Everton -1
Chelsea -2
Norwich -3
West Ham -3
Wolves -4
Sheff Utd -5

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
[MENTION=24507]Bodian[/MENTION] posted the +6 yesterday which like a lot of VAR is inaccurate. The plus 6 is

For
Everton pen
Leicester retake of pen (hardly a great advantage)
Sheff utd x 2
Arsenal Luiz goal
Spurs Kane goal
Villa Ryan foul

Against
West ham Trossard goal

Missing
Burn v Bournemouth
Dunk goal v Saints

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Obvious wasnt a penalty because was looked at by VAR. but is there footage of the incident. All nearby albion players appealed and looked handball from lower east

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I saw this earlier. It offers no context. In the Sheff Utd score are the two (rightfully) disallowed goals against us.

Although there should be a Dan Burn score in that - he’s had 3 disallowed just for being too tall.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1211013884431208449[/tweet]

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
It annoys me when they bring up the Arsenal goal as being a positive for us, last season the linesman would have probably flagged it as it was feet offside not inches.

Also the second Sheff Utd goal, I'm sure everybody knew it was offside as they ball didn't come back to the centre circle

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
What I have found very interesting is that VAR very quickly seems to be having minimal impact on the result. At the start of the season there was a lot of fuss about how having a goal disallowed had a big impact on the momentum of the match, with one side feeling down and the other getting confidence.

That seems to have almost completely gone now. Sheffield United twice thought they had extended their lead, but there was no comeback from us. After Burns disallowed goal we arguably played better than before, and got our deserved second. Palace had one ruled out against saints but got their goal a short while after.

I think the sports psychologists have done their job (maybe not at wolves), and it was noticeable that Potter and burns both brushed off the disallowed goal in interviews after and didn't complain at all about it. They have definitely worked at coping with this.

In that context this +/- probably doesn't matter that much

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
What I have found very interesting is that VAR very quickly seems to be having minimal impact on the result. At the start of the season there was a lot of fuss about how having a goal disallowed had a big impact on the momentum of the match, with one side feeling down and the other getting confidence.

That seems to have almost completely gone now. Sheffield United twice thought they had extended their lead, but there was no comeback from us. After Burns disallowed goal we arguably played better than before, and got our deserved second. Palace had one ruled out against saints but got their goal a short while after.

I think the sports psychologists have done their job (maybe not at wolves), and it was noticeable that Potter and burns both brushed off the disallowed goal in interviews after and didn't complain at all about it. They have definitely worked at coping with this.

Ask Norwich that in May if they are relegated by a point

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Not sure you can say that. You may be right, but we have no way of knowing.

If we'd gone two up earlier, the game would have played out differently, but we have no way of knowing how.

Had Palace's first "goal" stood, you can't determine they'd definitely not have scored the second (first), and the result suggests two goals would have probably won them the game, although equally it may not.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
But the point is that Norwich did get their second goal later in the game, but couldn't hold on, they conceded twice while in the lead. The match probably goes the same way regardless.

2-0 up at half time is much better than 1-0 up, yes Spurs might have come back but Norwich might then have made it 3-1 with half an hour to go

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Not sure you can say that. You may be right, but we have no way of knowing.

If we'd gone two up earlier, the game would have played out differently, but we have no way of knowing how.

Had Palace's first "goal" stood, you can't determine they'd definitely not have scored the second (first), and the result suggests two goals would have probably won them the game, although equally it may not.

No, of course, but I suppose the point is that Sheffield should have been gutted when their goal was disallowed, and crumbled, but they didn't. Bournemouth should have come right back into the game after our second was disallowed, but if anything they were worse.

So of course some results will be different with VAR, I'm just making the point that some games seem to be playing out exactly the same way regardless of VAR decisions, because the underlying state of the matches isn't being affected as much, and I'll put that down to the sports psychologists

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
For us of an older persuasion,VAR is a boon,like VSC in Formula 1,time for a wee-break.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
[MENTION=24507]Bodian[/MENTION] posted the +6 yesterday which like a lot of VAR is inaccurate. The plus 6 is

For
Everton pen
Leicester retake of pen (hardly a great advantage)
Sheff utd x 2
Arsenal Luiz goal
Spurs Kane goal
Villa Ryan foul

Against
West ham Trossard goal

Missing
Burn v Bournemouth
Dunk goal v Saints

Also, Maupay very offside goal against Sheffield United.
And, the trip on Montoya at Palace, that should have been a penalty, but for some unfathomable reason, wasn’t.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Also, Maupay very offside goal against Sheffield United.
And, the trip on Montoya at Palace, that should have been a penalty, but for some unfathomable reason, wasn’t.
I'm not sure you can cite a penalty that wasn't awarded by the referee or VAR as 'should have been a penalty'.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Part of the problem with VAR tallies like this is that every goal, every potential red card and every potential penalty is checked. There will have been many many more incidents checked than people realise. How many of the goals we scored that were chalked at needed a couple of replays before the VAR ruled it a good goal? Shouldn't they also be included in the tally?

From my tally - I ignore the goal/penalty/red card reviews unless they take so long that play is paused and the check displayed on the screen

v watford (a)
Penalty check - Handball by us, no handball

v West Ham (h)
Goal (for) - disallowed for offside

v Southampton (h)
Goal (for) - disallowed offside

v Man City (a)
No notable decision

v Burnley (h)
No notable decision

v Newcastle (a)
Review of Alzate going down near their keeper, no foul given, review confirmed decision

v Chelsea (a)
Penalty given, review confirmed decision

v Tottenham (h)
No notable decision

v Aston Villa (a)
Goal (against) disallowed for foul

v Everton (h)
Goal for not given
Penalty not original given, review gave it

v Norwich (h)
Red card check on Maupay not given, review confirmed decision

v Man Utd (a)
Goal (against) reviewed for handball, goal stood
Red card check for high boot to alzate, not given

v Leicester (h)
Penalty save reviewed for encroachment, penalty retaken

v Liverpool (a)
No notable decision (red card for Allison would have been reviewed, but was such a clear cut decision there was no announcement of the decision being reviewed)

v Arsenal (a)
Goal (against) disallowed

v Wolves (h)
Penalty for potential handball by dunk not given, review confirmed decision

v Palace (a)
Penalty not give, review (somehow) confirmed decision

v Sheff Utd (h)

v Tottenham (a)

v Bournemouth (h)
Goal (for) disallowed
Red card not given for foul by brighton, review confirmed decision
Penalty not given for potential handball by Bournemouth, review confirmed decision

I was going to tally which were in our favour and which were against us, but couldn't decide whether a review confirming a decision given in our favour counted as in our favour, or if we should only be looking at the decisions where the VAR has overruled the ref (or "advised the referee that what he thought he saw did not happened leading to the referee changing his mind and making the opposite call, because the final decision always sits with the on-field referee. :mad:")

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Why are so many ****s defending VAR!!’

That’s part of the problem - an army of nerdy armchair statisticians and pendants who believe the games joyous, raison d’etre should be sacrificed in favour of classroom geometry and technology deployment that’s a world away from the game we all fell in love with.

We’re going to have to get tougher and rougher if we want our game back - players should be prepared to not celebrate goals anymore, nor fans who should equally be prepared to greet goals with silence until after the kick off again. Kill the atmosphere and the TV companies will listen. Then the authorities will. Big banners in the stands, Goldstone type pitch protests etc at every PL game until sense is restored. Momentum is building and we need to ramp protests up until VAR is overturned. Even Lineker and co are now complaining!

I’m Porticus, who is with me?!!! :mad:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here