Date: Wednesday 1st January 2020
Kick-off: 12:30 GMT
Referee: Stuart Attwell
Assistants: Lee Betts, Adam Nunn
Fourth official: Gavin Ward
VAR: David Coote
Assistant VAR: Andrew Halliday

TEAM NEWS

Brighton head coach Graham Potter has reported no new fitness concerns.

Wingers Solly March and Jose Izquierdo remain unavailable because of injuries.

Chelsea will monitor Cesar Azpilicueta, who has been playing despite a minor problem, while fellow defenders Marcos Alonso and Reece James are not expected to be fit for this game.

Winger Christian Pulisic says he is "100% healthy" despite missing the win at Arsenal amid reports of a minor muscle injury.

MOTD COMMENTATOR'S NOTES

Simon Brotherton: This is a fixture without a rich history but certainly one dominated by Chelsea, who enjoy a 100% success rate after winning all nine previous league encounters. Brighton's only victory in a competitive match was in the third round of the FA Cup way back in 1933.

A tough start to 2020 then for Graham Potter's team against opponents who've won seven of their last nine on the road in the Premier League.

Chelsea's latest away win saw them overcome a rough start at Arsenal on Sunday. A tactical tweak and subsequent impressive second-half performance led to their first come-from-behind win all season, while Albion saw off Bournemouth at home for their first victory in five.

WHAT THE MANAGERS SAY

Graham Potter: "I can't comment on any change in mentality against certain opposition from previous times because I wasn't here, but we try to go into every game with a mentality and belief that we can get something.

"The top six sides in this league are at a different level - historically that's a fact. But you should never go onto a pitch thinking you've got no chance.

"We have to understand that Chelsea will come with a good side. They're a top team who are in the Champions League so that's the challenge facing us."

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• [*=left]Chelsea have won all nine of their league meetings with Brighton - the best such 100% record in English league history.
    [*=left]Brighton's only competitive win against Chelsea came in an FA Cup third-round game in 1933.
    [*=left]The Seagulls have lost 11 and drawn one of the 12 subsequent meetings.
Albion

• [*=left]Albion's solitary defeat over the past decade in their opening league game of the year came against Wolves on New Year's Day in 2016 (W6, D3).
    [*=left]However, Brighton have never won a Premier League match in January, losing five and drawing three of eight matches.
    [*=left]They have have had 11 different goalscorers in the Premier league this season (excluding own goals) - only Liverpool and Leicester boast higher figures: 16 and 12 respectively.
    [*=left]The Seagulls could keep successive Premier League clean sheets for the first time since a run of three in October 2018.
    [*=left]Neal Maupay has been directly involved in more Premier League goals this season than any other Brighton player, scoring seven and assisting one.
Chelsea

• [*=left]Chelsea have won seven of their past nine league away games.
    [*=left]The Blues have claimed 21 points on their travels this season, a total bettered only by Liverpool's 25.
    [*=left]Defeat would be Chelsea's eighth of the season, equalling their final league total last season under Maurizio Sarri.
    [*=left]More than two-thirds of their league goals this season have come away from home, while 60% of their points have been earned on the road.
    [*=left]Tammy Abraham's 12 Premier League goals have been worth 12 points to his side, a joint-league high in the current campaign.
    [*=left]Eight of Abraham's goals have been scored away - he can become the first Englishman to score nine top-flight away goals for Chelsea in a season since Kerry Dixon in 1989-90.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Got a feeling we may finally get something from Chelsea so going for 1-1

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
So excited

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I propose that we score some goals, while simultaneously working to prevent our opponents from doing the same.

Who is with me?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
And the first goal of the decade was a bit blurry .....

Or was that mist?

Leegull

Apr 7, 2016
We have never won a PL match in January (W0 D3 L5)
We have never beaten Chelsea in a league match (W0 D0 L9 F2 A19) that’s the best winning record in English football league history (source SSN)

Surely these stats both point to 2-1 victory for the good guys today :albion2:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Expect some yellow cards today for both sides with this ref. When is ort was the cut off date for 5 yellows and a 1 game ban?. Perhaps if any player is on 4 they should kick the ball away in the 89th minute to get their 5th and possibly miss the cup game rather than a league one. Obviously if the date has passed that doesn't come into the reckoning.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Best thing about today is leaving home at the usual time.
Then being so early I can stuff my fat little face with bacon and egg McMuffins TM.

:thumbsup:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Wonder how many no shows there will be

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Wonder how many no shows there will be

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Wouldn’t blame anyone not showing up today. As usual the armchair fan has been preferred to those who actually go by the Premier League. Three 12.30s in a row is taking the mick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Wouldn’t blame anyone not showing up today. As usual the armchair fan has been preferred to those who actually go by the Premier League. Three 12.30s in a row is taking the mick

He who pays the piper calls the tune,unfortunately

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

Remember quite a few early NY kick offs in the lower leagues :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here