Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League Fan Experience

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
The experience has felt a little lacking for me since we got promotion. That was really put into context by a visit to Wycombe Wanderer's yesterday with a Coventry supporting mate over from Germany. There were no bottle top confiscations, you were let out of the ground at half time to visit a beer tent and burger bar in the car park, could watch the game pitchside, could get so close to the dugouts that you could clip the manager around the ear if so inclined and had to wait for the tunnel to be taken back into the stand to get out after the match. Atmosphere from the Coventry fans was excellent and the quality of the football pretty decent, other than Wycombe's launch it toward Akinfenwa routine.

It was reminiscent of the league 1 winning season and I enjoyed it far more than the Bournemouth game the day before. Easy to forget how much is lost by fans when premier league football is obtained. Championship very similar too these days. I'm not wanting to plunge back down to the third tier but it is such a shame that it is so rampantly corporate these days.

IMG_20191229_160024.jpgIMG_20191229_160753_1.jpgIMG_20191229_165034.jpgIMG_20191229_155103.jpg

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
Great pictures, it's true that sometimes. the journey is better than the destination, but I would never want to see The Albion back there.

Does make me wonder about following a "small" team as well so i get best of both worlds?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
What is brilliant is that we have has the chance to experience both.... And we've done it the right way round

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
If anybody is so disposed, could always support Crawley as your lower league club. On the doorstep.

It's not for me though, following the Albion can be stressful at times.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I visit Wealdstone FC every now and again (as does AmexRuisip I believe). I enjoy it
a lot - you can walk round the pitch all match, get a cheese and onion roll from the kiosk at half-time,
get a pint from the friendly bar before the match, have a chat with the Wealdstone Raider if you so choose
(I choose not to) and be so close to the action that you could easily get a ball in the nackers. While I do enjoy it,
I still look forward to getting back to the Amex every other week.

So you can enjoy both 'worlds'.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
It's a weird one, I don't want to go back because that would be a dead end in many respects but I do really miss it. AFC Wimbledon are very local to me but one team is enough really - can't give every weekend to football.

Forgot to mention that under 12's were free admission too. Brilliant!

Loved the match and the whole experience, felt like it was as football should be. Could smell the grass and feel the pounding of feet when Akinfenwa moved.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I recall a Boxing Day trip to Wycombe to watch the Albion when someone in our end managed to 'borrow' a megaphone from a steward.

:lolol:

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I recall a Boxing Day trip to Wycombe to watch the Albion when someone in our end managed to 'borrow' a megaphone from a steward.

I remember that and every time the stewards came to get it back, it was passed around us.

Jaxie

Dec 2, 2018
Far East (Sussex)

Yea I remember that. Was that the same game with the “we want Falmer” sit in at the end? That happened at Wycombe as well and I’m sure I’ve only been there once.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The experience has felt a little lacking for me since we got promotion. That was really put into context by a visit to Wycombe Wanderer's yesterday with a Coventry supporting mate over from Germany. There were no bottle top confiscations, you were let out of the ground at half time to visit a beer tent and burger bar in the car park, could watch the game pitchside, could get so close to the dugouts that you could clip the manager around the ear if so inclined and had to wait for the tunnel to be taken back into the stand to get out after the match. Atmosphere from the Coventry fans was excellent and the quality of the football pretty decent, other than Wycombe's launch it toward Akinfenwa routine.

It was reminiscent of the league 1 winning season and I enjoyed it far more than the Bournemouth game the day before. Easy to forget how much is lost by fans when premier league football is obtained. Championship very similar too these days. I'm not wanting to plunge back down to the third tier but it is such a shame that it is so rampantly corporate these days.

View attachment 118706View attachment 118707View attachment 118708View attachment 118709

What camera...or did you use a smartphone camera...photos look quite clear considering the light...just curious...nice snaps which capture the mood nicely

Jaxie

Dec 2, 2018
Far East (Sussex)

View attachment 118706View attachment 118707View attachment 118708View attachment 118709

Yea I agree. I do miss following a lower league team for lots of reasons. The Premier League doesn’t do it for me. That and VAR are why I’ve only been to one game this season, and that was the Villa cup game. I don’t sit around and moan about it, or hope the club gets relegated back to league 2. Just that the club has moved on, and I haven’t. Still listen to games when I can though, and keep an eye on the scores during games, just taken a step back from attending games. Might go Saturday though, hopefully it’ll be a more interesting line up than the last cup game.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Adams Park is a great experience for proper footy fans.
I sometime go there with my mate to watch the Wanderers, access and parking is no problem, whilst back in time for tea.
A shame Adam El Abd isnt there anymore, he was quite a popular player with them :)

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Adams Park is a great experience for proper footy fans.
I sometime go there with my mate to watch the Wanderers, access and parking is no problem, whilst back in time for tea.
A shame Adam El Abd isnt there anymore, he was quite a popular player with them :)
Yes, they do it well there. Other than a **** with a drum in the home end. Why on earth do clubs put up with such shite. 4-1 down at home and rat-atat-tat endlessly.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
What camera...or did you use a smartphone camera...photos look quite clear considering the light...just curious...nice snaps which capture the mood nicely
Pixel 4 phone. Free Chromebook with it so I thought why not! Seems to take some decent pics

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Yea I agree. I do miss following a lower league team for lots of reasons. The Premier League doesn’t do it for me. That and VAR are why I’ve only been to one game this season, and that was the Villa cup game. I don’t sit around and moan about it, or hope the club gets relegated back to league 2. Just that the club has moved on, and I haven’t. Still listen to games when I can though, and keep an eye on the scores during games, just taken a step back from attending games. Might go Saturday though, hopefully it’ll be a more interesting line up than the last cup game.

It's how i feel. Var has finished it for me, I said it back in September i won't be renewing. I cannot justify spending over £500 on a season ticket to watch a screen telling me if it's a goal or not. It's not football i know. I'm going back to the radio and dodgy streams. Like you will pop along occasionally.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Great thread!

Agree with many of the sentiments expressed. For me, I just can't stand all the bolleaux about buying tickets in advance (and often not actually buying them, just applying for them, FFS!), loyalty points for permission to buy tickets for away matches. For me, football (along with trains, buses and cinemas) should be just about turning up on matchday and paying your money at the turnstiles. Don't mind if that's plastic now rather than cash - can understand clubs not wanting to cash up and bank twenty or so thousand times forty quid on a Saturday afternoon, and besides forty quid is a lot of cash to be carrying around to a match, plus cash for whatever else you might buy.

Haven't tried just turning up and getting in to an away PL game yet - age and health are taking their toll! Might give the Wolves game a go if I feel OK on the day.

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The move to the Amex was a game changer, add in Premier League and it clearly has changed even more, VAR is also spoiling the moment we score at times.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
**** VAR

Those days were great, loved them. Also very happy with what we have now though, just in a very different way.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Iand feel the pounding of feet when Akinfenwa moved.

To be fair mate, that's not a lower league stadium thing, you could probably feel that from WSU

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here