Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

3 arrests yesterday

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
The abuse was clearly hearable on tv for a period of about 5 minutes in the second half.Both Rudiger and James had monkey sounds aimed at them while on the ball.Difficult to say where from,but WSL was on camera.

I watched on T.V. I didn't hear any monkey noises. Reese James was booed everytime he got the ball but that was all I heard.

Roughly when in the second half did this happen? I've got DAZN so can go back and watch a replay. Maybe I missed it or you were mistaken?

monty uk

Sep 25, 2018
Will do mate .. however i'm still sceptical

The audio for football on TV blatantly doesn't come from pitchside. It comes from the camera gantry, which is at the front of WSU.

Not quite correct - there were several pitchside mics - at the corner flags, behind the goals and along the east and west touchlines - all visible on photos. However, they are likely to be unidirectional - facing onto the pitch to catch the players' grunts, ball contacts and Dan Burns shriek of pain, so highly unlikely to pick up much of the crowd behind. There are dozens of cameras and microphones around the ground - so most things will be picked up. However one or two people would not be heard, which is why you don't usually hear individual voices on televised matches but rather the general hubbub and largely incoherent chanting.

I was at the front of WSU at the half way line and heard no monkeys below. Lots of well-deserved booing for James though. TV production crews would also switch out crowd facing microphones if they heard anything like that - as the do when the bleep out naughty words before 9:00pm.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Definitely and that’s a good thing. I wonder if aggressive types, have been punished for exactly that?

But 'withheld' phone numbers. Surely it would take the police a lot of time and resources to finally get the abuser?

It must be an hourly occurrence at Selhurst Park main office.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I must admit I did wonder if all of the booing whenever James had the ball might have been misinterpreted/misheard

The abuse was clearly hearable on tv for a period of about 5 minutes in the second half.Both Rudiger and James had monkey sounds aimed at them while on the ball.Difficult to say where from,but WSL was on camera.

I rest my case

And, WSL is never on camera except for short reply sections

Last edited:

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
But 'withheld' phone numbers. Surely it would take the police a lot of time and resources to finally get the abuser?

Usually if you ring up they ask for your name and fan number so they can have your details handy.

I suppose if you rang them from a call box (if you can find one) and just shouted abuse then there's nothing they can do.

Weststander

Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

But isn’t the average Joe ringing with their fan number about a specific query? Giving the club all they need to know, if the idiot turns abusive.

Would be surprised if Smellhurst had phones. BT and the others refuse to deal with them, after one of CP’s insolvencies left them all with bad debts.

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I watched on T.V. I didn't hear any monkey noises. Reese James was booed everytime he got the ball but that was all I heard.

Roughly when in the second half did this happen? I've got DAZN so can go back and watch a replay. Maybe I missed it or you were mistaken?

I watched on tv, as many other millions did. I, and seemingly no one else, has heard this. And I’m certain if there was racist comments or chanting it would be in the press by now.

Something to remember: [MENTION=14132]Two Professors[/MENTION] has lied about things in the past, and has continued to lie in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary. Maybe he wanted to hear this? Either way, I believe this to be another example of his psychosis.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

You're quite elderly aren't you. Probably time for that hearing test at the quacks. HTH.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I watched on tv, as many other millions did. I, and seemingly no one else, has heard this. And I’m certain if there was racist comments or chanting it would be in the press by now.

Something to remember: [MENTION=14132]Two Professors[/MENTION] has lied about things in the past, and has continued to lie in the face of overworking evidence to the contrary. Maybe he wanted to hear this? Either way, I believe this to be another example of his psychosis.

Yes, I'm aware that it is 99.99% likely to be untrue. I just wanted to give him the opportunity to at least show what he thought he heard. If he offers nothing then we can safely say that it's made up. If he offers a time frame we can at least check it and confirm he misheard or in the unlikely event that it's true hear the abuse.

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes, I'm aware that it is 99.99% likely to be untrue. I just wanted to give him the opportunity to at least show what he thought he heard. If he offers nothing then we can safely say that it's made up. If he offers a time frame we can at least check it and confirm he misheard or in the unlikely event that it's true hear the abuse.

I totally understand. :thumbsup:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

Something to remember: [MENTION=14132]Two Professors[/MENTION] has lied about things in the past, and has continued to lie in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary. Maybe he wanted to hear this? Either way, I believe this to be another example of his psychosis.

Much more likely to be some sort of attention need thing

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
Apr 5, 2014
Liberal snowflakes of the world unite , are you offended ?
Regards
DF

It doesn't affect you. You don't go.

But you have a problem. Only a small number of folk don't think that going to football, getting behind your team, and have a non-toxic atmosphere isn't a good recipe for an enjoyable time.

What actually upsets you ? Why do you find it so hard to exist without the need to fill your veins with tribal or discriminate hatred. Most people can cope without it. Some even embraced it once. I'm sure when I was younger I did. But, hey, going to a match without it is so much better.

I can just concentrate on supporting my team.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
There are microphones pointing at the stands which will pick up chants but not very clearly.
Brighton were investigated for racial abuse of a Welsh player when we played Cardiff one evening in 2011 shortly after we moved into the Amex. A viewer (just one) complained he heard sheep *botherers* which was actually Seasiders when it was investigated.

Admit it, 2P, you just made it up.

CheeseRolls

Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Wonder where the dividing line actually is between ‘unacceptable abuse’ and banter? And what makes the former an arrestable offence?

Why do you wonder? For what possible purpose would you need to know where the line is drawn, just so that you can push things so far and yet not cross the line?

When are you planning a half way round the world return trip and can you not think of a better reason to come back? What would motivate you to attend a football match, let out some audible homophobic/rascist banter that is just enough to irritate people nearby, but not enough to get arrested and then fly back home.

One of the most pointless and ineffective responses in an argument is "if you don't like it here, why don't you f.off and live somewhere else" Just occasionally you have to be grateful to someone who kept hammering that one home.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

If that really was true it would have been in the news yesterday, I suspect that is probably what you wanted to hear or you are confusing the Chelsea fans Zouma chant.

As the game was live can you put up an audio file or video to prove your lunatic theory.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011

You'll have to wait whilst he tries to remember the password of the second account that definitely isn't him despite having exactly the same grammatical errors.

I am now off to Hearable to download some audiobooks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here