Votes: 59 33.1%
  • 2-1 vs. Doncaster Rovers 2011/12 - First game at the AMEX

Votes: 119 66.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Well here we are, 32 amazing moments started off this competition and now only two remain, and both are legendary 2-1 victories at home. I’m so glad these two meet in the final – whoever comes out on top will be a worthy winner.

The last decade ended with a 5-2 win over Wycombe Wanderers in League One. A certain Mr Murray scored four! That win took us out of the relegation zone down to League Two, now 10 years on we have been from Withdean to Wembley, played in our new home and achieved Premier League promotion. The last ten years have been remarkable for the Albion, truly a club like no other. Here is to the next ten years!

But for now, let’s start by taking a look back at the last ten.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvhGyJKLNn0

And now onto the final:

Winner of Semi Final One

2-1 v Wigan Athletic, 2016/17 – Promotion to Premier League

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZSuaqT8w5Q

Form:
Winner Group A
Last 16 – Beat 4-3 vs. Dagenham & Redbridge 2010/11 – 92%
QF – Beat 1-0 vs. Manchester United 2017/18 – 72%
SF – Beat 3-1 vs. Crystal Palace 2018/19 – 22%

V

Winner of Semi Final Two

2-1 vs. Doncaster Rovers 2011/12 - First game at the AMEX

Form:
Winner Group H
Last 16 – Beat Ulloa v Nottingham Forest – 83%
QF – Beat Murray v Birmingham –88%
SF – Beat 2-1 vs. Sheffield Wednesday 2016/17 – 84%

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ysly-4P968c

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I think both games were similar in many ways, a culmination of years of struggle, a day to sit back and rejoice in the club's achievements with the hard work already done. And although both were victories, with late drama against Doncaster, neither of these were edge of your seat games like some of the others on the list - for Doncaster we were home, we had our stadium, that was the big thing. And for Wigan, we were basically up already, the hard work had been done, this was an easy home game, we just needed to complete the formalities and have the party.

I was only there for one of them, so it will have to be Donny at home. Will Buckley will always be my daughter's favourite player because of this. What an amazing day, waving our flags as the teams came out, so happy I could be there.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Pedant alert: the first competitive game at the Amex was actually the Sussex Senior County Cup Final against Eastbourne Town.

That aside, it's a hard call. I went for the Doncaster game because I reckon it will live longer in most people's memories than promotion to the PL, which was the culmination of a whole season's hard work and strong performances.

Leegull

Apr 7, 2016
Wow tough choice, both absolutely magical days that will forever live in the memory and I’ll always be able to say that I was there for both of them...

For the Donny game I was there with friends, unbelievable drama and an emotional day.. my boys were only 4 and 1 years old respectively and neither were in attendance or remotely interested in the match..

Fast forward five and a bit years and they’re both season ticket holders and watching the Wigan match with me in the North stand, with their faces painted... the joy of running on the pitch (sorry Paul) and the singing with the players and Tony scarf twirling will stay with us for ever.. some great photos too..

For me therefore I’ve plumped for Wigan for personal reasons but I fully expect Donny to win it for a multitude of reasons...

Great thread :albion2:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
To those who experienced the pain of losing the Goldstone, there can only be one choice. Getting our new stadium, the redemption of Brighton and Hove Albion, after those lost years is the biggest moment in our history.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Seriously hard choice. The levels of emotion at both were such that I might possibly have "had something in my eye" at both. I think possibly the Donny game just edges it, as it was the ultimate signal that the years and years of bad times could finally be put behind us.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Pedant alert: the first competitive game at the Amex was actually the Sussex Senior County Cup Final against Eastbourne Town.

That aside, it's a hard call. I went for the Doncaster game because I reckon it will live longer in most people's memories than promotion to the PL, which was the culmination of a whole season's hard work and strong performances.

It was Eastbourne Borough.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Easy choice, that Doncaster game was the day we were re-born as a club

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I voted for the Donny game - was there but can remember virtually nothing about it bar Buckley’s goal. I can completely recall Buckley shaping his body, the build up, the flick pass from Noone etc but that’s it.

Odd really...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
It was Wigan for me from the first round.
But the 'something in my eye' comment made me realise I still get those moments just seeing The Amex and for that reason it has to be Donny.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
In the future there will be other promotions but never again will we move into a stadium we shed blood sweat and tears for.

The match mirrored the struggle for the ground - togetherness, optimism, then the shadow of impending doom and hopes to be dashed before our white knight came on and delivered last gasp glory.

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
I only went to 1 of those matches, the Wigan game and what a day but I have voted for Donny because to my mind it is the more important event for the club

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
In the future there will be other promotions but never again will we move into a stadium we shed blood sweat and tears for.

The match mirrored the struggle for the ground - togetherness, optimism, then the shadow of impending doom and hopes to be dashed before our white knight came on and delivered last gasp glory.

It's a really tough one between these two. Given the battles, the trips to Gillingham, the Withdean, the hardship; the opening game against Doncaster Rovers and the result that ensued, it really is hard to top the shear emotion and magic of that day. But ultimately, that day was all about Wigan at home, it was the next step in the journey to what the Wigan home game achieved. There may well be relegations and promotions to come, but for me, the journey was completed at Wigan - we arrived at the destination that Bloom's ambition for the club had set. Wigan by a nose for me, but over a pint I could flip flop between the two quite easily.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Donnie for me. “brighton are back” ringing round the ground bought tears to my eyes. Difficult to see how that day could be ever be beaten. In many ways just a perfect day.

Last edited:

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
I've been on the Wigan game all along. Much as the first game was magical it was, as stated above, a step on the road. Wigan was arriving at the destination. Best football party ever.

Stumpy Tim

The WIgan game was amazing, and as I ran on the pitch with my 6 year old son I couldn´t be happier. But I cried at the Doncaster game. A grown man crying at football. I have never been emotional at any match, but that got me and was (and probably always will be) the greatest personal moment at football for Stumpy Tim.

Thank you Tony. What a mark he´s left on this city

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I've been on the Wigan game all along. Much as the first game was magical it was, as stated above, a step on the road. Wigan was arriving at the destination. Best football party ever.

Won’t happen like that again either.....if we go down, and then back up, it just wouldn’t be the same.......I didn’t want to leave the ground. After the on-pitch madness, went back into the NS concourse for another drink or two..........watched the later game where the v late goal (Hudds ?) confirmed absolutely the promotion, then went back out on to the pitch where it all started up again as the players came out of their lounge in the ES, mostly clearly bladdered by that point. Unforgettable and unrepeatable.

Sue1983

Aug 15, 2018
Won’t happen like that again either.....if we go down, and then back up, it just wouldn’t be the same.......I didn’t want to leave the ground. After the on-pitch madness, went back into the NS concourse for another drink or two..........watched the later game where the v late goal (Hudds ?) confirmed absolutely the promotion, then went back out on to the pitch where it all started up again as the players came out of their lounge in the ES, mostly clearly bladdered by that point. Unforgettable and unrepeatable.

This.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here