Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The undropable Dale Stephens

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patreon
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Benched for the last two games. Mooy stepping up with MoM performances. Four points bagged including one from a "Top 6" side.

Has Potter's view of Dale changed, GPs view of other alternatives changed or is this just rotation?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Benched for the last two games. Mooy stepping up with MoM performances. Four points bagged including one from a "Top 6" side.

Has Potter's view of Dale changed, GPs view of other alternatives changed or is this just rotation?

Rotation. Bissouma struggled yesterday as did all of the midfield.

It’s one thing to do it against Bournemouth another against quality opposition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Think we'll have a better view in the run of games in January.

Not sure Biss has really done enough to cement the spot and we're unsure of Stephens has had a knock / illness / whatever.

Don't forget Potter also lines up the team and formation based on who we are playing rather than form. So would not surprise me to see the midfield players constantly changed

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
3 games 6 days, we have a squad capable of earning points using the whole squad, Stephens is a excellent player and will probably start Saturday along with Schelotto Balogun and perhaps even Bong, we would have a weaker 25 without Stephens in it for sure.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If
Stephens is of the team.
and
Ali keeps keeps scoring overhead kicks.
while
Webster matures

It's asking an awful lot of Montoya. :lolol:

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
At this moment Stephens is a far more consistent performer than Bissouma. So Stephens should be brought back in.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green

Let’s hope so points return don’t lie we need improvement if we’ve to b a top ten team which bloom wants

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I assume he wanted to give Propper a go in that position against a better team, because he was very good against Palace and Bournemouth in the Stephens role, and Bissouma looks like he could potentially be an upgrade on Davy further forward.

But as we saw yesterday, sometimes Propper's touch or control let's him down, and that's quite a risk in such a pivotal position. Having someone less expansive but more reliable in the '4' role is probably the way to go - although I don't rule out Potter continuing to try this. If Propper can cut the mistakes out I like this change

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

If you really think that Mooy replaced Stephens in the same role, and that it is effectively a choice between those players, then clearly your opinion is entirely worthless :shrug:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Rotation, I expect - plus experimentation. We've got more (viable) alternatives now, and it's not easy - in fact I reckon it's impossible - to fit in everybody you'd like to see playing in the starting eleven (whenever I try to do it, I always finish up picking 11 or 12 outfielders, plus GK!), so inevitably some have to be left out. I suspect Potter is still trying to work out his strongest team - plus the fact that he seems to select teams partly on the basis of who we're playing.

I'm sure Dale Stephens' career at Brighton is far from over, but inevitably the time will come - for him and every other player (and manager!) - when there's a parting of the ways. Not yet though!

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Dale was undroppable through the autumn. I don't think he is now. I have a sneaking suspicion that we will see less and less of him in the side. This isn't based on any dislike of him. He's a terrific player. It's more based on the intensity of competition for midfield places. I think Mooy and Propper are currently in every line up we put out (minus xmas rotation or FA Cup). Stephens is then vulnerable to the increasingly strong claims of Bissouma and Alzate. I haven't ruled out seeing Gross play some football in a central midfield position now that he seems to have been edged out further forward.

The Everton away line up will tell us a lot. I was saying on another thread, I don't see us making 5 changes here, 7 changes there, going forward. I think more like 1 or 2 changes per game now. If you're in to play Everton you've a great chance to play most of the rest of the season.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

I am pretty sure its one of rotation, assessment of the opposition, resting, rewarding players for performances etc etc. Not sure that any selection/benching of "regular" players from GP is an indicator of anything. He seems willing (and able) to instill belief in the players to take on different roles as the situation demands - Alzate, Propper have played at right-back - Alzate at Spurs! DS will play plenty of games in central midfield, as will Mooy, Bissouma, Propper, Gross, Alzate. The pleasing thing is that so far, it appears that whoever plays does not noticeably weaken us.. that's a brilliant situation for us to be in and one that not many of our peers have necessarily.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Our passing has not been perfect recently. Balls knocked into areas where a player should be.
Would a team playing together more often learn where their mates will be.

OvingdeanSeagull

Jul 8, 2012
Ovingdean
I far prefer having Bissouma in there than Stephens. Stephens is solid enough but if we want to be pushing on and improving I'd argue we need better in that position to be a top 10 prem side. Bissouma has the potential to be fantastic, was my MOTM against Bournemouth, I'd love to see him cement that spot as his own.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I far prefer having Bissouma in there than Stephens. Stephens is solid enough but if we want to be pushing on and improving I'd argue we need better in that position to be a top 10 prem side. Bissouma has the potential to be fantastic, was my MOTM against Bournemouth, I'd love to see him cement that spot as his own.

Very much this, in order to become a top 10 side we will need to improve a number of our starting players. Some are young enough and talented enough to make the improvements via coaching but others will need to be replaced via new personnel. Stephens does a great job but Potter must be looking for alternatives to move us forward

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Don't think it was just rotation.

Can't remember the last Stephens was not in the starting 11 when fit. And he hasn't played in the last 2 games. Was awful v Spurs as well.

Think GP may be moving on....

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
For me, our transition through the midfield has been far quicker since Stephens got dropped. If Potter the Genius wants us to play speedy attacking "pass and move" type football then Stephens wouldn't seem to fit.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here