Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Fedor Chalov

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Even that is not right. As I understand it, it was purely a point of principle, on Bloom's part:

1. Gus scouted VVD extensively, and told the club to get him.

2. The club negotiated a deal to buy him (The figures are not important, but it was about €2.5m), and VVD was keen to sign.

3. Groeningen agreed the price, but decided that because they were fighting against relegation, that they would not allow the deal to proceed until the end of the season. The clubs shook hands on that arrangement.

4. By the end of the season, VVD had attracted a little more attention, including from Celtic, so feeling they now had a slightly stronger hand to play, Groeningen told the Albion the player was still their's but the price had gone up to €3m.

5. Tony Bloom told them they'd agreed a deal, and if they were not going to honour it, he was not doing business with them.

So, nothing at all to do with not having the money, norwith not feeling the deal represented good value - just a matter of principle. A shame we missed out on a great player, but personally I'm with Bloom - good on him.

I'm not in the know but the above doesn't sound that plausible to me. It doesn't take into account VVD's wishes. As a high potential player at a relatively low power club, he would have been in a position to have a large say in choosing his move. Clearly Celtic would have been much more attractive than us. Even if Groeningen had kept to this verbal agreement, it's very hard to see that VVD would have agreed to the deal when he would have been playing Div 2 football for 10k a week less.

Anyway, history now and every club has the players that they nearly signed. We'll have to wait for his autobiography to have a chance of finding out the truth

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Only very briefly, half a season with us, and then another dozen games or so for Southampton. not at Premier League level either.

Yeh he wasn't here long. But my (totally faded) memory was that he was brilliant.

I started going in 88 and he was the first player I saw for us who was any good

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Even that is not right. As I understand it, it was purely a point of principle, on Bloom's part:

1. Gus scouted VVD extensively, and told the club to get him.

2. The club negotiated a deal to buy him (The figures are not important, but it was about €2.5m), and VVD was keen to sign.

3. Groeningen agreed the price, but decided that because they were fighting against relegation, that they would not allow the deal to proceed until the end of the season. The clubs shook hands on that arrangement.

4. By the end of the season, VVD had attracted a little more attention, including from Celtic, so feeling they now had a slightly stronger hand to play, Groeningen told the Albion the player was still their's but the price had gone up to €3m.

5. Tony Bloom told them they'd agreed a deal, and if they were not going to honour it, he was not doing business with them.

So, nothing at all to do with not having the money, norwith not feeling the deal represented good value - just a matter of principle. A shame we missed out on a great player, but personally I'm with Bloom - good on him.

Don't forget we signed Matt Upson that January and then extended him in the summer as he performed so well.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
How many more times if we had HAVE not if we had OF

Pet hate and hurts my eyes - bloody Facebook generation who are lazy ***** :thumbsup:
Perhaps it's time for Bozza to apply a Mike Dean type solution? Any attempts to type should of, would of, could or had of would be autocorrected so that the 'of' appears as 'have' - a win/win situation - those of us who are rightly annoyed by the appalling grammar of 'should of' would be happy, and the more grammatically ignorant would be gently but firmly educated.

Simples.

Innit.............

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Let's add all those people who say they will "try and [do something]" when what they really mean is that they will "try to [do something]".

The former implies that once they try, success is 100% guaranteed. The latter implies that they'll try, but success is not guaranteed. In my experience, the latter is what is meant the vast majority of the time.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Perhaps it's time for Bozza to apply a The Complete And Utter Shyster type solution? Any attempts to type should of, would of, could or had of would be autocorrected so that the 'of' appears as 'have' - a win/win situation - those of us who are rightly annoyed by the appalling grammar of 'should of' would be happy, and the more grammatically ignorant would be gently but firmly educated.

Simples.

Innit.............

There could of course exist situations where this rule is not appropriate...

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Seriously....

Can we SING Fyodor within the next 2 weeks ?

Or is our recruitment department full of light weight amateurs ? ???

SING HIM UP, Tony !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here