized tracks after his goal the other day. :)

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley

Has to be the ground staff. The pitch is relayed every season.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I've always thought the stadium is the wrong way round.

During the winter the pitch probably doesn't see any natural sunlight (not that we've had a lot anyway) due to the height of the west stand and the low sun.

The lower height stand should have been the west stand to allow more sunlight onto the pitch.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
It probably doesn’t help that at least ten blokes run on the pitch at halftime and poke the grass with sticks. In full view of the stewards, too, I might add! I’m amazed nothing’s been done about it.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Must be tactical then, because they thoroughly water the pitch before every game, no matter how much its rained in the preceding hours and days leading up to the match - and despite Southern Water's expensive pitchside advertising asking people not to waste water :lol:

Very important when it has rained non stop for 6 months and they are enforcing water meters anyway.:annoyed:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

During the winter the pitch probably doesn't see any natural sunlight (not that we've had a lot anyway) due to the height of the west stand and the low sun.

The lower height stand should have been the west stand to allow more sunlight onto the pitch.

Won't they have lamps on the pitch when natural sunlight is at a minimum. With advancements in technology I wouldn't have thought that the height of the stands would be too much of an issue.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
It looks bare in a lot of places. Not bad but compared to other premiership pitches not great

I would have thought that the Amex grass would be a lot shorter than other English Premiership pitches. and by football standards would be far superior.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

I agree too.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Most nights driving past you can see the somewhat orange glow of said lamps

And the lamps are in place during the day too. In a previous job I had to go to the Amex occasionally on weekdays and every time I visited during the winter the lamps were out and on the pitch. They're stored in the players' car park on match days.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Has to be the ground staff. The pitch is relayed every season.

No it’s not. It is skimmed off but certainly not relaid. Underneath the surface is a woven mat. Currently there’s two types of pitch in use at the top clubs, one which uses artificial grass along with grass and one that uses a mesh matting, ours is the latter. Arsenal, Spurs, Wembley and many others use the former.

monty uk

Sep 25, 2018

The whole stadium is actually 45 degrees out from the named stands.

West Stand should be called south west
East Stand should be called north east
South Stand should be called south east
North Stand should be called north west

Due south is actually a point at the corner of the south and west stands if you were to stand on the centre spot.

The Goldstone, on the other hand, really was North - South - East - West.

Call me a nerd if you like, but it is fairly clear on satellite views on Google maps.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here