Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Lineup for the match against Chelsea 010120

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Second guessing GP’s starting eleven is always a tad hard..but this time you could add in the centre back pairing of Dunk/Duffy or Dunk/Webster? ...then we have midfield..does he keep the same three or does Dale come back in? Then the front three.. Ali made his mark at last ..harsh to drop him? Etc etc

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Chelseaprogramme_4311e.jpg

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have a horrible feeling that he will bring Webster back as he paid a lot of money for him so has to play him to justify his spending. I am not sure whether he will bring Stephens back as Mooy Propper and Bissouma did well together v Bournemouth

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I have a horrible feeling that he will bring Webster back as he paid a lot of money for him so has to play him to justify his spending. I am not sure whether he will bring Stephens back as Mooy Propper and Bissouma did well together v Bournemouth

So important that he keeps that midfield triumverate together l think, between them they ran the show against Bournemouth. Dale Stephens, who l do like by the way, probably needs a bit of a rest, and he can have a run out at the weekend in the cup. I'd keep faith with Shane Duffy as well, he didn't do much wrong in our last game, and l've a feeling he and Dunky enjoy playing together too.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Ryan

Montoya
Dunk
Duffy
Burn

Pröpper

Groß
Bissouma
Mooy

Maupay
Trossard

Subs: Button, Webster, Alzate, Stephens, Jahanbakhsh, Connolly, Murray

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I'd keep the same line up.

Agree mate

I wouldn't change that either.

I'm sure adjustments to the line up will be made to counter the specific threats from Chelsea though

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
It wont be because he is a better defender than Duffy because he isnt also playing Duffy releases Dunk from covering Webster.

He’s not a better out and out defender but he suits what we do a lot more. Duffy wasn’t exactly perfect v Bournemouth and got away with a couple of mistakes. Tough call tbh.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Webster is said to be good on the ball but generally I haven't seen that as he takes an age and too many steps to get the ball under control. The only aspect of his play that he beats Duffy for is speed.

Eddie Bee

Feb 3, 2009
Shoreham by Sea
I think Potter will switch again, mainly for his "resting" policy. Bissouma did well, but I would not be suprised if it went something like this:

Ryan
Scheletto-Dunk-Duffy-Webster-Bernardo
Stephens
Propper-Mooy
Trossard- Connolly

But then again...I'm sure Potter will suprise everyone and keep it the same.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Webster is said to be good on the ball but generally I haven't seen that as he takes an age and too many steps to get the ball under control. The only aspect of his play that he beats Duffy for is speed.

And goal scoring? Regardless of our difference in opinion - I think Webster is light years ahead of Duffy with ball at his feet - I believe Potter knows there is a high quality player there who needs games at the highest level to get experience and improve, and when he does he will be better all round than Duffy. Maybe playing Duffy would get us a couple of extra points in this season, we can debate that, but playing Webster could get us a star for many seasons to come

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
And goal scoring? Regardless of our difference in opinion - I think Webster is light years ahead of Duffy with ball at his feet - I believe Potter knows there is a high quality player there who needs games at the highest level to get experience and improve, and when he does he will be better all round than Duffy. Maybe playing Duffy would get us a couple of extra points in this season, we can debate that, but playing Webster could get us a star for many seasons to come

Those extra couple of points could make all the difference though.

We all feel ok because we won the last game, but 2 or 3 losses will soon have us feeling a bit queasy. We do plenty as a club to look after the future. Let's do what we have to do to look after the here and now

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

@BG has moved on from Kayal to Webster as his target...........

We learned nothing from Duffy being back v Bournemouth - he got lucky with a couple of big mistakes in the first half, we was outstanding in the air as always and he shanked a couple of passes. Webster's defending bothers me but he and Duffy seem to make about the same number of mistakes per game. Webster is much better with the ball at his feet, Duffy in much better in the air. Potter likes the game played with feet but it leaves us more exposed when being attacked aerially.

As for the lineup, I reckon Stephens will be back in, partly as rotation and partly due to perhaps needing to be a bit more defensive against Chelsea. Not sure who for though - was a bit surprised Mooy played against Bournemouth 48 hrs after looking so knackered against Spurs, but then he had a blinder so with an extra couple of days maybe he'll be OK. If he's fit and recovered he's undroppable really.

Can see something a bit unconventional maybe.........

Ryan
Webster Dunk Burn
Schelotto Stephens Propper Bernardo
Mooy (or Gross)
Connolly Maupay

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
@BG has moved on from Kayal to Webster as his target...........

We learned nothing from Duffy being back v Bournemouth - he got lucky with a couple of big mistakes in the first half, we was outstanding in the air as always and he shanked a couple of passes. Webster's defending bothers me but he and Duffy seem to make about the same number of mistakes per game. Webster is much better with the ball at his feet, Duffy in much better in the air. Potter likes the game played with feet but it leaves us more exposed when being attacked aerially.

As for the lineup, I reckon Stephens will be back in, partly as rotation and partly due to perhaps needing to be a bit more defensive against Chelsea. Not sure who for though - was a bit surprised Mooy played against Bournemouth 48 hrs after looking so knackered against Spurs, but then he had a blinder so with an extra couple of days maybe he'll be OK. If he's fit and recovered he's undroppable really.

Can see something a bit unconventional maybe.........

Ryan
Webster Dunk Burn
Schelotto Stephens Propper Bernardo
Mooy (or Gross)
Connolly Maupay

Schelotto won't play, and l'd be mega surprised if Bernardo made the starting line up too.

But as we know, it's near on impossible to guess Potter's thinking, so I'll have my hat ready to chomp on, just in case.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Connolly and Schelotto to be back for me

Ali J wasn't on bench at Spurs and started the next game

Those two not on bench on Saturday so bound to start would be my best guess

Bit surprised we have not tried 3-4-3 formation yet with Biss, Propper, Stephens and Mooy across the middle

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I believe that Webster will become a good player but I am concerned about the present and until such time as we have sufficient points to ensure we do not get relegated, so based purely on his greater win the ball at all costs defending, I would go for Duffy. Perhaps look again in May and assess for next season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here