Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] My Player Ratings for the (half) Season

at15155

Jan 5, 2017
So these are my ratings of the players we use the most in the (half) season as we've reached the 19 game mark. All views are my own, feel free to read through and discuss if you agree or disagree with any of it ahead of the second half of the season.

Mat Ryan - 7/10
Easily our 1st choice keeper has made some really important saves and kept us in games/saved vital points. Adapting well to playing out from the back, one of the only players who doesn’t over play and gets rid when needed. Has got a few errors in him, although they are quite rare. Sheff United comes to mind but as both goals didn’t stand the blunders don’t really count.

Lewis Dunk - 9/10
Captain for a reason, has been with us through it all really and gets it. Was always a fantastic defender but now he’s showing how good he is on the ball as well. He is a great player, one of our MVPs and I think we’ll be lucky to keep him after this season. Contributed 2 goals as well. Not sure how he doesn’t get into that England team.

Adam Webster - 7/10
New boy and record signing. I personally think he’s done well for us and given us a different dynamic to what Shane brought. He’s very good going forward and good at defending. Think he is still adapting though and will get better with time. No escaping the odd error, the Sheff United one definitely cost us but has contributed 3 goals which is pretty good considering it’s his first season in the prem.

Dan Burn - 8/10
Big Dan Burn, where has he come from? Always on the fringes but never given a chance, somehow the only outfield player to play every minute for us. Now I think he’s a good player but not as good as the other two above in their positions. He has put in some good performances, not really made any big errors but I really like how he solved our LB crisis when Bernardo was out injured.

Shane Duffy - 7/10
Lost his place really and it is a shame, when he comes in he plays well but no secret Potter prefers the other 3 and arguably is the worst out of the 4 when it comes to ball playing. He is however, one of the best at defending and scoring at the other end. I’ve said before but I don’t really see him with much more of a future at the club and I personally think we will cash in whilst he still has value. He is still a very valuable asset to the team at both ends and I would love it if we could keep him for at least another season.

Martin Montoya - 6.5/10
Had a bright start to the season but it is no secret that these wingback positions are our weakest and need improving in the coming windows. He has done a good enough job for me to see the season out but don’t think he has done as much as the other players in defence, probably because he isn’t much of a defender now, more of a wing back so goes a bit more unnoticed.

Dale Stephens - 7.5/10
I think he’s another one of out MVPs. Always the scape goat but it’s no surprise that when we play badly he’s also having a stinker. Half the time you don’t even notice he’s playing and that is exactly what he’s there to do. He break up opponents attacks very well and sets us on the front foot. Some of his passing between the lines has been outstanding, need to find a replacement for him as he’s getting on a bit now. Recent form has taken a slight dip after his suspension.

Davy Pröpper - 8/10
A new man in this system, plays with flair and confidence, takes players on and loves to get forward. I think he’s done really well and links up well with the others. Good goal vs Wolves, but then an even better assist for Wolves’ equaliser.

Aaron Mooy - 8.5/10
This one needs to be made permanent and I’m sure it will be. He can play anywhere in the midfield and he does an amazing job for us, definitely one of the players of the (half) season so far. Would have given him a 9/10 but the silly red card vs Villa cost us in a game we were destined to win.

Pascal Groß - 7.5/10
Probably given the ball away the most out of the other midfield player but has also created the most and has an outstanding set piece delivery, bags of assists through the years and a fair few goals and had adapted to playing out wide well. A bargain for £3m, just wonder if we will keep or move on at the end of the season with the other players we have already or coming through.

Yves Bissouma - 6.5/10
Minimal appearances but has done a job when called upon. Played very well vs Palace and can actually beat a man. He shoots a lot, could be more clever about it but don’t mind him having a go if we’re just passing it side to side outside the 18 yard box. Needs more game time and will flourish in this system.

Steve Alzate - 7/10
First of two young guns to come in to try and make a difference. Has been played everywhere, he is so dynamic and will be a great asset for us in the years to come and not just this season. Hasn’t had enough time in my opinion to cement a place just because he’s been used in so many positions but performed well when called upon, didn’t look all the confident as a RB.

Leandro Trossard - 7/10
Has been great as an impact sub but still not fully comfortable with the division, hasn’t taken his chances with a starting role but believe it’s only a matter of time until he does. Has talent, has ability and we are lacking that player who can find the killer pass. He had it for Genk so I hope he can find it for us.

Neal Maupay - 8.5/10
Like him a lot, 7 goals already, has adapted well. He’s taken the burden off Murray and is doing well for us. Has a bit about him, shh’d the Palace fans, what’s not to love? Still very young and only going to get better. £16m an absolute bargain.

Aaron Connolly - 6.5/10
Now this one I suspect will divide opinion. This young lad seems to have a lot of potential but he has been given game time and only managed to score in one game. He is very good at running the line, giving defender something to think about but being a striker with 2 goals in 8 starts and 5 sub appearances isn’t good enough in my opinion. Like I said he will be a great player but he’s not quite at the level we require right now. If he could beat a man I think he’d be on his way to being a top class player. He will get there.

Graham Potter - 7/10
Changed us completely, we play attractive football and he’s getting the best out of some of our players. A great appointment and deserves his 6 year contract. He is still new to this however, we need to take more of our chances, don’t seem to be able to hold onto a lead and actually don’t look any better, points wise, as we did last season under Hughton. This is our 'transition phase', I think we will get better and I don’t really take much note of the table yet, it’s the next 19 that show us if he’s a good fit for us and I believe he is.

Last edited:

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Think the mark for Potter is harsh he has transformed the way we play and the players are completely bought into what he is doing. Achieving that in less than 6 months and in his first season in the PL deserves an 8.5 I think

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
You live up to your username by having Stephens as your number 4 on here :lolol:

Class player. A tired line I know but how many managers for us have picked him week in week out? Perhaps you need to have played football or have a decent understanding of the game to appreciate what a good player he is. A bit like the people who don't rate Jordan Henderson.

at15155

Jan 5, 2017
Think the mark for Potter is harsh he has transformed the way we play and the players are completely bought into what he is doing. Achieving that in less than 6 months and in his first season in the PL deserves an 8.5 I think

I see how he could be higher, I see 6 as average and he's performing above average right now. If we had the points to show for what we deserved then I'd have given him at least an 8.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Top five players (taking into account expectations at start of season)
1 Dunk - maintains his position as comfortably Albion’s best player
2 Burn - I didn’t think he had it on him. I was wrong.
3 Mooy - i know they don’t play in exactly the same positions but Imho he shows up propper and Stephens game after game
4 Alzate - hasn’t hit the heights of Connolly v spurs but has been more consistent than Arron and has come from nowhere
5 Maupay - work in progress but has held his own as our main man coming from the champ. The most demanding position. Sneaks ahead of trossard.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
My top 5

Dunk
Stephens
Mooy
Maupay
Alzate - I think is a star in the making, already one of our most intelligent players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
If those ratings were accurate we'd be 9th. or 10th, not 15th.

Agreed. Very generous IMO. We have done ok but not much more than that at this stage. Changing the way we play is always going to be hard but at the moment we are not scoring anywhere near enough goals to make up for the inevitable chances we give up / goals we concede for playing a more expansive game. I think it’ll come good. Potter isn’t going to change his style so fingers crossed we come good sooner rather than later.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
With 6 as satisfactory:

Ryan 6 Needs serious competition for the No 1 spot. Perhaps it is time to bring back Walton. Very good on the ground but suspect on crosses and shots in the air.
Webster 5 Disappointment a big buy who hasn't consistently performed with the ball at his feet as the reports about him suggested. Poor defending and it is often said your defence is only as strong as the weakest link, which is him.
Dunk 7 Mr
Reliable who has lead by example as captain he has had his moments but generally has held the back line together and performed well.
Burn 6 Not my fav but has done the job expected of him well
Montoya 6 Difficult half season caught between trying to get forward and covering for Webster.
Stephens 9 As they say if he has a good game Brighton do but if not Brighton dont and he has been the heart of our team.
Propper 8 Been a revelation under the Potter system.
Mooy 8 Has come on leaps and bounds with game time and recently has been out best player.
Gross 7 Goes unnoticed a lot and doesnt get the praise for half of it.
Maupay 7 By far our best striker but not a 20+ goal a season man.
Connolly 6 Settled in well and will improve with experience and age.
Duffy 6 Has never let us down when called upon with his no nonsense defending with one objective to win the ball.
Murray 5 Been a great servant but perhaps time to hang up his boots and perhaps concentrate on coaching Connolly and Maupay to become as consistent goal scorers.
Bernardo 6 Been out injured but has slotted in ok when he returned.
Alzate7 Been the best of our prospects and done well when called upon. Exciting times ahead for him.
Trossard 6 Had some great moments but not often enough. On many occasions he shone for 2 minutes with some superb football but then went and hid for 20 mins.
March n/a out injured.

Overall summary is that we have produced some entertaining football without the results to match it and unless there is a drastic change in our fortunes in the 2nd half of the season with us being able to keep the balls out of our net and putting them in the opponents I see a relegation battle ahead.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
If those ratings were accurate we'd be 9th. or 10th, not 15th.

Yes very generous......
I think Burn for example, after a good start is a 6, since October.

Just average - nothing wrong with that.....

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
With 6 as satisfactory:

Ryan 6 Needs serious competition for the No 1 spot. Perhaps it is time to bring back Walton. Very good on the ground but suspect on crosses and shots in the air.
Webster 5 Disappointment a big buy who hasn't consistently performed with the ball at his feet as the reports about him suggested. Poor defending and it is often said your defence is only as strong as the weakest link, which is him.
Dunk 7 Mr
Reliable who has lead by example as captain he has had his moments but generally has held the back line together and performed well.
Montoya 6 Difficult half season caught between trying to get forward and covering for Webster.
Stephens 9 As they say if he has a good game Brighton do but if not Brighton dont and he has been the heart of our team.
Mooy 8 Has come on leaps and bounds with game time and recently has been out best player.
Duffy 6 Has never let us down when called upon with his no nonsense defending with one objective to win the ball.
Murray 5 Been a great servant but perhaps time to hang up his boots and perhaps concentrate on coaching Connolly and Maupay to become as consistent goal scorers.
Alzate7 Been the best of our prospects and done well when called upon. Exciting times ahead for him.
Trossard 6 Had some great moments but not often enough. On many occasions he shone for 2 minutes with some superb football but then went and hid for 20 mins.
March n/a out injured.

Overall summary is that we have produced some entertaining football without the results to match it and unless there is a drastic change in our fortunes in the 2nd half of the season with us being able to keep the balls out of our net and putting them in the opponents I see a relegation battle ahead.

Think Gross, Stephens and Propper are probably one point too many, but difficult to argue with any of those IMO.

Elipsis

Sep 14, 2019
With 6 as satisfactory:

Dunk 7 Mr
March n/a out injured.

Spot-on assessment of the squad to date and how the season may pan out.

Sent from my 5039D_EEA using Tapatalk

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I agree with [MENTION=451]BensGrandad[/MENTION] regarding Webster, bloke can’t defend and that really doesn’t help whoever is playing right back.
5.5 for Webster, being generous as he’s scored some goals.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here