Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] BDO Darts

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Is the end nigh for the PDC's grass roots cousin?

They've moved their World Championship to Indigo@O2, bit have only sold 15% of the available tickets, leading to a cut in the prize money on offer (a 50% cut according to some reports).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/darts/50952382

Also, Fallon Sherrock has pulled out of their Women's competition for "various reasons" which may well include the aforementioned cut but which won't do them any good given her increased profile after her run in the PDC.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/darts/50955916

Is the writing on the wall?

Yoda

English & European
Is the end nigh for the PDC's grass roots cousin?

They've moved their World Championship to Indigo@O2, bit have only sold 15% of the available tickets, leading to a cut in the prize money on offer (a 50% cut according to some reports).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/darts/50952382

Also, Fallon Sherrock has pulled out of their Women's competition for "various reasons" which may well include the aforementioned cut but which won't do them any good given her increased profile after her run in the PDC.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/darts/50955916

Is the writing on the wall?

Listening to a few people interviewed in the loop, this is the outcome of at least the last two years worth of mis-management. https://www.live-darts.com/bdo-darts-news/bdo-hit-rock-bottom-darryl-fitton/

The fact the World Darts Federation are not even recognising the BDO World Championships as a major title this years tells you all you need to know.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
The writing has been on the wall for the last 10+ years. Definitely the ‘Championship’ of the darting world.

Pudos

Aug 18, 2015
Find it pretty sad, wasn't going this year myself anyhow but in years gone bye enjoyed it. Most who went just enjoyed the darts rather than fancy dress. Like all sports now, money talks. Can't afford Sky so watching days are over.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
It needs some fresh eyes to come in and re-vamp it all a little bit. Make the tour more accessible and better advertised. The PDC have basically abandoned Brighton but I'm sure it wouldn't be overly difficult to get a BDO tournament on in town at a smaller venue. They need to hold the Worlds at a more appropriate venue and rebuild the reputation, the interest and the commercial appeal. Darts as a sport is getting bigger, but the BDO is getting smaller. Horrific mismanagement.

As for Fallon, I think she's dropped a massive clanger - she should do an Alex Scott and get herself EVERYWHERE on the TV while the interest is there. She'd have been the face of the whole tournament had she been playing, but pulling out denies her that free coverage and PR boost. I hope it's not a hint of arrogance but it would be understandable if it was.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I hope Fallons reason for pulling out isn't just money. Where would she be without the BDO? She owes it to them to at least play this year.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I hope Fallons reason for pulling out isn't just money. Where would she be without the BDO? She owes it to them to at least play this year.

Or, has she bottled it? The bar is so high for her now that she'd need to win it, which she's never done. Maybe she/advisers thought she was better off not playing it because a) they cut the prize money anyway, b) all she can do is hurt her reputation/popularity, c) chase the PDC dollar and to hell with everyone else!

Who knows. Personally, I think it's a gaffe. She should have struck while the iron was hot, but there is a chance she could get rumbled early on and go out embarrassingly, ending the fairytale. Her average during the Worlds would comfortably have been enough to get through the Women's BDO though.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Personally I’d love to see the dark destroyer Deta Hedman win the Women’s BDO after so many years of hurt at the Lakeside.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
This year will be a complete car crash, but ironically by hitting rock bottom the BDO will be saved.

Barry Hearn, having previously offered to buy the BDO a few years ago, will take it on in the next few months and then run both pro and amateur darts in the UK, he will effectively turn the BDO annual championships into the PDC Q school, with a mass competition culminating in the last 64 playing out a week's tournament either back at Lakeside or at the Circus Tavern, with the last 8 all getting 12 month PDC Tour cards, and the Champion and Runner Up getting spots at the Grand Slam of Darts.

And I'd imagine Hearn will also get the BDO comp back on terrestrial TV, either the Beeb or ITV4.

Yoda

English & European
This year will be a complete car crash, but ironically by hitting rock bottom the BDO will be saved.

Barry Hearn, having previously offered to buy the BDO a few years ago, will take it on in the next few months and then run both pro and amateur darts in the UK, he will effectively turn the BDO annual championships into the PDC Q school, with a mass competition culminating in the last 64 playing out a week's tournament either back at Lakeside or at the Circus Tavern, with the last 8 all getting 12 month PDC Tour cards, and the Champion and Runner Up getting spots at the Grand Slam of Darts.

And I'd imagine Hearn will also get the BDO comp back on terrestrial TV, either the Beeb or ITV4.

I don't think he will. He offered £2,000,000 only a couple of years ago to take over but they turned him down.

I can see him taking the Women's game through into the PDC though, having both same sex and mixed tournaments for those good enough to qualify for them.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
So if the Indigo holds 2,350 and they've sold 15% of tickets that's an average of c 350 per session people rattling around the venue. Obviously, the Lakeside regulars have voted with their feet.

I've been two or three times to the Lakeside and remember the coaches of Welsh fans from in attendance. With 4 Welshmen in the BDO top 10 and the Lakeside a mere two and a half hours away by coach you would have thought it would make sense to have kept the competition there. I guess the chairman gambled on the bigger venue generating more much needed cash but this is the arrogance of the BDO all over when they fail to see the BDO World Championships IS all about a day out at the Lakeside.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS

I'd like to see this, it's a real shame what has happened to the BDO.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

The demise of the BDO has been 20-odd years in the making. There have been so many nails in the BDO coffin the hammer's worn itself out (but then you'd know more about that than me).

It's great news Hearn is willing and ready to subsume the BDO into the PDC, and what would put the cherry on the cake is if he could persuade The Power to come into the commentary box, I really miss the guy.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The demise of the BDO has been 20-odd years in the making. There have been so many nails in the BDO coffin the hammer's worn itself out (but then you'd know more about that than me).

It's great news Hearn is willing and ready to subsume the BDO into the PDC, and what would put the cherry on the cake is if he could persuade The Power to come into the commentary box, I really miss the guy.

Agreed - completely failed to move with the times

As regards The Power, he's already considering coming out of retirement for 2020

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...omeback-pdc-world-championships-a9268036.html

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
We all know the BDO has been falling behind for years, but they definitely appear to be hitting new lows. To be honest when they stopped the practice of withdrawing the prize money from their world champs who defected and allowed players to attend PDC qualifying school I think most people thought the PDC would take them over/merge. I'm surprised it hasn't happened, and I can't believe they BDO just keep sinking further and further without recognising enough is enough. Darts is crying out for a unified organisation , everyone and his mate can see that, it just beggars belief that no one at the BDO can.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here