Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Drop Ball

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
BT Sport mentioned some sort of new rule that means it had to be uncontested. Maupay did contest it, and was booked as a result.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
BT Sport mentioned some sort of new rule that means it had to be uncontested. Maupay did contest it, and was booked as a result.

When was this rule implemented? i always thought this was a gentlemanly thing to not contest it when it was put out for injury ect, this was for a burst ball. seems strange for the ref to decide it was to be uncontested. Even then Maupay allows the them to touch it first before he becomes competitive, weird decision by the ref in my opinion.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And was told about 3 times by the ref not to contest it !!!

But having just looked up the laws, the referee has no power to do this. If both players agree, it’s fine. But Maupay clearly hadn’t agreed.

“The wording makes it clear that the referee has no authority to decide who can challenge for a dropped ball and/or where the dropped ball is to be kicked.
If, for ‘fair play’ reasons, the players agree who will kick the ball and where they will kick it, the referee can agree but it must come from the players – it can not be an instruction from the referee as the referee has no authority to do so as a dropped ball is a ‘neutral’ restart which is supposed to be ‘fair’ for both teams.”

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules...l-11-11/law-8---the-start-and-restart-of-play

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Maupay was arguing before the drop, i think he was expecting a free kick and saw a uncontested drop as effective free kick to them.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Was a very weird situation and if the new rule is that it must be uncontested, you can just have the ref drop the ball and just not touch it until the game ends. Not likely to happen but it's a flawed rule.

Impressive how the ref had no hard decisions to do, made no major errors and yet everyone on the pitch seemed to despise him.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
But having just looked up the laws, the referee has no power to do this. If both players agree, it’s fine. But Maupay clearly hadn’t agreed.

“The wording makes it clear that the referee has no authority to decide who can challenge for a dropped ball and/or where the dropped ball is to be kicked.
If, for ‘fair play’ reasons, the players agree who will kick the ball and where they will kick it, the referee can agree but it must come from the players – it can not be an instruction from the referee as the referee has no authority to do so as a dropped ball is a ‘neutral’ restart which is supposed to be ‘fair’ for both teams.”

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules...l-11-11/law-8---the-start-and-restart-of-play

Suspect that may not be current. From - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48382254

Drop balls can no longer be contested, but the change is more positive than it sounds.

If play is stopped, the ball will be dropped to a player on the team that last touched the ball - and where they touched it. All other players must be 4.5 yards (4m) away.

What that means is if a team's attack is stopped, they will get the ball back in that position - instead of the opponents booting the ball down the field.

However, any play stopped in a penalty area will be returned to the goalkeeper, even if the attacking team had the ball.

Another big change now sees a drop ball awarded if the ball hits the referee and goes to the other team as a result, or if the referee accidentally scores a goal (as happened in the Dutch fourth division a week before the law change).​

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
When was this rule implemented? i always thought this was a gentlemanly thing to not contest it when it was put out for injury ect, this was for a burst ball. seems strange for the ref to decide it was to be uncontested. Even then Maupay allows the them to touch it first before he becomes competitive, weird decision by the ref in my opinion.

New rule for this season. Below is taken from BBC website.

Drop balls

Drop balls can no longer be contested, but the change is more positive than it sounds.

If play is stopped, the ball will be dropped to a player on the team that last touched the ball - and where they touched it. All other players must be 4.5 yards (4m) away.

What that means is if a team's attack is stopped, they will get the ball back in that position - instead of the opponents booting the ball down the field.

However, any play stopped in a penalty area will be returned to the goalkeeper, even if the attacking team had the ball.

Another big change now sees a drop ball awarded if the ball hits the referee and goes to the other team as a result, or if the referee accidentally scores a goal

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
All the above is nonsense. It was made clear at the start of the season that if the referee stops the game, that it will resume uncontested with the team in possession of the ball restarting with the ball in the position that they were in when the game was stopped

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Suspect that may not be current. From - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48382254

Another big change now sees a drop ball awarded if the ball hits the referee and goes to the other team as a result, or if the referee accidentally scores a goal (as happened in the Dutch fourth division a week before the law change).​

The FA link I provided clearly states “IFAB Laws of the Game 2019-20” at the top of the page? But the BBC link is rather detailed and specific ie it doesn’t seem to be a misinterpretation , I wonder what the source was? I’m confused.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

So it's not really a drop ball it is literally and actually a free kick.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Maupay was arguing before the drop, i think he was expecting a free kick and saw a uncontested drop as effective free kick to them.

Maupay arguing - are you sure. :lol:

What is it with us a chippy forwards at the moment, I whole heartedly approve.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The FA link I provided clearly states “IFAB Laws of the Game 2019-20” at the top of the page? But the BBC link is rather detailed and specific ie it doesn’t seem to be a misinterpretation , I wonder what the source was? I’m confused.

The BBC article links to this IFAB document: http://static-3eb8.kxcdn.com/documents/786/111531_110319_IFAB_LoG_at_a_Glance.pdf

This is part of it:

Screenshot 2020-01-01 at 15.47.34.png

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As an aside, the FA law website also states arms and hands cannot be considered for offsides.....but they are. The FA website seems to we woefully out of synch with the game.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
As an aside, the FA law website also states arms and hands cannot be considered for offsides.....but they are. The FA website seems to we woefully out of synch with the game.

They can't, can they?

Recent VAR offside rulings have largely involved armpits/shoulders, ie the edge of the torso.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
So it's not really a drop ball it is literally and actually a free kick.

Not quite. The opposing player only has to be 4.5 yards away (not 10), and the player who receives the ball from the ref can touch it more than once, and dribble it away if he wishes.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Are they? I've not seen any. The ones over the weekend were armpits, the inside of which is the side of your torso, not your arm. I know because there are have been flailing arms in the pictures some people looking at them have claimed arms were what was judged, but the lines in the VAR pictures I saw weren't at arms or hands.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
They can't, can they?

Recent VAR offside rulings have largely involved armpits/shoulders, ie the edge of the torso.

I thought Burn’s disallowed goal was incorrectly due to his upper arm? In the thread about this I think someone gave another example of an arm being used as well. My memory is a bit sketchy on this though. I guess it could come down to where one believes the arm ends and the shoulder begins.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here