Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Gotta Love The Sydney Fireworks

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I wonder if those stuck on the beach at Mallacoota appreciated them and all those dollars exploded to make that pretty fire in the sky

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I wonder if those stuck on the beach at Mallacoota appreciated them and all those dollars exploded to make that pretty fire in the sky

I'd like to think they'd be straight headed Aussie enough to realise that the two things are in no way connected other than for the purpose of political cheap shots. Nature's gonna do what nature's gonna do. Loving the positivity of the Sydney fireworks :clap2:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
pointed out in news over weekend that the display has been payed for months ago.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I reckon 100% of Aussies on that beach would say something like "don't be a sook" or "soft c**t" to anyone even making the connection.

250,000 signed a petition asking for the fireworks to be scrapped. regardless of what had already been spent on the display, there would have been huge costs incurred on the night with stewarding and emergency services, all could have been put to better use maybe?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
250,000 signed a petition asking for the fireworks to be scrapped. regardless of what had already been spent on the display, there would have been huge costs incurred on the night with stewarding and emergency services, all could have been put to better use maybe?

250,000 in any worldie city will always virtue signal something they don't like. Probably now factored into any equation and duly disregarded :wave:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
You could argue that with the devastation caused by the fires and the potential impact on tourism Australia needs this big firework show more than ever.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

At best it seems a bit uncomfortable to be having a firework display when the nation is literally burning away in the background.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
At best it seems a bit uncomfortable to be having a firework display when the nation is literally burning away in the background.

Agreed - I really don't think the economic argument stacks up. It's not like some Sydney city officials were going to pop down to the local newsagent today to pick up some rockets and Catherine wheels for the display, and many of the staff rostered on would likely be deployed throughout the city if the display hadn't gone ahead as the city would still be busy with revellers.

But it doesn't feel quite right to have gone ahead with the display when so many are in perilous positions right now.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Agreed - I really don't think the economic argument stacks up. It's not like some Sydney city officials were going to pop down to the local newsagent today to pick up some rockets and Catherine wheels for the display, and many of the staff rostered on would likely be deployed throughout the city if the display hadn't gone ahead as the city would still be busy with revellers.

But it doesn't feel quite right to have gone ahead with the display when so many are in perilous positions right now.

With the advancement of laser technology, you'd think in hindsight, it would've been a cleaner and more earth friendly option!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Disagree. Australia has always been a positive outward-looking country, bless em. Cancelling the fireworks would have been bowing down to lazy social media outrage. Enough of that already

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The arrogant Australian PM has a Trump take on the planet. Let’s massively hike coal production, there’s no evidence that mankind is polluting or heating our atmosphere. :wanker:

Hopefully what's happening will at least mean he gets voted out. That's if electoral accountability for anything populist leaders say or do is still a thing in the coming decade :)

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I don't disagree with the decision to not to cancel necessarily.

But to me these fires and the timing of them at the start of a new decade serve as a grim portent of what is to come.

Australia now. But the climate disaster will reach everywhere in some form or other.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here