Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Three!

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Three - The amount of goals we have had disallowed by VAR because of a Dan Burn offside this season. The problem is he’s just so bloody big, he can stand with his feet level but his shoulders will be a yard offside.

So the question is, is Dan Burn the unluckiest player in our history?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I don't count a finger as offside or a clear and obvious advantage, VAR isn't football, it is anti football.

Hendrax

Jan 23, 2013
Worthing
As I mentioned on the match thread. There is no definitive way to tell when the ball left the passers foot. Therefore they must add a +/- 25mm margin of error to allow for this.

Or add sensors/lasers to all boots and balls ???

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
As I understood it, VAR does not count from the hand, as the hand cannot score, so it is taken from the arm pit, as that is where handball is taken from? The frame rate on the TV has a margin of error, so the timing of the ball being kicked will also have a margin of error.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
As I understood it, VAR does not count from the hand, as the hand cannot score, so it is taken from the arm pit, as that is where handball is taken from? The frame rate on the TV has a margin of error, so the timing of the ball being kicked will also have a margin of error.

In that case a Zaha forearm v Southampton should not have been given a VAR offside, but guess what? It was. Dan Burn DID NOT have an armpit (what a joke that is) offside.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Taller players have an obvious disadvantage when it comes to VAR offside, as they have longer limbs.

I still support VAR, but why are limbs included in the decision when they offer no advantage in play?

His knuckle was literally responsible for his offside today. Ridiculous.

So if Frodo Baggins and Gandalf raced each other over 100 metres, and there was a tie.
Would Gandalf come second:wink:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I don't count a finger as offside or a clear and obvious advantage, VAR isn't football, it is anti football.
A finger is offside - well maybe not a finger as you can't score with a finger, but a toenail. or a nose-hair or a semi ..................... it may be a 'clear' offside in slo-mo from six different angles - but the on-field referee not spotting the bo-hair involved is not a clear and obvious error. So VAR should butt out; end of.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
So if Frodo Baggins and Gandalf raced each other over 100 metres, and there was a tie.
Would Gandalf come second:wink:

There is no viable evidence that VAR is employed in Middle Earth. Besides, Bilbo has gone to the Grey Havens long ago .....................................

......and perrr-lease! - metres in Hobbiton? Yards ffs you idiot!

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Felt for him today that was a brilliant turn and finish and to have that taken away from him for such a ridiculous decision is very harsh

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Three - The amount of goals we have had disallowed by VAR because of a Dan Burn offside this season. The problem is he’s just so bloody big, he can stand with his feet level but his shoulders will be a yard offside.

So the question is, is Dan Burn the unluckiest player in our history?

No he needs to do shoulder reducing exercises.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
A finger is offside - well maybe not a finger as you can't score with a finger, but a toenail. or a nose-hair or a semi ..................... it may be a 'clear' offside in slo-mo from six different angles - but the on-field referee not spotting the bo-hair involved is not a clear and obvious error. So VAR should butt out; end of.

I’d so love to agree with you but.....

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

You do realise the clear and obvious rule doesn't apply to offside?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Yes it does, certainly according to Dermot Gallagher on ref watch on SSN - and to everyone else as far as I can see.

I listened to him after a game when he said an encroaching player at a penalty is only pinged if it has an effect on the outcome. Wtf does that mean. He is wrong .... by the new laws of the game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here