Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The undropable Dale Stephens

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As I saw it Mooy did his thing with a certain amount of freedom and Davy Propper slotted into the Dale Stephens role. I am not convinced of the need for rotation for 3 games in 7 days.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I think it was mainly rotation but Stephens had a very poor game against Sheffield United and Chelsea were similarly physical and cynical. Potter will play horses for courses and isn't afraid to mix it up during the game either. It's very much a squad game at Brighton now and probably only Dunk and Ryan are 100% starters unless injured, ill or suspended.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I think Stephens had two advantages at the beginning of the season.
Firstly he is a senior and proven player, whatever the various grumblings on NSC. That might not hold the weight it did with Hughton but it still holds some weight.
Secondly as GP had said Stephens is an intelligent player. That meant he needed less time to adapt to Potterball™ than others, even if he is not the most naturally suited to the role.
I suspect this will be the last season DS plays the majority of games but I would not be surprised if he plays the majority of available minutes for the remainder of the season.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I far prefer having Bissouma in there than Stephens. Stephens is solid enough but if we want to be pushing on and improving I'd argue we need better in that position to be a top 10 prem side. Bissouma has the potential to be fantastic, was my MOTM against Bournemouth, I'd love to see him cement that spot as his own.

Bissouma has more improvement potential than Stephens clearly. Personally I think Alzate has more potential than both of them, certainly playing in a passing side like this.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Benched for the last two games. Mooy stepping up with MoM performances. Four points bagged including one from a "Top 6" side.

Has Potter's view of Dale changed, GPs view of other alternatives changed or is this just rotation?

Brilliant before his suspension. He was poor on his return against Sheffield United and bad again against Spurs. Bissouma rightfully kept his place against Chelsea but had a stinker so I expect to see Dale back very soon.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Both Bissouma and Alzate had a poor game against Chelsea and the only reason I think for taking Mooy off instead of one of those was possible tiredness but why, he now has 10 days off if GP wants,.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Both Bissouma and Alzate had a poor game against Chelsea and the only reason I think for taking Mooy off instead of one of those was possible tiredness but why, he now has 10 days off if GP wants,.

Alzate was very good 2nd half, 1st half he didn't seem to know what he was doing defensively. Pretty much everyone was poor first half, just some a bit more than others.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

Would have been a bit difficult for Bissouma to come off instead of Mooy seeing as we'd already subbed him off at half time for Connolly. Mooy was clearly tired and having less and less effect on the game, while Alzate was calm and composed on the ball in some very tight spaces in the second half (certainly belying his relative inexperience).

Mooy played the full 90 against Spurs and 84 mins against Bournemouth. The only other players to start all 3 games over the xmas period were Ryan and Burn.

Clearly Potter was trying to maximise usage of the squad in the best interest of the team and to walk away from those 3 games with 4 points when we had to face Spurs away, Bournemouth (who we hadn't beaten for 10 league games) and Chelsea (who we'd never even got a league point off before), shows Potter used the squad perfectly and made the correct tactical decisions when needed. We could have easily walked away with a win against Chelsea, who for all their dominance in the first half really didn't create much and let us back into the game in the second half.

Last edited:

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
3 games 6 days, we have a squad capable of earning points using the whole squad, Stephens is a excellent player and will probably start Saturday along with Schelotto Balogun and perhaps even Bong, we would have a weaker 25 without Stephens in it for sure.

But that's some way from the "first name on the team sheet, the proles don't understand his value to the team" position of many on NSC. I wonder if our reliance on him is waning under Potter.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
If you really think that Mooy replaced Stephens in the same role, and that it is effectively a choice between those players, then clearly your opinion is entirely worthless :shrug:

Harsh. Not sure I said they were related and I don;t think I expressed an opinion. I posited a question.

You're better, and generally nicer, than that comment. Don't become an NSC douche in 2020.

Jul 7, 2003
Some people on here really don't understand how our team works. We generally play some variation on 4-2-2-2 or 3-4-3 where we have a holding midfielder (or two) in front of the defence.

Stephens is a holding midfielder who is generally comfortable on the ball and links the defence to the rest of the midfield and attack. When he is not playing, we always seem to find it harder to break the press being put on the defense from goal kicks etc. He also provides defensive cover as shown in the recent stats that he has more interceptions than anyone else in the team.

Last season especially, the problem was he had nobody to pass to ahead of him so often had to go back - this season, he now has options and his passing is now more forward than not.

Bissouma is a more attacking player but not really suited to the defensive role. Likewise, although listed as a midfielder, Mooy has been playing more in an attacking role so again is not really a Stephens replacement. Propper can play this role and has done so quite well but is better further forward.

At the moment, I still believe Stephens is key to how we play but he isn't getting any younger and we need to find a longer term replacement for that role. Molumby could well be the long term option from what I have seen of him in the u23s - Mac Allister seems to be more of a Gross replacement if he ever gets here.

Sadly, there are always a number of our fans who need someone to moan about and Stephens is one of the current scapegoats along with Montoya.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Playing Bissouma & Propper allows us to utilise a 4-2-3-1 formation where the defence is protected and there are easily 4 attacking players around the box when we break forward. Many other sides operate a similar formation which is great at accommodating a lot of pace and quick movement of the ball

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Would have been a bit difficult for Bissouma to come off instead of Mooy seeing as we'd already subbed him off at half time for Connolly. Mooy was clearly tired and having less and less effect on the game, while Alzate was calm and composed on the ball in some very tight spaces in the second half (certainly belying his relative inexperience).

Mooy played the full 90 against Spurs and 84 mins against Bournemouth. The only other players to start all 3 games over the xmas period were Ryan and Burn.

Clearly Potter was trying to maximise usage of the squad in the best interest of the team and to walk away from those 3 games with 4 points when we had to face Spurs away, Bournemouth (who we hadn't beaten for 10 league games) and Chelsea (who we'd never even got a league point off before), shows Potter used the squad perfectly and made the correct tactical decisions when needed. We could have easily walked away with a win against Chelsea, who for all their dominance in the first half really didn't create much and let us back into the game in the second half.

That was my point I would have taken either Alzate ot Bissouma or both off at half time but having already replaced Burn with Bernardo that may have been risky. I didnt think Alzate improved much in the 2nd half mind he would be better if he could use his left foot to shoot occasionally as he had 2 good chances that he fluffed by having to put them on his right foot. I think that he is getting the benefit of people seeing more about him because they want a youngster to come good, so their view is tainted and they boost up his performances.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The fact that Bissouma got subbed at half-time tells me that Stephens is almost certainly still ahead of him in the pecking order.

It is also fair to say if we do get drawn into a relegation scrap then Stephens has a bit of the fight about him. He's still a very important member of this squad.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Would have been a bit difficult for Bissouma to come off instead of Mooy seeing as we'd already subbed him off at half time for Connolly.

That was my point I would have taken Bissouma off at half time but having already replaced Burn with Bernardo that may have been risky..

wtf :mad:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
That was my point I would have taken either Alzate ot Bissouma or both off at half time but having already replaced Burn with Bernardo that may have been risky. I didnt think Alzate improved much in the 2nd half mind he would be better if he could use his left foot to shoot occasionally as he had 2 good chances that he fluffed by having to put them on his right foot. I think that he is getting the benefit of people seeing more about him because they want a youngster to come good, so their view is tainted and they boost up his performances.

Yes how wrong of us to focus on the positives of a young players performances in his first season as a Premier League player.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here