Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Silly idea to come for a game?

teammelli

Jul 25, 2018
Hi friends,

As some of you know I've been lurking here for a while now, ever since Alireza joined I got into Brighton football and this became my team.
I follow fervently and am so excited to be a BHA supporter.
Even wear BHA items on in-week game days (I live in the US) and some of my coworkers think I'm crazy.
I was considering coming over to catch a game at the Amex, and wondering what you think of this idea. Is it hard to get from London (I'm assuming it'd be Heathrow) to Brighton? I'd like to come to a home game where we have a better chance at winning, so maybe Newcastle at the end or something, not against the big 6 even though they have the "flashier" names, I'd like to be in a raucous joyous stadium.

All this being said, is this crazy and is it going to be harder than it sounds to fly in say 1-2 days before and come down to Brighton, spend a few nights in a hotel to catch the game? I just don't know what to expect and the internet including tripadvisor is strangely not as helpful as I thought.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Gatwick isasier airport to use. There's a regular train service straight to Brighton. If you go to Heathrow you'd need either a Bus, Taxi(expensive as you're going quite a distance) or to take the underground to either Victoria or London Bridge and then the train down.

Brighton is a tourist town so there should be no problem finding somewhere to stay. As for a ticket, that shouldn't be too difficult to find, I've never had too many problems whenever I've come over. Speak to the club office. Newcastle would be a good one to come to, last home game of the season, plenty of away fans about and with a little luck some good weather.

You might even get to see Ali J in his full pomp too.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Write to the club, tell them which game(s) you're coming to, they will sell you a ticket.

If you flew into Gatwick, you can arrive as late as noon on the game day itself.
You could also book the last flight out therefore negating staying over and bringing a spare pair of pants.

You could be back in America just as the ref blows the final whistle. :lolol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Something to consider. Games can switch date and time due to tv and/or FA cup involvement. The Newcastle game isn’t on a cup date so if you book a flight to arrive Friday noon and return Tuesday morning you will cover all possible outcomes.....I think. Maybe someone can confirm this.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
Sounds like a lovely idea. But as others have said, come to Gatwick (don't leave your arrival time until 3 hours before kick off as SB helpfully suggested!). And be sure the date of the game is confirmed before you book any tickets. As for wanting a game we're likely to win, we've just as much chance thrashing Arsenal at the moment as anyone else, and is always great fun when we upset their apple cart!

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Hi friends,

As some of you know I've been lurking here for a while now, ever since Alireza joined I got into Brighton football and this became my team.
Even wear BHA items on in-week game days (I live in the US) and some of my coworkers think I'm crazy.
I was considering coming over to catch a game at the Amex, and wondering what you think of this idea. Is it hard to get from London (I'm assuming it'd be Heathrow) to Brighton? I'd like to come to a home game where we have a better chance at winning, so maybe Newcastle at the end or something, not against the big 6 even though they have the "flashier" names, I'd like to be in a raucous joyous stadium.

All this being said, is this crazy and is it going to be harder than it sounds to fly in say 1-2 days before and come down to Brighton, spend a few nights in a hotel to catch the game? I just don't know what to expect and the internet including tripadvisor is strangely not as helpful as I thought.

I usually fly over once or twice a season although only from Malta. Definitely recommend Gatwick over Heathrow.
Also, if you want to stay longer, you can easily find a hotel near the airport with buses to and from and it's a simple and quick train ride into London.
If you are just coming for the game and not worried about sightseeing:
I usually use Travelodge to stay. There are two in brighton and the one in North Street is in walking distance from the Station and the 25 bus stops nearby and takes you to a few minutes walk from the Stadium. Just follow the people wearing blue and white :)
The travelodge is ideally located for pubs and restaurants in the town centre and is very cheap. (I don't work for them BTW)Also, I agree with the comments about waiting for Sky to determine our kick off day and time before booking flights etc.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
If you can't avoid heathrow, it's not too big a deal. The tube (picadilly line) runs from heathrow, change to the victoria line at green park, to get to victoria. (or get out at green park and walk to victoria, it's about 10-15 minute walk). Or go to gloucester road and change to the district line to victoria. 45-55 minute journey time.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Hi friends,

I was considering coming over to catch a game at the Amex, and wondering what you think of this idea.
If you come, it would be ideal if you get to see Alireza play. Obviously you're aware he did well yesterday, so if possible, give it a little longer to see if he gets the chance to play for us regularly.

Is it hard to get from London (I'm assuming it'd be Heathrow) to Brighton?
No.

All this being said, is this crazy and is it going to be harder than it sounds to fly in say 1-2 days before and come down to Brighton, spend a few nights in a hotel to catch the game?
If all you're going to do is watch the game, then it is a long way to come. But if you're planning on leaving the hotel and enjoy the city while you're here, then no it's not crazy. Particularly if you leave it to the end of the season when the weather is good (you'll find out if Alireza is still with us when the January transfer window closes).

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
If you come to the last game, weather should be good, a weekend in Brighton is always worthwhile, there's a good chance of a result against Newcastle and, as long as he's still here come the end of Jan, you'll definitely see Ali J get round the pitch at least once :thumbsup:

teammelli

Jul 25, 2018
Thank you so much for all your helpful replies, this is great info!
Whether AJ is still with the team or not, I'll still be in my blue and white, unfortunately for you lot I think you have me for life.
Yes I'd love to see the town too.
Thanks again for all the advice.

West Hove Gullies

Feb 11, 2018
If you allow time to hang around for a couple of hours after the end of the game, you can meet the players as they come out of the stadium and head to their cars. We've done it twice and both times the players (including Alireza) were happy to stand for photos and sign autographs.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
If you're coming for the Newcastle game keep an eye open for TV games that weekend. As soon as the KO is confirmed, book your flight. Personally, I'd make a long weekend of it, arrive Friday and leave Tuesday. Plenty of advice on here regarding getting to Brighton, Hotels and eating. You may struggle with pubs though as we're all teetotal!

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Whether AJ is still with the team or not, I'll still be in my blue and white, unfortunately for you lot I think you have me for life.

Bollox to that.
There's a direct flight out of JFK leaving at 22:20, which arrives at Gatwick 10am match day.

I'm struggling to get you home again as the best last flight out I can find at the moment leaves at 17:10.

So at the moment keep your eyes open for another 12:30 Saturday kick off.

Finish work on Friday.
Get to JFK (I doubt your that far away it's only America)
Fly over night.
Walk the 100 yards from Arrivals to the train platform.
In Brighton by 11.
Breakfast in 'Spoons.
Off to the game.
Train to Gatwick.
Home Sunday morning.

Piece of wee-wee.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Hi friends,

If you do decide to go for it, be sure to contact the club via the 'special occasion' link here

As it's your first live game and you're making the effort to travel so far, I'm sure they'll be keen to help out.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Don't forget to read the terms and conditions-would hate for your day to be ruined by a bottle top.:thumbsup:

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Something to consider. Games can switch date and time due to tv and/or FA cup involvement. The Newcastle game isn’t on a cup date so if you book a flight to arrive Friday noon and return Tuesday morning you will cover all possible outcomes.....I think. Maybe someone can confirm this.

I am always impressed/staggered by the amount of away fans who book extended weekends in Brighton to cover all possibilities of fixtures changing for tv. Quite an investment for a single match.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010

Post a picture of you in your Albion top, always good to see our American friends kitted out

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here