Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Neil Innes RIP

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Neil has sadly died aged 75.

Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band, The Rutles and Monty Python all outlets for his comedy songs.

RIP

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
No Way! It was only a couple of months ago that someone who did some work for him in his home in France recently, asked me if I knew who he was because said person didn’t have a clue, he’d just been told it was someone famous

RIP

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Sad news indeed.

I have just mentioned his passing to a near neighbour of mine, Jim Chambers, who was a backing muscian and played often with the Bonzo's. and hence new Neil quite well.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Another part of the soundtrack of my youth gone.

He made the best introduction to any song ever in my opinion, when he quipped at The Secret Policeman's Ball: "I've suffered for my music... And now it's your turn."

Genius.

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
Sad news saw him play with Yo La Tengo many years ago in Sheffield. He played a "medley of hit" Urban Spaceman. Must dig out The Rutles again soon.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Yeah one of my heroes.

My uncle Dave introduced me to the Bonzos when I was 5ish. Intro Outro and Bad Blood were favourites.
Then the Innes book of records came along and Rutland weekend television and of course the Rutles.

Man was a comedy genius and talented musician.

Saw him play in the Rutles as a support act to the bonzos. Think it was a 50 yr anniversary gig.
Superb evening.

RIP legend

Barrow Boy

NSC Patreon
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Sad loss, just finished reading Eric Idle's autobiography and he talks a lot about his involvement with Neil particularly The Rutles. They were both great friends with George Harrison and when he heard this song written by Neil he remarked "are you sure we didn't write that".

And who could forget this (recorded from the Concert for George)

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Was he constantly mocking The Beatles ? I think he was...

Legend - "Canyons of your mind" by the Bonzo's contains possibly the greatest guitar solo ever :). Loved his performance as the minstrel in "Holy Grail....".

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here