Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Potter On VAR

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
This is a slightly strange line though:

"Potter, while broadly supportive of VAR, gave his view on the new offside rules. "

There aren't new offside rules, which is likely the problem here.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
So he's broadly saying what a lot of us have been saying for years, that....football is a game of swings and roundabouts.

I've personally always been happy with swings and roundabouts and never wanted VAR in the first place.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
He’s also alluded to what I have said on here several times, the natural extension to VAR is to do away with match day officials and have it all done remotely, although I never thought of using drones, that’s a cracking idea...

D

Deleted member 2719

Since the introduction on VAR, people like Glenn, who plays so tight on the shoulder of defenders were always going to struggle with it IMO. I think this is one of the significant decisions why Potter felt Glenn would not be playing much game time this season.
To beat VAR, you need pace, either running through defences or to beat slower defenders while onside.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
VAR AS a technology is not bad it's the way it has been implemented. Referee on the pitch needs to make the decision and do it quickly 15 secs max.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
This is a slightly strange line though:

"Potter, while broadly supportive of VAR, gave his view on the new offside rules. "

There aren't new offside rules, which is likely the problem here.

I think GraPott doesn't like the operating procedure where the lino doesn't signal the offside and let's the play follow through so that if VAR decides there was no offside the goal is allowed to happen.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Whilst the ref was a little patchy . . .there is no doubt todays game was good and flowed because there was NO intervention by VAR.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I think GraPott doesn't like the operating procedure where the lino doesn't signal the offside and let's the play follow through so that if VAR decides there was no offside the goal is allowed to happen.

That's not what happens though. It is how linesman have been instructed to flag in internationals/champions league etc but for some reason our officials flag when a player is offside and am surprised you haven't noticed this. Where they are not flagging is for these marginal decisions which VAR are getting involved in and for which no one would expect a linesman to flag for anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here