Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Playing the ball out from the back

Passing out form the back, are you

• Total voters

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I was chatting to a mate today about this. It seems a large number of fans are very uncomfortable with it and audibly moan when the players and keeper are getting closed down. Are YOU comfortable with it?

It seems to me and the mate I was discussing it with that it’s a much more sensible option than just hoofing or throwing the ball long. Playing this way we have a good chance of losing the ball quite often. Sure we are going to get badly caught out occasionally with a mistimed/executed pass but it hasn’t happened that much and the players seem quite comfortable with it. Ryan, imo, is up there with the best in the league with ball skills and seldom gets it wrong (watch it happen against Chelsea now I’ve said that!)

So is it most of us or just some louder mouthed people who are making it sound from the stands like it’s not generally liked?

I think, from Potter’s body language reaction to the crowd moaning that we might be hearing an “I might as well go and play golf” style comment soon :lolol:

Poll to follow

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This is now life

- deal with it
- Accept it.
- Move on.

Fans being 'uncomfortable' counts for diddily squat.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Ryan, imo, is up there with the best in the league with ball skills and seldom gets it wrong (watch it happen against Chelsea now I’ve said that!)

My only concern is that Ryan likes to take an extra touch sometimes when under pressure which gives their attackers a chance to win the ball, it seems to happen at least once a match.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
This is now life

- deal with it
- Accept it.
- Move on.

Fans being 'uncomfortable' counts for diddily squat.

Should we get Bozza to shut down NSC now that the Stasi have arrived on the thread and discussion is dismissed ? :wink:

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I hate it,because some players think they are better than the reality,losing the ball while pissing about,or passing to the opposition directly.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
The way we used it against Bournemouth was much more clever, we played it short a few times so then they started trying to push up at which point we utilised the option of going long/wide to Burn who won absolutely everything. Like that Potter has thought about it, gives us a different option so teams can’t just push up and high press us.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
The way we used it against Bournemouth was much more clever, we played it short a few times so then they started trying to push up at which point we utilised the option of going long/wide to Burn who won absolutely everything. Like that Potter has thought about it, gives us a different option so teams can’t just push up and high press us.

Spot on

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
On the whole, it should be applauded (as Aguero did)

But it does make yer ring twinge sometimes, it depends on the opposition and particular player with the ball

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Can't believe people would rather see us lump it up towards Trossard, Maupay, Connolly etc

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
My only concern is that Ryan likes to take an extra touch sometimes when under pressure which gives their attackers a chance to win the ball, it seems to happen at least once a match.

I keep thinking that....but considering how many times he's done so now I'm struggling to think of when he's messed it up. His ball control; is exceptional for a keeper - some of the passes back to him now are really getting belted at him but he's totally confident on either foot.

Everyone needs to get used to it because we're not going to stop it now (benefits/chances created far outweigh the risks).......won't stop the hordes of 'kick it long' wailers in the WSL from moaning though :shrug:

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I was chatting to a mate today about this. It seems a large number of fans are very uncomfortable with it and audibly moan when the players and keeper are getting closed down. Are YOU comfortable with it?

It seems to me and the mate I was discussing it with that it’s a much more sensible option than just hoofing or throwing the ball long. Playing this way we have a good chance of losing the ball quite often. Sure we are going to get badly caught out occasionally with a mistimed/executed pass but it hasn’t happened that much and the players seem quite comfortable with it. Ryan, imo, is up there with the best in the league with ball skills and seldom gets it wrong (watch it happen against Chelsea now I’ve said that!)

So is it most of us or just some louder mouthed people who are making it sound from the stands like it’s not generally liked?

I think, from Potter’s body language reaction to the crowd moaning that we might be hearing an “I might as well go and play golf” style comment soon :lolol:

Poll to follow

There’s a number of things I’ve found strange over the years, the new goal kick rule being the latest.

I found keepers catching the ball on their goal line, then running to the edge of the box strange - used to it now
I found keeper not being able to pick up a kicked back pass strange - used to it now
I found the placement of the ball for corners strange - still not used to it (just make the D bigger if the cheats can’t put the ball in it)
I find players inability to take a legal throw in strange - I was amazed to see a Premier League referee pull someone up recently!

I guess in time, this rule change and the knock on effect it has had will become part and parcel of the game, however at the moment it does all seem a little strange!

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Given that my sphincter has barely recovered from the level of tightness it was put through at the Palace game when Maty wanted to take inordinate amount of time to get his pass away, I should probably say I don't like it.

But I love it.

We have to accept that we will be caught over the course of the season. I think we can do sensible things to reduce the risk, (coaching to play the way we're facing is the big one to me). But ultimately it's getting us more goals on the counter than it's losing us.

It's genuinely thrilling, in the same way as driving on the motorway with your eyes closed is thrilling. I don't want it to stop. I need this in my life.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Reminds me very much of the Gus days, when he also implemented a keep the ball at all costs philosophy, where the goalkeeper needed to have equally adept ball skills as the outfield players.

I can see why Potter wants us to play this way, in as much as if the other team don't have the ball then they can't hurt us, but it isn't easy sometimes watching us take too long in playing out from the back, giving the opposition time to adopt the press and close us down. So l'm on the fence with this one, but either way, this style of play is one of the big reasons we have employed Potter, so ditch it, and we may as well ditch him with it.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

Spot on. We are now starting to vary it so when the opposition commit a few players to closing the short passing out from the back it gives us the option of a long ball to players in space in the opposition’s half. The change as the season goes on is becoming obvious and makes us a threat with the long ball rather than the lottery of whopping the ball long from kicks or the keeper’s hand. It’s very clever football, with risks worth taking imo

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
I remember despairing whilst watching Andy Whing pinging long aimless diagonal balls at Withdean to 'get rid of it' and wishing we would just play football a bit more.

We will get caught out occasionally playing out from the back but surely this season is so much better to watch. Playing football on the floor and working openings with quick passing and little lay offs - It's not every week but these are our salad days for me and I am loving it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Should we get Bozza to shut down NSC now that the Stasi have arrived on the thread and discussion is dismissed ? :wink:
Like all other things that are being 'discussed', at the moment, it's completely nonsensical.

Fingers crossed we lose on Wednesday, this place is shitehouse when we win. :lolol: :flounce: :lolol:

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
I have no problem with it, it's the 'proper' way to play. Whilst Maty is good with the ball at his feet, I do feel as though he needs to work on his passes to the full backs which often go straight out of play. Not a massive complaint, he just needs to practice on his technique.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here