Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Rail fares rise by 2.7%, hitting millions of commuters

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Gotta keep generating more money to pay dividends to the shareholders, and cross-subsidise train companies in other European countries, so that the Germans, the French and the Dutch can enjoy much cheaper train travel.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/british-taxpayers-subsidising-european-train-9556521 - from 2017, but the situation has not changed.

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/n...jwKejRKnudXs-EpAJv9dJjcHe0gFwxK8kl1tOVqyKrguI

We really are mugs in this country - we talk about 'taking back control', but have allowed other countries to take-over many of our railway companies, and charge rip-off prices. And British governments (of all parties) have casually allowed this to happen.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Announced couple months back , people moaned and ...... did nothing and took it

Same as every year

Wouldnt happen in France

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Gotta keep generating more money to pay dividends to the shareholders, and cross-subsidise train companies in other European countries, so that the Germans, the French and the Dutch can enjoy much cheaper train travel.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/british-taxpayers-subsidising-european-train-9556521 - from 2017, but the situation has not changed.

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/n...jwKejRKnudXs-EpAJv9dJjcHe0gFwxK8kl1tOVqyKrguI

We really are mugs in this country - we talk about 'taking back control', but have allowed other countries to take-over many of our railway companies, and charge rip-off prices. And British governments (of all parties) have casually allowed this to happen.

We just had the chance to vote for nationalisation. Maybe then we could have looked at rail system the same way as Germany do, as a societal and environmental need. We chose not to go down that route. The great majority of those in the south east have no right now to moan about this and future fare increases

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
We just had the chance to vote for nationalisation. Maybe then we could have looked at rail system the same way as Germany do, as a societal and environmental need. We chose not to go down that route. The great majority of those in the south east have no right now to moan about this and future fare increases

But apparently that would be Communist, and would turn us into North Korea or Venezuela :mad:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
But apparently that would be Communist, and would turn us into North Korea or Venezuela :mad:

Quite. I hope all the idiots in Stoke, Yorkshire, Blyth and Sheffield etc reflect on their vote when they’re paying extra for the public transport to the job centre.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Quite. I hope all the idiots in Stoke, Yorkshire, Blyth and Sheffield etc reflect on their vote when they’re paying extra for the public transport to the job centre.

You're crediting them with an improbable level of self-awareness. They'll blame who they are told to blame. The EU, the BBC, the fella who had an affair with Princess Di. Anyone. It won't be themselves.

I'm absolutely not denying being a bitter, condescending remoaner by the way

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin

i was about to post these myself.

UK commuters subsidise EU commuters. That's the tragedy.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
We will will always be screwed, the rail system will not change, vested interests are making too much money.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I don’t want more people travelling by train. I want peace, quiet and a double seat to myself when travelling to work [emoji23][emoji23]

That was precisely my view when I was a train commuter! Jammed into carriages in conditions that would be illegal if we were cattle I used to think that the last thing we needed to do was to encourage more people to use public transport. "Piss off we're full! Use your car instead!" I'd think when even more people would attempt to ram themselves in.

And in my latter rail years, before I started driving/bussing to work, even if the train was (relatively) empty the journey could still be uncomfortable if you had the misfortune to be in a new carriage with ironing-board seats.

Pretty Plnk Fairy

NSC Patron
Jan 30, 2008
time too take back control we invented the hovercraft so should use that instead of trains to keep the profits in the uk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What am I supposed to do?

Not pay it? Refuse to go to work in protest?

As [MENTION=365]Napper[/MENTION] said, it wouldn’t happen in France. So copy them! Any change which disadvantages the public they immediately bring the nation to a grinding, and usually successful, halt....as they are doing now.

The shoddy U.K. rail service would absolutely not be tolerated in France.

paul-brighton

Jun 12, 2011
Sompting
And in my latter rail years, before I started driving/bussing to work, even if the train was (relatively) empty the journey could still be uncomfortable if you had the misfortune to be in a new carriage with ironing-board seats.

Ah! The famous Thameslink seats (and the wind blowing all the way down a 12 coach train. I loved these when they first started running them from Lancing to Croydon. 2 weeks of those seats and I will only travel on a Southern train now.

D

Deleted member 22389

France, Italy, Germany, Spain has lots of space to build new high speed lines. We have to make do with existing lines which costs hundreds of millions to maintain.

As an example, I hadn't been to Naples for at least 10 years. When I went last Summer they had built a new station and high speed line all the way to Rome and beyond to Milan which serves the Freccia Rossa.

By the time we do get a proper high speed line serving the whole country, like we have from the channel tunnel to London, train technology would have moved on.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
France, Italy, Germany, Spain has lots of space to build new high speed lines. We have to make do with existing lines which costs hundreds of millions to maintain.

As an example, I hadn't been to Naples for at least 10 years. When I went last Summer they had built a new station and high speed line all the way to Rome and beyond to Milan which serves the Freccia Rossa.

By the time we do get a proper high speed line serving the whole country, like we have from the channel tunnel to London, train technology would have moved on.

Being a c2c customer, I help to pay for that. So pleased they get to enjoy it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here