Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Has shooting from distance become a deliberate tactic of ours?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It feels as though, over recent games, we've taken more pot shots from around the edge of the box than has previously been the case.

It was most obvious against Palace and on a greasy pitch, where the ball was skidding across the surface, there seemed some merit in that approach.

However, I'm wondering if in an attempt to see a broader distribution of goals amongst the team, players have been instructed to not be so shot-shy and to have a dig when they fancy it.

Alternatively, I'm just imagining it, and nothing has changed.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
We're taking a hell of a lot more shots than last season thats for sure.

I can imagine GPott saying to the players to have a crack if you get half a chance and you never know if it goes on, gets a deflection or comes off the keeper and someone can knock in the rebound.

Just wonder how much of this is from a lack of a 'first choice' striker (assuming Andone was supposed to fill that role).

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
Having to resort to shooting from outside the box as we can no longer get in behind teams.

Opposition are happy for us to have the ball in wide areas because we do not have players who can hurt them out wide.

Play narrow against the Albion and you have every chance of stopping us.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
One thing that we do always do that's getting my goat is every standard throw in is kicked back to the throw take and 50% of the time the ball is immediately lost. Apart from long throws this is always our tactic and it is so lame it's actualy weird.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It feels as though, over recent games, we've taken more pot shots from around the edge of the box than has previously been the case.

It was most obvious against Palace and on a greasy pitch, where the ball was skidding across the surface, there seemed some merit in that approach.

However, I'm wondering if in an attempt to see a broader distribution of goals amongst the team, players have been instructed to not be so shot-shy and to have a dig when they fancy it.

I bloody hope so.......anyway, whatever the cause is, we're definitely more prepared to have a pop, I don't think you're imagining it. Stephens, Propper, Mooy, Alzate and Bissouma all have done so in recent games

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

And missing, don’t forget the missing part!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Given how many 'great goals' we see which are deflected, the more pop shots the better in my book.

Truly clear cut opportunities are scarce for anyone in the PL outside the select few.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
No issue with them having a pop shot but make the keeper work. Get them on target so that we have a second opportunity from a rebound or a corner.

You will never win the jackpot if you don’t buy a ticket!

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
After what seems a month long deluge we still gave the pitch an additional soaking before the Sheffield game.

That might be for the benefit the conversion rate of long distance shots.

Or equally it might not.

I know nothing about football.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Pleased we are getting more shots away. If we can only adjust our sights to avoid low flying aircraft. Phase 2 of the development programme is to test the keeper and I’m sure we’ll see that happen in the new year.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Shooting is good. We've been gagging for it for a while now. Still are, in fact. It's why we in the North automatically shout shoooooot! as soon as we get within about thirty yards of the goal with a modicum of space. Personally would far rather see Stephens, say, blast one far over the bar or far round the post, than not attempt the shot at all. Nobody's expecting them all to go in, but would always applaud the intent.

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
Having to resort to shooting from outside the box as we can no longer get in behind teams.

Opposition are happy for us to have the ball in wide areas because we do not have players who can hurt them out wide.

Play narrow against the Albion and you have every chance of stopping us.

Very much this and seemed especially true at Palace.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
No objections to shots from sensible positions that end up on target, as mentioned a deflection could work for us and we seem pretty good at regaining possession quickly from the opposition goal kicks

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
Shooting is good. We've been gagging for it for a while now. Still are, in fact. It's why we in the North automatically shout shoooooot! as soon as we get within about thirty yards of the goal with a modicum of space. Personally would far rather see Stephens, say, blast one far over the bar or far round the post, than not attempt the shot at all. Nobody's expecting them all to go in, but would always applaud the intent.

Nobody's expecting them all to go in,with Stephens and Propper nobody is expecting any to go in. Quite shocking and depressing really as Stephens had a clear shooting chance in the second half v Spurs and predictably it just sailed over the bar.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Nobody's expecting them all to go in,with Stephens and Propper nobody is expecting any to go in. Quite shocking and depressing really as Stephens had a clear shooting chance in the second half v Spurs and predictably it just sailed over the bar.

What would you rather he do? Take a shot? Or do his 9 times out of 10 usual timid pass sideways or backwards? Know which option I'd be inclined to encourage

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green

Interesting that you mention palace in which bissouma played and Stephens didn’t there’s the problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
Interesting that you mention palace in which bissouma played and Stephens didn’t there’s the problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
But all Bissouma did was run with the ball and shoot, his passing was off and his shots were extremely weak.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
It's not tactical, it's just that as the Amex is now officially a PL library, the players can hear the shouts of shoot from the stands whenever they are within 35 yards of the goal and therefore shoot to avoid being the player the moaners moan about (which obviously doesn't work when they hit the ball wide and/or high of the goal).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here