Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The undropable Dale Stephens

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Was a big Stephens fan and often stuck up for him when he came in for criticism, often using the lazy response of “well Hughton/Potter seem to rate him”. His job is done at the Albion. He has helped consolidate us as a PL team but doesn’t have the pace/speed of thought and decision making to take us further. He’s been a good servant and could play a similar role at a promoted or top 6 Championship team.
My only regret is his behaviour when we got promoted with the threat of a move to Burnley. I thought the timing was out of order although it might have just been his agent/press stiring things up.

Ps. I Won’t for give Knockaert for singing “give him the money” at the promotion celebrations

It was the year before that in 2016 where Dyche made several bids for Stephens, with DS handing in a transfer request. I don’t hold it against a player for wanting to play PL football, he was after all 27, it might’ve been his last opportunity.

Bloom rejected all of that, Stephens immediately put it all behind him, playing magnificently in our promotion season.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
It was the year before that in 2016 where Dyche made several bids for Stephens, with DS handing in a transfer request. I don’t hold it against a player for wanting to play PL football, he was after all 27, it might’ve been his last opportunity.

Bloom rejected all of that, Stephens immediately put it all behind him, playing magnificently in our promotion season.

I bow to your superior memory, but I’m sure I recall clips of Knocky singing “give him the money” and thought it was the night we got promotion. Did Dyche try twice?

Edit - just checked and he didn’t sign a new contract until the summer after we gained promotion

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I bow to your superior memory, but I’m sure I recall clips of Knocky singing “give him the money” and thought it was the night we got promotion. Did Dyche try twice?

Edit - just checked and he didn’t sign a new contract until the summer after we gained promotion

I did have to check. According to the Lancs equivalent of The Argus, Dyche made at least three bids in summer 2016.

Wise move by DS waiting until 2017 for that new contract, whichever club he was at, it was going to be at PL pay levels.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
stephens.jpg

Found this stat when I was looking for Brighton news in Dutch media. Ball recoveries per 90 min. Pretty decent company for this alleged "Championship midfielder".

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
View attachment 125905

Found this stat when I was looking for Brighton news in Dutch media. Ball recoveries per 90 min. Pretty decent company for this alleged "Championship midfielder".

I really like Dale Stephens but then I also liked Barnes. These are the sort of players that unselfishly do the dirty work for the team so they don't get noticed until someone pipes up with "what do they bring to the team?"

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Is there a corresponding stat for ball losses per 90 min...?

:whistle:

Sure, here's the same players but a "dispossessed per 90" top list:

143. Fred - 1.71
185. Paul Pogba - 1.49
225. Pierre Höjbjerg - 1.27
246. Naby Keita - 1.03
265. Wilfried Ndidi - 0.93
282. Jorginho - 0.80
292. Declan Rice - 0.76
304. Jefferson Lerma - 0.68
324. Dale Stephens - 0.66
373. Ruben Neves - 0.33

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Going against the grain here I would like him to stay, as long as he is happy being a squad player. We need a bit of no nonsense grit sometimes and it seems that GP may feel the same given how often he has played him. We will get nowhere being 100% flair meisters

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Sure, here's the same players but a "dispossessed per 90" top list:

143. Fred - 1.71
185. Paul Pogba - 1.49
225. Pierre Höjbjerg - 1.27
246. Naby Keita - 1.03
265. Wilfried Ndidi - 0.93
282. Jorginho - 0.80
292. Declan Rice - 0.76
304. Jefferson Lerma - 0.68