Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] VAR red card

Stephen Seagull

Oct 6, 2015
Barcelona
What was it checking for?

If anything it’s a yellow for play acting, again!

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Ridiculous wasn't it - they were checking for 'violent conduct'. Unsurprisingly they said there was none, as there was nothing there. Yet a few minutes later a Bournemouth player raises his foot and catches propper (?), in a similar vein to Stephens' red card at Boro, and as far as I can tell it wasn't even checked. Why not? And that's (one of) the most irritating things with VAR - the inconsistency.

And then in the last minute, Murray has a shot when he was clearly offside, but the lino kept his flag down as he is meant to if it's 'close'. If Murray had scored it would have been ruled out, but because he didn't, we got a corner. So, what would have happened if we had scored from that?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
They were, I think, checking to see if he kicked the player, while trying to get the ball out from under the bournemouth after he needlessly collapsed on it to win a free kick.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
They were, I think, checking to see if he kicked the player, while trying to get the ball out from under the bournemouth after he needlessly collapsed on it to win a free kick.

Judging by the Bournemouth's reaction I assumed that they were checking that Burn hadn't shot him in the face.

He was just too good for them.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
The more this farce of VAR goes on the more it is turning me off football as a spectator sport. A finger is ahead of the last defender? You are f**king off my enjoyment PL, FA, UEFA, FIFA. I don't care that it was Zaha but just saw him given offside for a goal by Meyer for less than a forearm... happened at the Wolves v City game yesterday? I just hate this c**ting thing with a passion!! Get the f**k out of our game!! Scuse language but football is about passion and this is killing it.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
The more this farce of VAR goes on the more it is turning me off football as a spectator sport. A finger is ahead of the last defender? You are f**king off my enjoyment PL, FA, UEFA, FIFA. I don't care that it was Zaha but just saw him given offside for a goal by Meyer for less than a forearm... happened at the Wolves v City game yesterday? I just hate this c**ting thing with a passion!! Get the f**k out of our game!! Scuse language but football is about passion and this is killing it.

When playing as a striker we were always told to “Play off the shoulder of the last man” with this VAR shit there would have been a toe or finger many times offside... it truly is ruining the game.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Judging by the Bournemouth's reaction I assumed that they were checking that Burn hadn't shot him in the face.

He was just too good for them.

This. Was right in front of us. No way was it a red card and why didn't he get a yellow for simulation - or for the foul 10 mins later on Propper.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
When playing as a striker we were always told to “Play off the shoulder of the last man” with this VAR shit there would have been a toe or finger many times offside... it truly is ruining the game.

That Zaha offside was his momentum taking him forward on a run and he gets a VAR offside for a forearm. I was always told that it has to be clear and obvious and gaining an advantage. Was Dan Burn gaining an advantage by having a finger in front of the last defender? It really is a joke, absolute farce... and yes, what you say is absolutely correct. Unless something happens soon I'll just stop watching.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
No apology needed

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Watched that, first time ever felt anything in Zaha's favour. Ridiculous, and as you say anti-football. Bin var immediately.

If you're running forward you are going to be using your arms for momentum, how on earth can that be offside? I'm just so deflated by VAR technology and I'll call it for anyone, not just us.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Surely the best way would be to judge offside would be by the positioning of the players feet?

Or is that too simple ???

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Please can someone pull up a VAR-difference [like goal-difference] - as in, outcome favoured us vs outcome did not favour us.

I have a gut-feel it might be close to 50:50

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Please can someone pull up a VAR-difference [like goal-difference] - as in, outcome favoured us vs outcome did not favour us.

I have a gut-feel it might be close to 50:50

I've been keeping this going:

Game Goals Other Without VAR Points different in the unlikely event absolutely everything else in the game remained the same, without VAR
v Watford (a) No impact Claim for handball against us reviewed, not given. No change 0
v West Ham (h) One goal (for) disallowed Offside clear enough to have been caught, did the assistant not flag because instructed not to (would he have flagged if no VAR)? 0/-2
v Southampton (h) One goal (for) disallowed Only one goal chalked off, lost by two. 0
v Man City (a) No impact No change 0
v Burnley (h) No impact No change 0
v Newcastle (a) No impact Alzate went down by goalkeeper, no pen given, review confirms no foul No change 0
v Chelsea (a) No impact Penalty No change 0
v Tottenham (h) No impact No change 0
v Aston Villa (a) One goal (against) disallowed Lost anyway 0
v Everton (h) One goal (for) not given (flag was up for offside anyway) Connelly seemingly slipped, review gave penalty 2-1 down. The penalty saw a swing in momentum in our favour, definitely drew us level, could have been the key moment that led to our win +2
v Norwich (h) No impact Goalmouth scramble ended with a foul by Maupay, check for red- not given No change 0
v Man Utd (a) Reviewed second utd goal, but despite commentators claiming the ball hit maguire's hand, allowed to stand High foot to Alzate's chest reviewed for a red, not given. Quite comprehensively outplayed, 3-1 loss, even if the goal had been chalked off, still looking at a loss 0
v Leicester (h) Penalty goal reviewed - follow up scored, penalty retaken for both teams encroaching No change 0
v Liverpool (a) No impact no change 0
v Arsenal (a) One (against) disallowed Check on free kick on edge of box Arsenal go 2-1 up when they had a lot of momentum, would be hard to see us come back. +2
v Wolves (h) No impact Check for penalty (handball) after Dunk laid on the ball, no offence No change 0
v Palace (a) no impact Check for penalty, somehow not given. Ref didn't give the penalty, so without VAR there would be no difference, there just should have been a difference. 0
v Sheff Utd (h) Check on two Sheff goals, both disallowed. The second lino appeared to suspect offside. One Brighton offside goal checked and offside confirmed. First Sheff goal would stand, second lino may have flagged if not instructed to not flag close calls. Brighton 'goal' was flagged before it went in, check was process, would not have stood. Without VAR the loss would have been heavier. 0
v Tottenham (a) Tottenham goal ruled out at 0-0. Tottenham take the lead, keep momentum, probably win comfortably. They managed to come back from a goal down to win anyway. 0
v Bournemouth (h) Brighton goal ruled out at 1-0 Check for red card foul by brighton, not given, check for penalty for handball by bournemouth not given go 2-0 up in the first half and get more comfort and momentum. Still won. 0
[td]
[td]
[td]
[td]
[td]
[td]
[td]
[td]
[td]
[td]
[td]
[td]
[td]
[td]
[td]
[td]
[td]
[td]
[td]
[td]
[td]

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
This. Was right in front of us. No way was it a red card and why didn't he get a yellow for simulation - or for the foul 10 mins later on Propper.

What annoyed me was that If Wilson hadn’t gone as if he’d been shot, the game would’ve just continued.

VAR only got involved because of his play acting.

How can that be right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
That Zaha offside was his momentum taking him forward on a run and he gets a VAR offside for a forearm. I was always told that it has to be clear and obvious and gaining an advantage. Was Dan Burn gaining an advantage by having a finger in front of the last defender? It really is a joke, absolute farce... and yes, what you say is absolutely correct. Unless something happens soon I'll just stop watching.

Won’t stop me going to support Brighton

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here