Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Anybody want to run the 2020 Celebrity Death Pool?

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Anybody want to run the 2020 Celebrity Death Pool?

It’s the most wonderful time of the year!!! This past year has been exciting so far, and 2020 should be just as great!!!. Okay, as usual, let’s get the rules out of the way and get to playing.

The Rules:

1. You pick 13 celebrities (that's thirteen, not ten) whom you predict will die within the calendar year 2020. If any of your celebrities dies, you score 100 points minus their age at death. Whoever has the most points at the end of the year wins the undying *snort* admiration of the NSC

2. All picks must be time- and date-stamped by midnight London time, 7th January, 2020. (That's British time, which is Greenwich time.) (I added a week to get the names in. If a member of your list dies before midnight 7 January 2020 you would want to add some alternates to your list as stated below.)

3. Valid picks are not:

a. already dead
b. a fictional character
c. non-human
d. under age 18 at death, 'cause we're macabre but not THAT macabre.
e. a registered member of the NSC, 'cause that would be weird
f. hostages held by terrorist organizations
g. famous solely as a result of their illness or associated actions/events.
h. listed as “any member of whatever group”

It’s really hard to define “celebrity” Best we can do is someone who’s death is rather widely reported in major media outlets, because of something they’ve done, be it art, politics, athletics, science, music, the military, or even serial murder. It’s not going to be your Aunt Mabel who was in the local paper because her apple pie won first place in the county fair. HOWEVER, if you DO have a question about whether or not someone’s choice qualifies, please, I’d prefer a PM about it to start off with, rather than thrashing it out in public and possibly causing resentment. Remember, people, it’s only a game! It’s supposed to be fun, Fun FUN!!!

4. You can pick people who are 100 or more years old but you won't score points for them. See the "Quantity Not Quality" award, below.

5. If we are uncertain about the celebrity's age at death, we will go by the higher age (lower score).

6. Prisoners held on death row will be valid for scoring points only if they die by means other than official execution. I call this the “Whitey Bulger“.rule.

7. Any poster who kills or otherwise contributes to the death of any celebrity mentioned in this thread is disqualified. It's just a game, people. The only exceptions to this rule would be deaths caused by those posters serving as members of the police or armed forces of any country, in the line of duty.

8. Editing your choices: be careful! You can make changes to your list before the end of the year, but it has to be clear which names are your final choices. It might be advisable to submit one or more "alternates" with your list, in the event that one of your picks dies during December 2019. If you have no alternates, and one of your picks has died the remaining twelve will be all you have. You may have no more than 13 picks. If you pick more than 13, or if any of your picks is otherwise invalid, I may ask for clarification. Otherwise, I will submit the first 13 names on your list. Do me a favor: check twice, post once.

Sharing news of celebrities in ill health and whatnot is up to individual posters.

If a poster playing the game gets banned during the year, this does not invalidate their entry, although they won’t be able to gloat in the thread if and/or when they do get points.

If a player changes their username at some point, post this news on the thread, or PM me, so I know who you are.

Some celebrities have common, identical or similar names. It is helpful to be specific.

Spelling counts! Please try to spell celebrities' names correctly. Names that weren’t originally spelled in English can be tricky, I know, but if you aren’t sure of a name, try looking at what a major news outlet, like CNN or the BBC, uses.

While all deaths garnering points must occur during the calendar year, I know that a death might go unreported for a day or so. So, I will not post official total points for at least 24 hours after 12/31/2020. If you find that one of your picks died, say, late on 12/31/2020, and you didn’t hear about it until late on Jan. 1, 2021(this is a not so subtle hint to check your lists)then post a cite at once, and you will get your points. After that you will be out of luck.

Additional awards:

The "Opening Kickoff" Award: awarded to the poster or posters who pick the first listed celebrity to die in 2020.

The "Quantity Not Quality" Award: awarded to the poster or posters who pick the greatest number of celebrities who died, regardless of their actual point value.

The "Inside Track With the Grim Reaper" Award: awarded to the poster or posters who had the most unique picks that died.

The "Robbing the Cradle" Award: awarded to the poster or posters who pick the youngest celebrity to die in 2020, but see rule 3.d.

The "Final Hours" Award: awarded to the poster or posters who pick the last listed celebrity to die in 2020.

List Format:

I have a spreadsheet that allows me to post game standings and produce various other statistics. The pain is "loading" the data into the sheets. I can do each list in a single cut and paste if you do the following two things. First, please observe, what I, ???, refer to as the “Pope” rule, that is, use the name a celebrity is most commonly known by. It isn’t necessarily their birth name. If a person is known primarily by a titled name, please use that. So it wouldn’t be Jorge Bergoglio, it would be Pope Francis. And don’t put down Elizabeth Windsor, put down Queen Elizabeth II. For all I know there are other celebrities with the plain names. If you do pick George or Lizzy, under their lesser known names, I might not notice it, to give you those points if and when they shuffle off this mortal coil and go to join the choir invisible. And please, let me mention again, check your spelling of names!!!

And second, post your list in a plain format. An example of a plain list follows here:

Sam Brownback
Jeff Colyer
Pat Roberts
Jerry Moran
Tim Huelskamp
Mike Pompeo
Kevin Yoder
Derek Schmidt
Kris Kobach
Ron Estes
Ken Selzer
Donald Trump
Mike Pence

However, I know that many of you like to include commentary within your lists, such as:

Donald(Pumpkin-in-Chief)Trump
Sam(only 26% approval rating as governor)Brownback

That’s fine, it’s entertaining. But if you do that, please include the list again in plain format for me to copy & paste.

It’s good to be the Death Mistress!

Have fun, sickos, and “May the odds be ever in your favor!”

Last edited:

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
If you are going to copy and paste from a US site, hide your tracks by fixing US spellings - especially if they are highlighted in bold.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
If you are going to copy and paste from a US site, hide your tracks by fixing US spellings - especially if they are highlighted in bold.

I work for a US company. They just are not that prominent for me anymore. I will try and make you happy by fixing them.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
OP needs to sort himself out in my opinion. This read s like yet another cry for help. It would be much better to actually ask for help than heep posting stupid threads and conversations with yourself. FFS.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Is that really your final answer? Are you unaware of the search engine called Google?

https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=886167

As if the list of US politicians wasn't enough of a giveaway. Or mention of GMT.

Edit - and I see you replaced the weird acronym of the other board with NSC.

Too late now. I was busy fixing the rules anyway. Get used to it. America is invading the PL just like Oz and there are American spellings all over the place.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Some of us wouldn't have the degrees or the jobs that we have now without judicious use of copy and paste so I won't judge you

I'll even make you a little list

Tom Hanks
Jacinta Arden
Terry Venables
Grant Schapps
Madonna
Henry Blofeld
Fern Britton
Glaisheen Maxwell
Vicky Michelle
Warren Gatland
Sheikh Mansoor
Mark Zuckerberg
Simon Weston

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
OP needs to sort himself out in my opinion. This read s like yet another cry for help. It would be much better to actually ask for help than heep posting stupid threads and conversations with yourself. FFS.

You certainly are perfect aren't you. I did ask if someone else would run it. I just liked what my cousin sent me.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Some of us wouldn't have the degrees or the jobs that we have now without judicious use of copy and paste so I won't judge you

I'll even make you a little list

Tom Hanks
Jacinta Arden
Terry Venables
Grant Schapps
Madonna
Henry Blofeld
Fern Britton
Glaisheen Maxwell
Vicky Michelle
Warren Gatland
Sheikh Mansoor
Mark Zuckerberg
Simon Weston

I'll give everyone till 7th January 2020 midnight to edit their lists and add alternates.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You certainly are perfect aren't you. I did ask if someone else would run it. I just liked what my cousin sent me.

NSC stopped doing this a couple of years ago on the grounds that it is ghoulish and distasteful and people started feeling icky about it.

If you weren't so busy replying to your own posts and spouting bollocks you might have noticed :shrug:

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
NSC stopped doing this a couple of years ago on the grounds that it is ghoulish and distasteful and people started feeling icky about it.

If you weren't so busy replying to your own posts and spouting bollocks you might have noticed :shrug:

Jeeez, you are a real putz. Many will have fun with it. The putzes won't. Stop your whinging!

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I was going to say This Thread, but I fully expect this thread to be dead by 7 January so not a valid option.

Now that lays down the challange. It's on. You really screwed the pooch on that comment. It will now NEVER die. (before 31/12/2020 midnight)

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I have a name I want killed off .....

GraPott

Also, the OP states "It’s good to be the Death Mistress!" are you female or non-binary? Just interested, like ....
Or is it a cut 'n' paste error, your cousin is female and you were too lazy to change the second-to-last line?

This is sloppy work on a Timmy level ...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here