Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Defence is the problem, not goalscoring

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Increasingly big fan of Potter. Having watched the Palace, Arsenal and Spurs games this month, it's been an utter joy to see the kind of football we're knocking about.

We all have our opinions as armchair managers over why we're not yielding fruit from our performances. Many have said it's our inability to score goals whilst we're on top, but in my opinion I think it's our inability to defend our leads. We play a possession brand of football. It's almost an American Football type tactic. Rather than scoring goals quickly, you hold possession of the ball and drain as much of the clock as possible, with a goal at the end of it. But how quickly teams are scoring against us when they begin to attack!

Arsenal: we dominated the first half of football and scored. It took Arsenal five minutes of attacking to score an equaliser in the second half.
Palace: we dominated the game for 70 minutes and scored. It took Palace about six minutes of attacking to score an equaliser.
Spurs: we dominated the first half and scored. It took Spurs eight minutes of attacking to equalise against us, and then one more chance to take the lead.

Some would say that we need to score more during those periods of domination, but realistically how many teams of our calibre score more than one goal away from home in games such as these? Our inability to withstand any pressure once the tide turns is more the problem, from what I see.

These are just my thoughts. I can foresee this maybe being an issue for the rest of the season and one that Potter addresses in his second season as he becomes a bit savvier. As a former Hughton-in member, I would much prefer losing games how we are now than how we were last year though.

:albion2:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think we need a nasty ******* and Andone gets my vote.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
We aren’t as solid as we used to be but that comes with the style we are playing.

I’d argue goal scoring IS the problem .... we just don’t get enough goals.

The problem is goals from midfield, we don’t get enough which leaves us relying too much on Maupay and set play headers.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
If any mod can change the title to "defending" rather than defence, that'd be appreciated. Bit more accurate rather than me simply blaming the back three/four/five.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
As I said in another thread it wasn’t broken for the last two seasons and we’ve tinkered with it and now concede more or look like it most of the time .that is potters fault he is the coach . But at the other end You don’t shoot u don’t score . I’ve never been a Stephens fan while in the prem but until we get an upgrade on him Propper and gross we are going to struggle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Whilst I get what the OP is saying, and somewhat agree (the defending for their first goal today was pretty poor), if Connelly buries that header early in the second half, we’re 2-0 up and it’s a completely different game. That sums up the season so far for me. Not making dominance in games count and ultimately walking away feeling like we’ve dropped points. It’s just as much about not taking our chances/ making dominance count as it is withstanding pressure.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I have a new theory.

Defending and attacking are not problems but aspects of the game that need to work in harmony to exculpate the long grey winter of discontent.

Also, when one side scores more goals than the other side, and the side that scores more goals is Brighton then, by the fluff that lives in my navel, I need say no more. Fact.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
We need goals from midfield.

This x last 3 seasons, teams not going to make next step up until we have 2 central midfielders capable of scoring and 2 wingers capable of hurting teams too. March, when back from injury, is not one of those IMO. I think we miss Jose, he could strike from distance and score a worldy out of nowhere which is often the difference at this level.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Certainly at a cursory glance, the league table provides some validation that defence is our issue.

Our 22 goals have earned us 20 points. Contrast:

Sheffield United - 23 goals / 29 points
Crystal Palace - 17 goals / 26 points
Newcastle - 18 goals / 25 points
Burnley - 23 goals / 24 points
Everton - 21 goals / 22 points

Villa are the only side below us who have scored more yet earned fewer points.

We need to buy 2 new full backs in the window

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
As I said in another thread it wasn’t broken for the last two seasons and we’ve tinkered with it and now concede more or look like it most of the time .that is potters fault he is the coach . But at the other end You don’t shoot u don’t score . I’ve never been a Stephens fan while in the prem but until we get an upgrade on him Propper and gross we are going to struggle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you think any of our players need upgrading, you will immediately be called a 'hater' on here but I totally agree. All three of those players have decent qualities that people can point too, yet I totally agree with you. I'd like to see us upgrade one, two or all three of them. Assuming we can only upgrade one in January, then I would choose the one that we can get the most suitable replacement for. There isn't a single player of ours that I don't like but if we are going to progress, then some of our 'fans favourites' will need replacing. Mooy is an excellent upgrade, we need more goals from midfield and someone that will pick out earlier the excellent runs that Maupay makes. This is a bit of an 'in an ideal World' scenario though, I've no complaints really and love this team, both players and management. UTA.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
When we're under a bit of pressure, we buckle. Need to be far more resolute but we're not. Webster too lightweight, Dunk diving around on the floor, Stephens too slow to get a challenge in, Ryan makes himself look smaller than he already is. It's too easy to score against us sadly.

At least we've got Bournemouth next. We always beat them...

scooter1

How soon is now?
It’s great watching us going forward, but defensively we can be shaky. I know that Liverpool are a different level at the moment, but when required their defenders will put a boot through a clearance, and ours don’t. I’m not saying we move to hoof all, our players just need to improving their decision making. I’d like to see a return of DUFFY and Dunk together, just to get some familiarity and stability in central defence(and maybe add a few set piece goals). And obviously a few more goals from midfield, with a bit more bravery to take a shot from outside of the box

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
We don’t create enough clear cut chances. We are having more attempts on goal and obviously having more possession, but we seem to rely on half chances and the occasional worldie goals.

We lack that special player that can open up defences. Can we afford one of those please?

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
We need goals from midfield.

Shots on target from midfield would be a good start! Alzate's effort on the edge where he twisted and turned then drove a tame shot wide of the post sums up our midfield eye for goal currently. (Have we scored any screamers this season a la Knocky at palace last season!? Genuinely can't remember any!)

I do think the op makes a very valid point though. It has seemed like pretty much as soon as we lose control of a game, we concede - often with really soft goals too. Compare and contrast to how well sheff united kept us at bay and how solid they were to hold on to their 1 -0 win the other day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here