Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] What about this VAR suggestion from Souness?

Do you agree with Souness on offside VARs?

• Good idea

Votes: 68 64.8%
  • Keep it as it is

Votes: 5 4.8%
  • Ditch VAR for offside checks

Votes: 32 30.5%

• Total voters

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Mr Grumpy just suggested changing the rules rather than VAR by saying that if any part of the striker is onside then he is onside. Switch the line checking the other way around so you are checking if any part of him was onside rather than offside.

Not something I had thought of before and it could have some merit.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Think the ‘lines’ simply need to be made thicker to have a margin......can’t work on millimetres as they are doing now as it’s a level of precision that simply doesn’t work (as has been proven)

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Think the ‘lines’ simply need to be made thicker to have a margin......can’t work on millimetres as they are doing now as it’s a level of precision that simply doesn’t work (as has been proven)

Did you see how pixelated the Wolves player foot was? Then you just have some numpty clicking on that image as a best guest as to the outside of that pixelated image. It really is a joke.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Do away with the lines and show it in real time. Then obvious offsides will be apparent, others give the benefit to the attacking team.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Yep, well in favour of that. Offside should be "daylight" between defender and attacker.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Just do away with VAR is the answer, instead have a referees reference view if the referee and only the referee has any doubt about a decision he can refer it to RRV

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I've had a think about it and think the biggest issue would be the linesmen. Much easier to see if someone is just ahead than completely ahead. Would probably results in fewer flags and more checks.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I like the Souness idea because the officials still call it on the pitch. Only if the player is CLEARLY offside by having no part of his body onside does the VAR overturn the on field decision.

Goals scored given offside on the pitch, if onside use the same system now basically - not ruining the experience inside the ground as the lino has already given it offside.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Needs to be a bit like cricket - a certain distance which means that the original decision remains with the initial linesman call regardless if is ‘technically’ on or offside. 6 inches or something like that.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Having just looked at the Premier League website they say VAR will only be used to resolve 'clear and obvious' errors and missed incidents, yet the explanation of the precision in which VAR operators come to a decision shows that it was never going to be just 'clear and obvious' errors but pretty much every goal and penalty.

The site also says the technology means viewers can see the decision being reached in real time, whereas the reality for fans attending is no replay until the decison has been reached, often 2 minutes or more after the goal.

It's criminal the system wasn't trialled for a whole season in some mini European league before being rolled out. This is supposed to be the best and richest league in the world with a global fanbase and betting infrastructure around it.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
How is that any different, really? There will still be instances where we're talking fractions of a line, it'll still be using the current best technology available, which everyone seems to believe has close to zero accuracy. All this suggestion (like most suggestions to improve the offside aspect of VAR) does is move the line.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think a better and quicker solution, and one that would be less controversial, is to decide based on the position of the attacker's most advanced foot and the defender's back foot.

If the heel of the defender is ahead of the toe of the striker then it's offside. All this armpits and elbows stuff is bollocks, it's really about the feet.

If it's too close to call then benefit of the doubt goes to the attacking side.

Shorehamseagull

Dec 23, 2019
This won’t work for a close goal line style goal.

If you’re 1-2m from the goal line and majority of your body is offside then you’ve gained an advantage.

There has to be a margin of error introduced like a band. It wouldn’t be hard to work out the +/- accuracy. My guess would be around 10cm with current technology.

This need to take into account the frame rate of the cameras and the decision of when the ball was actually kicked.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
like cricket and tennis Would need a change to rules but what about Either foot over line off side.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here