Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Albums 2020

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
The maestro brings us a live album, out tomorrow.

Very nice.

Tripping with Nils Frahm

Nis.jpg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The maestro brings us a live album, out tomorrow.

Very nice.

Tripping with Nils Frahm

View attachment 130997

Bravo. I have very fond memories of him playing a gig, just before Xmas couple of years back, at the location where his studio is. Look forward to listening to this.

thony

Jul 24, 2011
Hollingbury
This may be a bit niche, but I just happened to listen to Josh Groban's new album "Harmony" out of curiosity, and I have to say I'm really impressed. Plenty of very sensitively-performed covers that seem to work really well when you wouldn't expect them to (eg, "Angels", "Shape Of My Heart", "Both Sides Now", "She") - the only one that doesn't quite work for me is "It's Now Or Never".

https://www.joshgroban.com/news/new-album-harmony-out-now-1226786

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This is a favourite of mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzH5RnM2R4g

0:00 Skeler - ID 01 2:40 DEVILISH TRIO - NOSE TO THE GRINDSTONE (Skeler Remix) 5:50 Skeler - ID 03 7:37 Skeler - ID 04 9:45 Skeler - No Limit 11:50 Skeler - ID 06 13:11 Skeler - ID 07 14:48 Skeler - ID 08 17:15 Skeler - ID 09 19:50 Skeler - Dark Vibes 22:35 Skeler - ID 11 24:15 Skeler - ID 12 25:45 Skeler - ID 13 28:14 Skeler - ID 14 30:37 Linkin Park - What I've Done (Skeler Remix) 34:06 Skeler - ID 16 36:38 Rihanna - Umbrella (Skeler Remix) (Ember Island Cover) 40:13 Blue Foundation - Eyes on Fire (Skeler Remix) 43:07 Evenescence - Lithium (Skeler Remix) 47:47 Skeler - ID 20 51:13 Skeler - ID 21 52:58 Skeler - ID 22

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I really like that Sault record. It reminds me of this record in spirit, though nowhere near as out there. I reckon you will dig this if you haven't heard it [MENTION=28490]Machiavelli[/MENTION]

https://standingonthecorner.bandcamp.com/album/red-burns

Will give it a spin. Ta, and good to see you round these parts. Would be grateful for a top ten of 2020 from you. For all sorts of reasons, my familiarity with this year's releases is even poorer than usual.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Been working through the Resident top ten:

1 Working Men's Club -- don't get it; it's like a poor version of W H Lung; they really go for these New Order-ish bands
2 Porridge Radio -- been listening this since its release, it easily makes my top five albums of the year
3 Sink Ya Teeth -- new to me, and cracking bouncy electronic dance music. I still can't work out who the singer's voice reminds me of.
4 Moses Boyd -- been banging his drum for a while; shame I can't bang it like he can
5 BDRM -- quite like this, but it's very Resident (see 1) but a bit more shoegazy
6 still to listen
7 ditto
8 Fontaines DC -- more Dublin swagger
9 haven't heard this, but I'm not over-enamoured with BCC
10 see 6

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
I rarely keep up with any kind of music these days, but thanks to this thread and the excellent taste of Well, is it PoTG? I don't have to as I just listen to what he recommends!

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
3 Sink Ya Teeth -- new to me, and cracking bouncy electronic dance music. I still can't work out who the singer's voice reminds me of.

listened to one of their tracks, reminded me of 'Bad Uncle' from Nathan Barley :shrug:

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Heads up on a lovely EP from the terrific Lanterns On The Lake.

The Realist is a short but sweet work, absolutely lovely.

This review made me chuckle, almost a nostril/Kenco monent.

"However, every song on the EP seems as if it is building to a big euphoric climax, with the soaring violins seeming to foreshadow the cumulative greatness that is surely about to burst through your speakers. Yet, as you reach the final seconds of each track it becomes clear that the greatness you were expecting is nowhere to be found, leaving you with a musical hard-on that just won’t go away."

:clap2:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Possibly my Top 3 so far, but still got a lot of catching up to do....

1. Etuk Ebong - Africa Today

2. Nubya Garcia - Source

3.Ana Roxanne - Because Of A Flower.

P.S. Seems to be a few 'new' jazz fans here now. Not surprising given how healthy the current young UK Jazz scene is. Such fans should check out Etuk Ebong's - Tales Of Life, (Yes, I know he's Naija proper, but it all links up to our UK scene).

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have been trawling the end-of-year lists in search of new (to me) artists and albums and have hit upon these which I thoroughly recommend.

Moses Sumney - Græ.
Beatrice Dillon - Workaround
Tamar Aphek - Russian Winter EP

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here